Front fog lights

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Hi all,
As the Life model doesn't come equipped with front fog lights, has anyone thought about retro-fitting these? With the other models, where physically are they? Integrated into the main front light fittings?

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

How sure are you that the othe models with Matrix headlights have front foglights? If they do, they're integrated onto the Matrix headlights because there are no additional lights on the front end of our family, but I'm pretty sure they don't. There's nothing additional on the lighting selectin on our Family when compared to our Life.

Why would you want front fogs anyway? I've genuinely only felt the need to put them on twice in the last 5 years. White LED light is poorat penetrating fog.

Front fog lights used to be on performance cars only, then fitted to cars trying to look sporty. My Golf R didn't even have fog lights.

No need to have front fog lights, and with no OEM solution too retrofit, it'll be hugely troublesome to fit some and likely untidy.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:30 am How sure are you that the othe models with Matrix headlights have front foglights? If they do, they're integrated onto the Matrix headlights because there are no additional lights on the front end of our family, but I'm pretty sure they don't. There's nothing additional on the lighting selectin on our Family when compared to our Life.

Why would you want front fogs anyway? I've genuinely only felt the need to put them on twice in the last 5 years. White LED light is poorat penetrating fog.

Front fog lights used to be on performance cars only, then fitted to cars trying to look sporty. My Golf R didn't even have fog lights.

No need to have front fog lights, and with no OEM solution too retrofit, it'll be hugely troublesome to fit some and likely untidy.
"How sure are you that the othe models with Matrix headlights have front foglights?"
I'm not sure. I was looking at the VW build web site and, apart from the Life model, it looked like there was an extra light button in the lighting cluster.

"Why would you want front fogs anyway?"
Where we now live, it gets quite foggy. Like now for instance. When we first moved here, I was glad I had them on my Fiesta on a couple of occasions.

"I've genuinely only felt the need to put them on twice in the last 5 years."
It's a good point but if you need them, they are a God send.
smuj

Post by smuj »

Like others have posted not something I use. However, not sure whether the following could be classed as fog lights. Not bothered trying them out though.

4D75F2FF-300D-4E64-829F-D891B9AAC6D9.jpeg

Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

smuj wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:52 am Like others have posted not something I use. However, not sure whether the following could be classed as fog lights. Not bothered trying them out though.
Does that apply to all models?
smuj

Post by smuj »

Scratch wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:53 am
smuj wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:52 am Like others have posted not something I use. However, not sure whether the following could be classed as fog lights. Not bothered trying them out though.
Not sure to be honest. I’ve not looked to see if they are on my car and so far I’ve not been out in the dark so not used the headlights. It was just something I remembered seeing during my going through the user manual. I would expect them to be on cars with the matrix lights at least but don’t remember seeing them listed in the brochure anywhere.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

Scratch wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:53 am
Poor weather lights are only on the Matrix setup
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Matrix headlight cars have a FRONT button on the light control panel.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

scott28tt wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:13 pm Matrix headlight cars have a FRONT button on the light control panel.
I'm beginning to feel so "down market" with my Life model. Although, I checked the present cost of buying the latest Life model and it's now about £7k more than what I paid last September! Not sure I would pay that today. It seems EV ownership is getting much more expensive, thanks to our wonderful future looking government.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Definitely not fog lights. Been out in the Family today, they pretty much just put dipped beam on even when it's light enough for them not to be on. If the weather is poor though, the light would presumably be low enough for the auto lights to put dipped beam on anyway? We don't generally get pouring rain in blazing sunshine.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:18 am
scott28tt wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:13 pm Matrix headlight cars have a FRONT button on the light control panel.
I'm beginning to feel so "down market" with my Life model. Although, I checked the present cost of buying the latest Life model and it's now about £7k more than what I paid last September! Not sure I would pay that today. It seems EV ownership is getting much more expensive, thanks to our wonderful future looking government.
Not just the Government - VW pulling the deposit contribution accounts for £1750. If I was deciding whether to buy an ID3 or another ICE right now, it'd probably be an.ICE. No way I'd be paying a net £31k+ for a Life or net £33k+ for a Family with pretty much just the discount from the dealership's margin. The current DTD price for our Family is now approx £5600 more than we paid for outs.

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:24 pm
Scratch wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:18 am
Not just the Government - VW pulling the deposit contribution accounts for £1750. If I was deciding whether to buy an ID3 or another ICE right now, it'd probably be an.ICE. No way I'd be paying a net £31k+ for a Life or net £33k+ for a Family with pretty much just the discount from the dealership's margin. The current DTD price for our Family is now approx £5600 more than we paid for outs.
Good luck with getting any discount from a dealer, when the demand is so high. Our Life spec now comes out as just over £36050 on the VW website. I too would either have gone for an ICE or just kept my old ICE.
bowsh123

Post by bowsh123 »

I used my front fog lights today as it's been pretty foggy here. Matrix headlights fitted. It just appeared to be the cornering lights or similar lighting up which made it easier to see the edge of the road.