Charging cable not releasing

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
smuj

Post by smuj »

So far in my brief ownership I’ve used the Pod Point 7kW chargers at my local Tesco twice, mainly just to get some experience in public chargers.

Both times I’ve struggled to get the charging cable to unlock. I’ve tried all the usual things; stopping the charge on the screen unlocking/re-locking, pressing unlock on the fob 2,3,4 times and still refuses to unlock. Then after about ten minutes of this it just unlocks for no apparent reason.

There was an earlier thread about this but no resolution and so wondered if this was normal with these types of Pod Point chargers or am I doing something wrong?
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.

Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I've never had a problem with it releasing with any sort of charger whether it stops itself due to charge reached or I stop it on the screen it just pulls out
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi
I’m not 100% sure but I think you first stop the charge then press unlock on the key fob then take out the car end cable first.
Rwws may know more as he uses them more
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

I had one experience of this with a local Osprey charger. Along with their helpdesk we tried everything we could think of, including the manual release cable in the boot. I was just about call out the VW Roadside assistance when it suddenly released.

Did you try the manual release? It might work, so it's probably worth locating it in case it happens again.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

smuj wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:46 am So far in my brief ownership I’ve used the Pod Point 7kW chargers at my local Tesco twice, mainly just to get some experience in public chargers.

Both times I’ve struggled to get the charging cable to unlock. I’ve tried all the usual things; stopping the charge on the screen unlocking/re-locking, pressing unlock on the fob 2,3,4 times and still refuses to unlock. Then after about ten minutes of this it just unlocks for no apparent reason.

There was an earlier thread about this but no resolution and so wondered if this was normal with these types of Pod Point chargers or am I doing something wrong?
From the car or from the charger?
I found the podpoint charger end really tight.
Had to give it a hard tug.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
smuj

Post by smuj »

I stopped the charge OK but I couldn’t remove the cable from either the car or the charger. The light stopped pulsing green and went to white but no luck releasing the cable. Tried locking/unlocking the car and quickly pressing the key fob twice as in the manual. Was on the point of trying the manual release but then it suddenly released at the car end and I was able to remove the cable. Not sure what I did to enable this but it happened both times I used the charger. I’ve not had any issues unplugging my home charger the few times I’ve used it.
Smuj

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Empathise with you Smuj. My first public charge the plug wouldn't detach from the charger. Hopefully you put it behind you and like mine it doesn't happen again.
I always make sure I double click quickly to open.
Cable release automatic in settings.
Let us know how it goes on your next public charge.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
smuj

Post by smuj »

Thanks Daveion. Not too concerned as it’s one charger and not one I’d use as I only tried it for the experience. My next tryout will be an InstaVolt in Leominster about 20 odd miles away but it’s the nearest to where I live. Probably after Christmas as I’m in no hurry. I hardly ever make any long journeys as family are only 45 miles away so no need for any stops. We do a couple of trips to Devon each year, 150 miles one way, with a few rapids within 5-6 miles from where we stay. That’s about it.
Smuj

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Similar here. Its still nice to know though when you are on a long trip you will not encounter charging issues. My away trips so far have been first class on podpoints or BP Pulse.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
rawws

Post by rawws »

smuj wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:46 am So far in my brief ownership I’ve used the Pod Point 7kW chargers at my local Tesco twice, mainly just to get some experience in public chargers.

Hi i regularly use the pod points have the release issue in the early days until i clicked the settings auto disconnect in the charging setting in the infotainment sorry forgot what the actual setting is called it allows you to stop the charge session and release cable as soon as charger stops. Never had any issues since.
Also locking car and unlocking car releases the charge cable too as long as the charge session has stopped.

Last resort someone mentioned there is a manual switch in the boot area you can pull to manual release it although never had to do that havent had any issues since, locking and unlocking with key fob 99% realeases the cable
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw
smuj

Post by smuj »

Thanks rawws. I know the setting you mean and I’ll try that next time I use that charger. Don’t normally select that option as I’d hate to get back to the car and find the cable had walked.
Smuj