First trip away from home

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Tabletop

Post by Tabletop »

Have had our ID3 for about 4 weeks now, Family pro with head up. Range is reporting 183 miles at 80% fairly consistently. Did our first trip from West Midlands to Edinburgh last Sunday, returning yesterday. I’d planned the stops with plan B and C, intending to use gridserve 50kWh chargers as much as possible - contactless, no app needed, 30p/kWh.

First stop was not gridserve, was at a garage just off M6 junction 27 which has about 6 150kwh chargers, 39p/KWh. It charged to 80% at speeds of 240mph.

Tried gridserve at Tebay, but only a couple of chargers serving both north and south bound traffic. Was a queue of cars waiting, so took a chance and headed to gridserve at southwaite about 30 miles further on. No problems there, straight on to 50kWh charger.

After that it got really good, chargeplace Scotland at Crawford has free to use 50kWh. And we found several of these around Edinburgh, all free. Didn’t have to pay again until southbound journey on return to England.

It really was no hassle at all, never once were we worried about range or not getting charged, and when we were charging it was always done in time it takes to visit loo and get a coffee.

tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Thanks for sharing.
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

Good to hear you had no charging worries.

But otherwise, how did you enjoy the journey (or not)?
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi
Good to hear you had a good trip.
I’ve also used gridserve successfully at Baldock services and is one of the new 120kw chargers that is replacing the 50kw ones .
A lot of people still criticise gridserve but they are improving fast and definitely worth a go
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
Tabletop

Post by Tabletop »

chrisfs wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:22 pm
It was great, the car encourages a laid back driving style. The ACC was very good. Only criticism is reliance of screen to do most things. Okay when there’s a passenger but means relying on voice when solo.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Tabletop wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:58 pm Have had our ID3 for about 4 weeks now
It all seems so far away!! Glad you have the car and done a long journey in it, particularly pleased that you managed Scotland with relative ease. Enjoy!
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Tabletop wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:02 pm
chrisfs wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:22 pm
It was great, the car encourages a laid back driving style. The ACC was very good. Only criticism is reliance of screen to do most things. Okay when there’s a passenger but means relying on voice when solo.

What kinds of "things" did you find yourself having to do?
Tabletop

Post by Tabletop »

>. What kinds of "things" did you find yourself having to do?

Mostly related to climate control. If windscreen steams up and I press the button behind steering wheel to delist, when I turn that off after a minute it doesn’t turn everything off/return to the state before turning on. It leaves some residual air con switched on, which can only be disabled by accessing the climate menu and pressing a few icons. Similar if turning demise on by screen/climate, have to go through a few screens to switch it on then off, and there is no ‘Off’, have to slide the AC slider to zero to get it to go off. All too involved for driver. Ideally the button behind steering wheel would turn desist on, then turn it off. I think I need to experiment more with the voice control.
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

Tabletop wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:13 am >. What kinds of "things" did you find yourself having to do?

Mostly related to climate control. If windscreen steams up and I press the button behind steering wheel to delist, when I turn that off after a minute it doesn’t turn everything off/return to the state before turning on. It leaves some residual air con switched on, which can only be disabled by accessing the climate menu and pressing a few icons. Similar if turning demise on by screen/climate, have to go through a few screens to switch it on then off, and there is no ‘Off’, have to slide the AC slider to zero to get it to go off. All too involved for driver. Ideally the button behind steering wheel would turn desist on, then turn it off. I think I need to experiment more with the voice control.
Delist, demise, desist. Love it!

But we know what you meant…
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

I don't think I have changed the climate control settings since we had the car in September. Leave on 19 degrees, never mists up.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
Deleted User 192

Tabletop wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:13 am >. What kinds of "things" did you find yourself having to do?

Why not just leave the AC on? It’s much more simple than constantly switching it on or off, or adjusting it up and down…
durhamlad

Post by durhamlad »

Thanks for sharing the details of your trip. Very encouraging.
id.3 Family Pro Performance ordered 8/11/21, build week 17, then 23 then 40, then 45, then 50, then delivery expected in January, 2023, picked up the car on January 16th. Yay!
Order number 31316***
Tabletop

Post by Tabletop »

> Why not just leave the AC on? It’s much more simple than constantly switching it on or off, or adjusting it up and down…

Don’t seem to be able to get a setting which works for all conditions. I’d be happier with the Off switch actually turning the AC off rather than down.
Deleted User 192

Tabletop wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:54 pm > Why not just leave the AC on? It’s much more simple than constantly switching it on or off, or adjusting it up and down…

Don’t seem to be able to get a setting which works for all conditions. I’d be happier with the Off switch actually turning the AC off rather than down.

Interesting, I just leave mine set between 18 and 20 degrees all year round - never had a misty screen and always been warm enough or cool enough.
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

scott28tt wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:59 pm

Why not just leave the AC on? It’s much more simple than constantly switching it on or off, or adjusting it up and down…
Doesn’t the A/C make the car cooler? Or at least that’s how it seems to work in the Ioniq 38.
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
Deleted User 192

rikimaru wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:06 am Doesn’t the A/C make the car cooler? Or at least that’s how it seems to work in the Ioniq 38.

I can’t say I’ve noticed that. I’d rather have a clear windscreen.

Even if it did, just turn it up by 1 degree.

I really don’t understand those who constantly fiddle with their climate controls.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Press the Climate button then touch the Standby? Doesn't that switch it off?
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Just press the climate button or the heated seats icon on the screen and then just touch the button on the top left hand corner of the screen which turns it all off, this button is the reverse of everything else , blue off ,clear on
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
smuj

Post by smuj »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:10 am
rikimaru wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:06 am Doesn’t the A/C make the car cooler? Or at least that’s how it seems to work in the Ioniq 38.

I can’t say I’ve noticed that. I’d rather have a clear windscreen.

Even if it did, just turn it up by 1 degree.

I really don’t understand those who constantly fiddle with their climate controls.
I’m with you on that. All my previous cars with climate control I’ve set it to AC on, 21C and auto and never altered it again. I’ve done the same with the ID3 and expect the same.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Climate control is a personal thing. Personally, if I want to get warm or cool down, having the controls set to a middling target temperature is usually too slow. I often set it to Lo (ie max cooling AC) or max/High and direct it straight at my face, hands or feet depending what needs warming up/cooling down. That gets a change in temperature much faster, certainly with either my current car (Octavia vrs) or previous (a 120d),both of which have had full climate control systems. Once I'm comfy after a few minutes I switch it to 19 or so and put it on auto. Case in point - yesterday I got in my car after a day out walking and climbing in Wales, with soaking feet and put it up to max with the airflow on my feet for 20 minutes to dry them out. I fiddle with the aircon a lot. I'm aware I'll get poor consumption figures if I do this in the ID3 (so will probably moderate my behaviour a bit) but I can't imagine ever being happy to keep it at a single number the whole time. (I also wear a big variety of clothes in the car, sometimes I'll jump in with my down jacket on if it's cold outside and I would not want it set to 21 after a few minutes :D)
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.