active chassis ?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

We have a Family Pro performance 58k

In the drive mode options under 'individual' I have the option to put the chassis in 'sport or comfort' ?

3 options relevant to this post

chassis
steering
drive

What does chassis do ? ... surely the family spec car is not equipped with electronically adjustable shocks ?

camsoft2000

Post by camsoft2000 »

If you added the Sport Plus package then you get Dynamic Chassis Control.
Original order : ID.3 Family 58kWh Pro Performance. *Cancelled*

Subsequent order: Polestar 2 pre-config *cancelled*

Current car: 2022 ID.4 Style 58kWh, s/w 3.0
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

camsoft2000 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:46 pm If you added the Sport Plus package then you get Dynamic Chassis Control.
It was a lease car... no options... just - Family Pro Performance 58K was all we knew.

So.... It looks like we have dynamic chassis control then ?
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

camsoft2000 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:46 pm If you added the Sport Plus package then you get Dynamic Chassis Control.
Does your infotainment specifically say DCC ? ...
My ID.3 has 4 drive settings eco/comfort/sport/individual ... With individual offering a sports setting for each - 'drive, steering and 'chassis'
no actual mention of DCC though ?
What else could a sports chassis option be other than active dampers ?

Ive had cars before where a sports setting simply firmed up the power steering.. Having a sports setting for 'drive' steering AND chassis is new for me.
I take it the drive option is throttle response ?
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

If you don’t have DCC (and it sounds like you don’t) the Chassis setting effects the XDS torque vectoring, rather than the damping.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

andrewparker wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:28 pm If you don’t have DCC (and it sounds like you don’t) the Chassis setting effects the XDS torque vectoring, rather than the damping.
Arr cool... XDS torque vectoring. hows that work then ? :)
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I'm intrigued by this too. According to a VW article I found with Google, XDS torque vectoring (XDS being a VW specific term) is basically an electronic diff designed to reduce understeer for front wheel drive cars. As the ID.3 is RWD , will it even have it? Perhaps chassis control is doing something else, if anything? Can any current owners say whether you can actually feel any difference?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Yes, it occurred to me in the night that the ID.3 won’t even have XDS. It’s reserved for the likes of the Golf GTD and GTI. If the different settings are doing anything it can only be to do with the traction and stability control systems.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

Since the id.3 software has been slightly under developed my initial thought when I saw the sports chassis option was - possibly a dead option on my spec of id.3 that had not been removed from the infotainment system.

For non DCC equipped cars:-

drive - that has to be throttle response and or power limiting
steering - must be firming up the power steering
chassis - traction control/slip allowance/alternate ESC ???

I can't find anything in the manual.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:21 pm viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1011&p=7500&hilit=sport+mode#p7500

See post with explanation of each.
That mentions XDS though, and I think we're in agreement that the ID.3 doesn't have XDS.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:21 pm viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1011&p=7500&hilit=sport+mode#p7500

See post with explanation of each.
Cool !.... thats it sorted then :)

Maybe, the inclusion of the ID'3's mysterious rear drum brakes is partly to do with 'rear wheel drive - wheel brake torque vectoring' ? along with regen :) possibly using the regen properties instead of braking to mimic a rear limited slip differential

Additionally, I found this online:-
Modern braking systems, can replicate the actions of a limited slip differential.

Known as torque vectoring through braking (known as XDS in Volkswagen Group cars), the system brakes the inside wheel during a turn. As the inside is braked, more power is sent to the outside wheel mimicking the rotational effect a torque vectoring differential applies to a car – known as yaw. Increasing braking force increases the yaw effect, turning the car into the corner.

What diff-erence will it actually make?

Most smaller and slower cars don’t have much torque to vector, so come with cheaper open diffs – this means your wheels will go round a corner at different speeds but can’t be powered individually. More powerful and performance-biased cars are more likely to have torque vectoring as standard or as an option.

On the road, a car equipped with torque vectoring should feel more secure and stable at speed, especially through corners. You should also notice that the front of the car is more willing to pull itself into a corner or ‘turn in’ more effectively before the front wheels begin to understeer (lose grip).

Any downsides?

If you have a torque vectoring through braking-type system then you might notice you get increased brake wear. Because the brakes are partially used, even when accelerating, they do tend to wear-out faster leading to potentially expensive replacements.

COMMENT: Maybe no wear to the ID'3 braking if regen is used ?
XDS torque vectoring RWD LSD emulation... i'll take that :) ! :P