Help choosing home charger

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Smitten wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:45 pm
Cherry wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:16 pm Has anyone been told they need a mini consumer unit installed and if so, how much has this added to a quote?
I needed one in an external waterproof enclosure as the supply for the chargepoint was taken straight from external meter cupboard to the charge point. From memory it added about £150.
Are you not talking about a Matt-E device, as an alternative to an earthing rod? I have one of those, and it was about £135. A mini consumer unit box is about £14 from the likes of Screwfix.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Cherry wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:32 pm I think Ohme are a joke.

Octopus offer was £499 for Ohme Pro. It seems one needs to be in the South (where things are cheaper than the Midlands)!

Then the offer increased to £549. Of course Ohme gives some nonsense message why it is not available and suggests one can get from £550.

They send data to an overpriced installer who wants well over £700 for a simple install when the charger will be on the same wall as the fuse box.

How can one justify over £700 after the EV grant for an Ohme?

I have little faith in Ohme. Their marketing and price structure seems comical.
I had a similar experience with PodPoint.
My install was not as simple as yours but they would not run the cables so to get it completed they supplied me all the cables and an A Type RCD and I routed everything myself. They then hung the Solo and terminated it and connected to my spare 32amp MCB.
That is not a lot of work for £599 + £350 grant.
7metres of 6mm armoured
7 metres of 6mm twin and earth.
15 metres of data cable.
I installed the A type RCD.
I had quotes from 3 suppliers and they were all different technically re RCD type, need for separate isolation, need to install an isolator to the incoming supply which my DNO said was not possible.
Im just glad its all done now.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

It seems to me the £350 grant is a scam. It does not lower the price in real terms for the customer.

I spoke to an electrician and he said I should buy a Wallbox myself for £490 and he will install for £160. But as a one-man-band he cannot claim the grant.

Else, his company can apply for the grant, but will charge £690 after the grant.

I wonder whether there is any point in getting a home charger installed just to get the £350 off if a car will not arrive until June as the charger warranty will start on purchase.
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:51 am
Smitten wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:45 pm
Cherry wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:16 pm Has anyone been told they need a mini consumer unit installed and if so, how much has this added to a quote?
I needed one in an external waterproof enclosure as the supply for the chargepoint was taken straight from external meter cupboard to the charge point. From memory it added about £150.
Are you not talking about a Matt-E device, as an alternative to an earthing rod? I have one of those, and it was about £135. A mini consumer unit box is about £14 from the likes of Screwfix.
Just checked the invoice. We were charged £125 to supply and fit and external consumer unit between meter box and charge point in a waterproof enclosure. Licence to print money doing chargepoint installations if you ask me but, have an electrician around to install a domestic socket in London and you will be charged similar or more.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Cherry wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:42 pm It seems to me the £350 grant is a scam. It does not lower the price in real terms for the customer.

I spoke to an electrician and he said I should buy a Wallbox myself for £490 and he will install for £160. But as a one-man-band he cannot claim the grant.

Else, his company can apply for the grant, but will charge £690 after the grant.

I wonder whether there is any point in getting a home charger installed just to get the £350 off if a car will not arrive until June as the charger warranty will start on purchase.
Thats an interesting take Cherry. Without a grant there could be a lot of local electricians taking up installs after March. I dont think any suppliers get a huge discount on the charger products so costs may well come back less overall even without a grant.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Fergus

Post by Fergus »

Hi Cat\manDo, did you see my PM about choosing pro or pro performance?

Fergus
Ordered 11 Jan 22,
Order number 3159****
Family pro performance , Kings Red, assist pk plus, Derry.
build history:
Aug22 Code 20, build week of 46
mid Oct 22 Code 20, week 16
mid Dec 22 Code 10, week 12
19 Dec 22 Code 10, week 10
26 April 2023, delivered
durhamlad

Post by durhamlad »

Cherry wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:06 pm Octopus Energy state a standard install includes:

A Type A RCD in metal Consumer Unit.

Does this mean they supply a mini-consumer unit (< £20 from Amazon) as standard?
We just had our Ohme charger installed this afternoon. It did include a type A RCD in metal consumer unit. The installation was as simple as it gets, inside the garage right next to where the power comes in.

The main fuse is 60A but he said that the Ohme unit monitors total current coming into the house and will self limit if the load is getting too high, although that is unlikely to happen as we will be mostly charging overnight.
id.3 Family Pro Performance ordered 8/11/21, build week 17, then 23 then 40, then 45, then 50, then delivery expected in January, 2023, picked up the car on January 16th. Yay!
Order number 31316***
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Whilst undoubtedly the grant availability pushes the cost up, isn't the approved installer supposed to provide 'On site' support for issues with charging for 3 years from installation? They are also responsible for informing the DNO of the installation details. All adding to the time and cost.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:31 pm Whilst undoubtedly the grant availability pushes the cost up, isn't the approved installer supposed to provide 'On site' support for issues with charging for 3 years from installation? They are also responsible for informing the DNO of the installation details. All adding to the time and cost.

Yes. And they’re supposed to be Part P proxies as well so they lodge the relevant certs with their building control organisation, which otherwise the householder would have to do, at the householder’s cost.

Personally I’d rather see the grant removed as it clearly distorts the market. I think the cost will then actually go up, because sparkys aren’t stupid, and then equalise over time as the market settles down.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203