ID.3 1st tools / android auto?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Just received my ID.3 1st yesterday. There's no jack or wheel brace in the boot, which didn't surprise me too much since there's no spare wheel, so never any need to jack it at the side of the road. But the manual seems to say they should be there. Are they normally missing on the 1st edition cars?

Also, has anyone managed to set up Android Auto over Bluetooth? My phone is paired with the car over bluetooth and seems to think that Android Auto is available on the car, but the car doesn't list my phone in the App Connect page. Google's help pages say to use a USB cable for the initial setup - I've not tried that yet because I don't have a suitable USB-C cable (waiting for Amazon to deliver), but it does look like the phone expects it to be already working over bluetooth.

Newfie

Post by Newfie »

I believe to initialise it for the first time you need to use a USB cable.
Did mine today and no problems.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

You will need the phone to connect to the cars WiFi also, well either the Wifi or the cable, but to use Android Auto you need the cable or wifi as well as bluetooth.
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

I have never used a cable or wifi, it just connected by bluetooth no problems. Maybe depends on the Android version, mine is eleven.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

The tools aren’t missing, they are just not supplied.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thanks - I queried the tools with the dealer and they weren't sure (the manual supplied with the car talks about them, but I think it's just a generic manual that covers all models rather than just the 1st).

I've got Android 11, but it's an unofficial build (LineageOS) shoehorned onto a Samsung Galaxy S5, so entirely possible that there's something amiss on the phone end. I'll wait till Amazon ship my USB-C adaptor and try over the cable instead.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

steviebabes wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:24 pm I have never used a cable or wifi, it just connected by bluetooth no problems. Maybe depends on the Android version, mine is eleven.
Android Auto isn't supported over Bluetooth, if you're not using a cable, your phone is connecting to the car's Wifi.
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

Well if it's connecting to the cars Wi-Fi it must be insecure as I have never entered a SSID or password,
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

steviebabes wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:57 am Well if it's connecting to the cars Wi-Fi it must be insecure as I have never entered a SSID or password,

Just because you're not manually entering a password, doesn't make it insecure.. Both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto generate device-specific password 'tokens' during connection setup that the user never sees, and are cryptographically far more secure than any password you would set on your in-car hotspot. So while you would think that they both work over Bluetooth, because setup is done over Bluetooth, in fact both work over WiFi wirelessly to project their frame buffer into the infotainment screens
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

Ahh thank you for that great explanation.