Auto-Hold and brake lights

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

I recently noticed that whenever Auto-Hold occurs (i.e. car is stationary in queueing traffic etc.) the brake lights are lit irrespective of whether your foot is touching the brake pedal. This must be irritating for the folks in the car behind.

Are there any vehicle settings which can make the brake lights switch off once the car has been stationary for longer than some time threshold (e.g. 10~15 seconds)?

PS Disengaging Auto-Hold is not the solution - it's a very useful function most of the time (though not so good when reversing up my steep & narrow driveway).

Smitten

Post by Smitten »

I think that is pretty standard on all automatics these days? On my current ICE engaging the electronic parking brake turns off the brake lights and it then auto releases when you drive off. Perhaps same on ID3?
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

Smitten wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:50 pm I think that is pretty standard on all automatics these days? On my current ICE engaging the electronic parking brake turns off the brake lights and it then auto releases when you drive off. Perhaps same on ID3?
I think Aunt-Hold and the Electronic Parking Brake are intended for different purposes.
  • Electronic Parking Brake requires that you press the Park button on the 'drive selector' when the vehicle is stationary.
    Releasing the EPB involves reselecting a 'mode' on the drive selector.
  • Auto-Hold stops the vehicle from moving without any driver intervention (once it has a come to rest).
    Releasing Auto-Hold simply involves pressing the accelerator peda.l
I agree that engaging the EPB manually whenever the car is stopped in traffic would prevent the brake lights being lit (as per my request in the OP) but this rather negates the purpose/usefulness of Auto-Hold.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Auto Hold is the equivalent of you keeping your foot on the brake pedal, it is not a parking brake.

It makes perfect sense that the brake lights would stay on.
DickieBoy

Post by DickieBoy »

Yeah to me auto hold is like having your foot on the brake.

Also if I was behind you then it wouldn't piss me off.
Family Pro owner (Sept 22)
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I can see the OP's point. I have sat behind some cars when waiting in traffic, especially at night, thinking, why doesn't he take his bloody foot off of the brake pedal. Some of these brake lights are bright enough to read a book by! I thought it was just "driving style". When I passed my test (so long ago now) I just got into the habit of applying the handbrake when stopped in traffic.
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

Scratch wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:17 am I can see the OP's point. I have sat behind some cars when waiting in traffic, especially at night, thinking, why doesn't he take his bloody foot off of the brake pedal. Some of these brake lights are bright enough to read a book by! I thought it was just "driving style". When I passed my test (so long ago now) I just got into the habit of applying the handbrake when stopped in traffic.
Same here on both points. When I learnt to drive (many, many years ago) I was taught to always engage the handbrake when stopped at traffic lights or when it was obvious I wouldn't be moving for a while. I presumed it was something to do with the possibility of your foot slipping off the brake pedal. And I too find that brake lights in the dark are hard on the eyes, so until I read this thread I was smug that I never did this to other people.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
durhamlad

Post by durhamlad »

Scratch wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:17 am I can see the OP's point. I have sat behind some cars when waiting in traffic, especially at night, thinking, why doesn't he take his bloody foot off of the brake pedal. Some of these brake lights are bright enough to read a book by! I thought it was just "driving style". When I passed my test (so long ago now) I just got into the habit of applying the handbrake when stopped in traffic.
In a regular automatic you have to put it in “park” and also perhaps apply the parking brake to get the brake lights to go off. Too much trouble for most folks. I’ve driven a hybrid since 2007 and used to do this but eventually gave up, unless it is going to be a long wait such as a rail crossing, or road works.
id.3 Family Pro Performance ordered 8/11/21, build week 17, then 23 then 40, then 45, then 50, then delivery expected in January, 2023, picked up the car on January 16th. Yay!
Order number 31316***
sghom

Post by sghom »

[/quote]
In a regular automatic you have to put it in “park” and also perhaps apply the parking brake to get the brake lights to go off. Too much trouble for most folks. I’ve driven a hybrid since 2007 and used to do this but eventually gave up, unless it is going to be a long wait such as a rail crossing, or road works.
[/quote]

you do not put an auto in park when at lights...junctions etc, leave it in drive. too much shifting from drive to park/neutral can damage the torque converter.
family pro performance, mangy knees+bin lids
JCT 600 [sheffield]
ordered 17 july
3140xxxx
build week 45 confirmed? 11/1
on the boat 8-)
MY22
ETA feb 22 8-)