Built in Satnav vs Apple/Google Maps

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

What I want is a ‘least stress’ routing option. One that considers the number of junctions especially right turns, traffic lights, roundabouts as well as traffic volume.
…generally the built in sat nav is ok but I wouldnt use it for something really important, so I guess that tells you something!
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

On the flip side, Google/Apple maps are not at all EV optimised. It will nearly always defer me to the quicker journey - even if it is via Motorway and 10-20% longer distance. Often a route 1-2 min slower is actually more 'efficient' for an EV as its better taking a shorter journey in start stop traffic than Motorway blast (compared to an ICE).

If I am being silly and there is an 'optimise for EV'' tab/button on google/apple maps - please tell me!
MattP

Post by MattP »

Probably a silly question, but how can you default the distance (zoom) you want to show on the navigation. Mine seems to always zoom back out to 1000 meters etc
Octopus referral

https://share.octopus.energy/plum-mouse-3910
Wurzzle

Post by Wurzzle »

Daveion wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:46 pm I use google maps via android auto but have found a way to combine this with the built in nav so I get a satetllite view in the main display which I prefer, junction info in the instrument cluster and the ID light operating. Its a bit nerdy but I use the display to its max. If I find the built in nav unable to find my destination I use the google nav which also shows junction info in the instrument display but no ID light.
Hi, how have you managed to run both Google maps and the built in Satnav simultaneously? I used to be able to do this in my Land Rover Discovery, and found it very useful to be able to compare the two while enroute.
When I try it in the id3 no matter which system I set first as soon as I active the other one it cancels the first. What is your work around? I'm intrigue.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (March 22), Makena Turquoise, East Derry alloys, Transport hitch, Wallbox Pulsar.
And a 2015 22kw Renault Zoe (battery 98% S.O.H after 45k)
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Hi Wurzzle
Didn't intend to mislead. The nav systems don't run simultaneously. I am able to select what I wish to see in the main display and that preferences is google maps satellite view. So I use the built in navigation with junctions in the small display and view where I am on the satellite view on the main display. If I use Google map nav you still get the junction prompt in the small display but no ID light.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Wurzzle

Post by Wurzzle »

Daveion wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:11 pm Hi Wurzzle
Didn't intend to mislead. The nav systems don't run simultaneously. I am able to select what I wish to see in the main display and that preferences is google maps satellite view. So I use the built in navigation with junctions in the small display and view where I am on the satellite view on the main display. If I use Google map nav you still get the junction prompt in the small display but no ID light.
Hi Daveion, thanks for getting back to me. That's pretty much the way I use mine. Still it's a shame you can't run both systems simultaneously. It was very useful to compare routing options and traffic etc. B.T.W. have you noticed that Google Maps sometimes says it's looking for GPS when other nav apps i.e. Waze know its location?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (March 22), Makena Turquoise, East Derry alloys, Transport hitch, Wallbox Pulsar.
And a 2015 22kw Renault Zoe (battery 98% S.O.H after 45k)