Tour Pro S - tow hitch

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Bristolid

Post by Bristolid »

Good evening

Hoping that someone here may be able to help:

I have seen that there is no oem option for a transporter hitch on a Pro S/ 77kwh. But I am keen to understand if there is an aftermarket option… Google isn’t helping so thought I’d try the good folk here…

andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

No model is capable of towing. The 45kWh and 58kWh cars have the option of a “transport hitch”, but you can’t tow with it. It’s mainly for bike carriers.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Bristolid

Post by Bristolid »

Thanks for the response Andrew. I should have been clearer - I would like to use it for transporting bikes. The 77kwh battery isn’t compatible with the vw transporter hitch but I was hoping there might be an aftermarket option capable of taking a bike rack. Perhaps that I can’t find anything answers my question but I thought this forum might be a good place to check.

Thanks agaib
Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

I thought the “bike carrier prep” was available on all the options?
Fam Pro Perf, 19” Andoya alloys, bike rack prep in turquoise.
Ordered 20.10.21 dealer placed order 25.10.21
Estimated delivery early May 2022, now status 20 build week 38, status 60 early Nov, delivery December!!
Order No 31515***
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Not on the 2021 Tour. No idea if they changed that with MY22.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Why the bike carrier is not applicable to the Tour is more than likely down to weight. Because the Tour has the larger battery it reduces the payload greatly. For example the Max has a payload of 458kgs but the Tour only has 345kgs.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
Bristolid

Post by Bristolid »

Thanks for the responses.

Newfie - I didn’t appreciate the payload restriction. Is that driven because of the range VW wants to achieve or something else?

In any case, it would likely be myself plus carrier and bike almost all the time and that would be well within the max payload. Gone is the thought of using it for transporting luggage on a family holiday, however!

I will try to get it confirmed as if it is capable of taking it then maybe I could find a garage outside the dealership to fit the aftermarket kit?

Grateful for any other thoughts/ comments
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

I wondered whether it might be something to do with the 4/5 seat layout, but the option still isn’t a available on the German configurator on the 5 seat 77kWh car.

The problem with any aftermarket option is that placement will be tricky. The OEM kit is mounted quite high up, and accessible via the number plate (which flips down).

Might be worth researching the process dealers go through when they do the retrofit kit. I’m assuming either replacement or some adaptation of the crash bar.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Also, bit of Googling reveals a company called Brink that do an aftermarket kit. Big question is whether it fits the Pro S.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Bristolid

Post by Bristolid »

Thanks Andrew, I already have an email into Brink! I will try to get hold of the install process for the oem kit
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Bristolid wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:45 am Thanks Andrew, I already have an email into Brink! I will try to get hold of the install process for the oem kit
Cool, let us know how you get on!
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

It is interesting that the brink website also says that it is for bike carriers, not towing.

https://brink.eu/en-gb/search-results/
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

gailjon wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:05 am It is interesting that the brink website also says that it is for bike carriers, not towing.

You need type approval for towing, but not for bike carriers.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

andrewparker wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:30 am
gailjon wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:05 am It is interesting that the brink website also says that it is for bike carriers, not towing.

You need type approval for towing, but not for bike carriers.

That explains that then. I wonder how the ID3 would tow? (on a private road officer...)
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Stargazer

Post by Stargazer »

But does anyone know why the tow hitch can't be used for towing, and why it doesn't have type approval? I tried asking VW Technical Assistance but they couldn't (or wouldn't) answer the question.
The ball hitch is an absolutely standard tow hitch and I've tried towing a small, unladen trailer around my grounds (at walking pace!) with no problems, and no warning alarms going off. The shaft of the tow hitch does slot into the socket horizontally, so is there a concern about it pulling out under load? I would have thought it unlikely as the locating pins anchor it in pretty solidly. Might it be ok for a light (say, less than 200kg) trailer though?
I'd be interested to hear if anyone's been brave enough to try it.
Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

Isn’t it to do with axle weight?
Fam Pro Perf, 19” Andoya alloys, bike rack prep in turquoise.
Ordered 20.10.21 dealer placed order 25.10.21
Estimated delivery early May 2022, now status 20 build week 38, status 60 early Nov, delivery December!!
Order No 31515***
Bristolid

Post by Bristolid »

…and so an update on the original post:

I called up the local dealer a while back (didn’t buy from them originally), and booked it in for a retrofit. They took my reg and confirmed the booking. All good so far.

I dropped it off yesterday and picked it up today. Job’s a good’un! No mention of it being a 77kw battery, no issues fitting. Great service all round. Sure the range may take a hit fully laden (75kg limit on the retrofit) but a great (pricey) result given limited alternatives.

Bon velo!
DiskoBill

Post by DiskoBill »

Great, thanks for the update. So you’ve ended up with the OEM hitch behind the number plate, rather than the after market option?
Bristolid

Post by Bristolid »

That’s right. The VW retro fit, which is pricey but maintains the warranty, keeps muck out the car and can even take a few suitcases for a family trip to the airport 👌
arod

Post by arod »

Bristolid wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:14 pm That’s right. The VW retro fit, which is pricey but maintains the warranty, keeps muck out the car and can even take a few suitcases for a family trip to the airport 👌
Hello Bristolid,
Do you know how the garage fitted the hitch on your car? Were they able to use all the original components or did they have to invent something new to mount on a car without factory prep?

Regarding the hitch on the 77kWh version it is clear that VW omitted the option only due to total weight limits rather than real technical constraints. I guess that if you drove with 4 adults, full trunk and heavy bikes you wou would be over the GVWR for your car.