Tour Pro S - tow hitch

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Griff

Post by Griff »

I vaguely remember (but can't be sure) that the reason for not being compatible with Tour was due to the space needed for the additional battery cells meant no space for tow kit.

As ever, there is confusion surrounding this...and the fact that a VW dealer has retrofitted one just adds to it..

hitchkit.jpg

:: ID.3 Life Pro :: Manganese Grey :: East Derry Alloys :: Tow Hitch ::
January 2022.
Pod Point Solo 3 Home Charger.

StEVeiD3

Post by StEVeiD3 »

Any updates on using the dealer fitted towbar ( behind number plate) for towing?
I’ve a lightish Caddy640 single axle trailer which is used for light work only eg trips to the recycling. I was v disappointed that the hitch. Could only be used for bikes. Given the weight of bike rack plus two bikes which the car handles easily, it seems illogical that it can’t be used for light trailer work too.
Nearly cancelled my order for this car when dealer realised too late that neither towing nor roof topping possible, but liked it so much more than iD4 so went ahead anyway.
ID3 tech pro 58kW driver
MattBCL

Post by MattBCL »

Who says it can’t be used for towing on light duty? If it fits I’d just use it. Worst case if you had to make an insurance claim they’d have to prove that the claim arose because of misuse or incompatibility, and unless the claim required me to say it I would not even mention I was towing if it wasn’t relevant to the claim. I really doubt the police would be interested either. My personal view only though (I’m no expert).
Tour Pro S (Scale Silver) on a Business Lease from Plan Cars
Ordered Mid-June 2022 from a cancelled Sep 2021 order, expected 11/22 now 03/23
Order ref 314011**
Octopus referral (£50 to us both): https://share.octopus.energy/soft-wave-441
Repfigit

Post by Repfigit »

Isn't the ID.3 tow bar too high off the ground for a trailer? The tow ball is about the same height off the ground as the top of the tyres. A 215/55R18 tyre has a diameter of 693mm, but the EC rules on towballs mean they should be a maximum of 420mm off the ground. There's probably a bit of leeway in that calculation but being too high for a trailer seems like a good reason not to tow a trailer!
ID.3 Family Pro - 145PS, 58kWh
Kings Red - Assistance Pack Plus - Heat pump
Ordered 8th December 2021
Build week 49/2022
Delivered to dealer 11/01/2023
Collection date 17/01/2023
Front safety camera stopped working 1 hour, 30 miles into ownership.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

It is definitely too high for a trailer.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104