Anyone use Iron X or similar?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
phixion

Post by phixion »

Hello,

I cleaned my car today and noticed it has some faint "rail dust" forming in some areas, it's a white car so quite easy to see when looking up close.

I was considering getting some Iron X to clean it off, but wanted to check here first as to whether anyone had used it on their ID.3 and their experience with it?

Anything like this scares me a little, I don't want to ruin the paint (obviously!).

Here is a particularly bad example
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger

andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Yeah, I’ve used Iron X loads. It’s very effective, great on wheels, but you have to be careful with it. Never let it dry. It also really stinks. Also be aware that it strips any protection, so you’ll need to wax/seal after using it.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
phixion

Post by phixion »

The idea of using it scares me, most people say it's fine and they've had no problem... Then I've read a few stories of it staining the paint etc, probably due to them letting it dry or leaving it on too long.

I might just give it a good clean at some point, the stains are superficial and come off with a good clean, it would just be easier to use Iron X.

If I do give it a try, I think I'll just do small sections at a time so it doesn't dry.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

Better off with the usual snow foam, rinse, clay glove (or bar, if worse), wash, seal with wax etc

I wouldn't want to use Iron X near the bodywork, personally. They say it's safe on bodywork, but I doubt they'd accept any liability if it did any harm, either
phixion

Post by phixion »

True, I had used Meguiar's APC once in a car and got some overspray on the windscreen. It was so hot that day it etched the screen leaving small white dots, nothing I did would remove it.

Complained to Meguiar's and they recommended I buy a bunch of their stuff to fix it, I complained again, told them I'd spent a lot of money trying to fix it and they sent me a box full of stuff for free.

Still couldn't get it off so overall it was a really crap experience, I would never use APC like that in a car ever again. I am very wary on using these car products now.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

I don’t think you’ve got that much to worry about to be honest. Do it on a cold, overcast day. Work panel by panel. Spray on, rinse off.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

I would use Bilt Hamber Korrosol. It is safe on paint finishes with similar composition to their award winning Auto Wheel product. It colour changes as it dissolves particles embedded in paint finish. Soft clay bar afterwards (plenty of lubrication) and if any marring visible afterwards finish with a fine compound on a polishing pad with DA Polisher.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
phixion

Post by phixion »

Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered some Bilt Hamber Korrosol, some very good reviews and people seem to trust it. Also cheaper than Iron X for a 1L bottle.

I will do a small section at a time and see how it goes.
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

phixion wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:55 pm Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered some Bilt Hamber Korrosol, some very good reviews and people seem to trust it. Also cheaper than Iron X for a 1L bottle.

I will do a small section at a time and see how it goes.
Its very safe. Some reviewers claim it is the same chemical composition as their Auto Wheel cleaning product. I buy it in 5 litre tubs now. Had a shock when I cleaned our white e208 a few days ago as the whole bonnet went red, most of the vehicle sides and lower portion at the back.

I really rate the Bilt Hamber clay bars (use with filtered water if in hard water area), Auto Wheel and their snowfoam is very effective but I spray it on with a insecticide sprayer rather than foam it to get the correct dilution.
Ordered 21.8.21
phixion

Post by phixion »

Today was a bit milder and no rain so I decided to apply the Bilt Hamber Korrosol and WOW, what a difference!

Surprising how much you get off these new cars. I did a panel at a time, left it for about 3 mins and then jet washed it off.

Worst areas were around the mirrors and door handles, I guess from manufacturing.

Also did the wheels, they weren't too bad--the front obviously gave off more of a reaction than the rear.

Kind of hard to see on these images, but I didn't take too many photos. It was cold, I had latex gloves on, a filter mask to avoid inhaling too much, I was wet from the jet washer blowing back in my face and I was trying my best not to ruin my car. :lol:

This stuff doesn't smell too bad, from what I'd read I was expecting worse... Maybe Iron X smells worse?

I had to hose off my drive afterwards as I had puddles of the stuff just sitting there.

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2768.JPG

Smitten

Post by Smitten »

If you have driven anywhere you will pick up iron contamination from the brakes of vehicles in front especially on the bonnet and wing mirrors. After long journeys it will be around wheel arches and long the lower parts of doors as well. Our e208 was virtually "red" all over the bonnet, doors and mirrors after a month without a wash and several trips on the M25 near London.
Ordered 21.8.21
phixion

Post by phixion »

I told my brother about it, he has an older car I want him to use some and see how bad it is.

My car looks so bright and clean now.

I think I'll do this once every 6 months or so.