Reversing speed

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Having driven manual cars all our lives, my wife and I are finding reversing the ID.3 quite difficult because it seems to be impossible to keep the speed down when reversing.

i.e. when parallel parking, I want to creep into the space slowly. I'm finding that if I hit the brake and stop, in order to get going again I have to touch the accelerator, which adds far too much speed and I have to dive for the brake again. Is there any way to reduce the minimum reversing speed so that it will just creep backwards when I touch the accelerator?

It's particularly difficult reversing onto our drive because I have a steep drop-kerb which I need to use quite a bit of accelerator to get over, and as soon as the wheel reaches the top of the kerb it runs away and I have to dive for the brake before I hit something.

phixion

Post by phixion »

You could always disengage auto hold?

I think it's something you just get used to though, my 68 plate Golf DSG was the same so I am used to it in the ID.3.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Do you have Auto Hold enabled or not?

You can toggle it on or off from the shortcut menu when you drag down from the top of the screen.
Paulbergin

Post by Paulbergin »

Yes, same ‘issue’ when driving forward slowly when there’s a small obstruction on the road surface. I found it was one of those things that’s different from driving without a clutch which I have had with all previous cars. When car stops on kerb edge, pothole etc, I don’t touch the accelerator pedal and wait for a second or two for the motor to engage. The car usually moves on slowly by itself. By kerb edge, I don’t mean a full kerb, just the 25mm upstanding you get across driveways etc.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I'll try disabling auto-hold, although I imagine that would make it impossible to manoeuvre on hills? I'm not really having a problem with auto-hold itself, just that the minimum speed the car wants to go in reverse with feet off everything is pretty fast for manoeuvring in a tight space!
darcy67

Post by darcy67 »

Just don't hit the break too hard and it should creep ok and autohold shouldn't go on.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Much better with auto-hold disabled, but no way to do that directly from the reversing camera screen as far as I can tell. Swiping down from the top of the screen to access the auto-hold button works fine from the home screen, but not from the reversing camera.