Suggestion for good Electric Charging Cable (230V 1AC) 3 pin

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Slathe

Post by Slathe »

Firstly do any of you bother with getting the 3pin cable and if so which one did you go for? The VW one seems expensive. Any suggestions of a good one? Would like it to be at least 5m

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I rarely use the Type 2 cable, I can't expect I would ever need a granny lead.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Lots of people seem to recommend the Masterplug ones available from Screwfix.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

To answer a question with a question, Why do you think you'll need one?

I have a home charger that fulfills 99% of my needs, I did buy an Ohme 13A charger when they were on offer but other than testing I haven't used it. My reasoning was for any trips where the destination may be low on options. (rare)
DarrenPotton

Post by DarrenPotton »

I convinced my dealer to throw a VW one in as part of the deal.
Haven’t used it yet but I know others who have and recommend it.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I've been using the VW granny charger since the car arrived 2 weeks ago (the dealer chucked it in as a freebee because they had made a huge cockup that delayed me getting the car). Works fine, but I probably would've bought a cheaper brand if they hadn't thrown it in for free. 7Kw charger install next week, but I think a granny charger will still be a useful thing to have.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I used a VW Granny for around 10 months and had no issues with it all. Used in that time in all weathers. It was included in my deal in Dec 21.
I now have a home charger so the Granny is stored in the well of the boot. May cost a little more but its a quality lead.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’ve a vw granny charger. It lived in the boot cubby. Has come in handy a few times - esp when visiting relatives.

I’ve heard the screw fix ones go out of stock fast

Post by 4810510 »

Newbie question, I've ordered a Family Pro Performance, live in a flat without private parking so may need the 'granny cable' as a backup. Could someone tell me how long it takes to charge?
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

4810510 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:21 pm Newbie question, I've ordered a Family Pro Performance, live in a flat without private parking so may need the 'granny cable' as a backup. Could someone tell me how long it takes to charge?
You haven't mentioned your battery size, but the answer to your question will be here https://ev-database.uk/car/1202/Volkswa ... arge-table, but you might have to find your model.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

4810510 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:21 pm Newbie question, I've ordered a Family Pro Performance, live in a flat without private parking so may need the 'granny cable' as a backup. Could someone tell me how long it takes to charge?

That’s a 58kWh car, so a granny will add roughly 4% of charge per hour.

Something to consider is that many EV-friendly electricity tariffs only have an off-peak rate lasting for 4 hours (such as the Go tariff from Octopus Energy). If you need to regularly add say 30% of charge overnight roughly half of that would be at a peak rate, which at the moment is high, and could get higher.

Depending on your usage level and therefore charging needs it might be better to find a cheap rapid charger close to home.