How to get a deal for an EV Home Charger. My method!

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Cherry wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:45 am
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:35 am This is all getting a bit silly. The grant is for the installation it doesn’t really make any difference if the installer is demented and decides to claim less. It only matters if they charge more and instead of an installation paid for by the grant the customer has to chip in.
Yes, it is getting silly and the moderator needs to intervene.

The grant can be used to offset the charger price as in my case I am not paying £350 for install. Part of the £350 goes towards the actual Wallbox charger. The installer will claim £350 as he is supplying the charger. If I supplied it, he cannot claim £350. He would claim less, do it would cost me more.

It seems most people are paying at least £350 for the install. My thread was making the point, you do not always have to and could pay less.
The grant is only for the installation.

It seems that effectively what you have done is negotiate with the installer to knock some margin off what they would make from selling the charger. Ohme aren’t selling me the charger, they are selling it to the installer who is then selling it on to me for RRP.

It would make sense that Ohme sell it to the installer for a bit more since they provided the lead and processed all my information (sales commission) and that by going directly to the installer first they would have to pay less when they order it.

So instead of going via the manufacturer’s website you can ring some installers yourself and ask for a quote and probably save some money because you might find one charges less for the charger.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:13 am The grant is only for the installation.

It seems that effectively what you have done is negotiate with the installer to knock some margin off what they would make from selling the charger. Ohme aren’t selling me the charger, they are selling it to the installer who is then selling it on to me for RRP.

It would make sense that Ohme sell it to the installer for a bit more since they provided the lead and processed all my information (sales commission) and that by going directly to the installer first they would have to pay less when they order it.

So instead of going via the manufacturer’s website you can ring some installers yourself and ask for a quote and probably save some money because you might find one charges less for the charger.
Ohme told me they do not sell via wholesalers. Installers have to register with them to buy direct.
I then sent an email to them from my ltd company to enquire what the trade price is. I am interested. I am not an electrician!
I do not have a response yet. But, I think the independent installers cannot get an Ohme for less than a Wallbox. (£490).

The grant is for the total install including parts and charger or is just for the install and extra parts if you purchase a charger yourself. It can be used to offset the charger cost if supplied by an installer.

I don't think the installer needs a margin for the charger! Many have a credit account. They certainly will not from April when the grant goes.
It is like, "I supply light fitting", you fit. They do not need a margin on the light fittings.

I had a call this morning for some electrician who claimed the install cost alone was £600 for a Wallbox, He must think people are stupid.
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
ItshardtobuyId3

Cherry wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:37 am
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:13 am The grant is only for the installation.

Ohme told me they do not sell via wholesalers. Installers have to register with them to buy direct.
I then sent an email to them from my ltd company to enquire what the trade price is. I am interested. I am not an electrician!
I do not have a response yet. But, I think the independent installers cannot get an Ohme for less than a Wallbox. (£490).

The grant is for the total install including parts and charger or is just for the install and extra parts if you purchase a charger yourself. It can be used to offset the charger cost if supplied by an installer.

I don't think the installer needs a margin for the charger! Many have a credit account. They certainly will not from April when the grant goes.
It is like, "I supply light fitting", you fit. They do not need a margin on the light fittings.

I had a call this morning for some electrician who claimed the install cost alone was £600 for a Wallbox, He must think people are stupid.
No if you supply the fitting they won’t make a margin on it but if they can buy something at trade prices and sell it to you at retail prices I bet they do.

It’s a bit of an unknown but I expect that is where the saving is actually coming from, that or not paying sales commission. Either way it’s a discount.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

🤦‍♂️
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

The Ohme Home Pro trade prices are below (excluding VAT)

1 Unit - £469

2-9 Units - £439

10-24 Units - £420

25+ Units - £410

Ohme will only supply to someone in the trade (installers and electricians).

On a single purchase I would expect an installed price after the grant between £500 and £550 as a good deal. Only Octopus seem to offer this, But, they must be getting a price below £410. Not great prices for an installer as WallBox is available for less than £410 excluding VAT for a single unit.

The one thing I do not like about Ohme is it uses a sim. I am locked in to their data charges after 3 years and these are undefined.
I would prefer data and wifi or just wifi. I accept this is a plus point for some people. But I do no like to be exposed to unexpected prices and locked in.
Last edited by Cherry on Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:52 pm
I just 'thank the lord' that no one's started a Flat earth discussion.
Some nutter in the pub approached me and a mate and started such a discussion a few months ago, he wouldn't accept any of our considerations to demonstrate that the Earth is a sphere, and there is no "edge" that would force you to turn around and come back, the patterns day and night etc. He'd probably think EVs were powered by magic.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
ItshardtobuyId3

Cherry wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:19 pm The Ohme Home Pro trade prices are below (excluding VAT)

1 Unit - £469

2-9 Units - £439

10-24 Units - £420

25+ Units - £410

On a single purchase I would expect an installed price after the grant between £500 and £550 as a good deal. Only Octopus seem to offer this, But, they must be getting a price below £410. Not great prices for an installer as WallBox is available for less than £410 excluding VAT for a single unit.
I requested my quote through the Ohme website and was quoted £590 by the local installer they asked to provide it. The advertised price was from £550 but £40 over seems reasonable to me.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:36 pm
Cherry wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:19 pm The Ohme Home Pro trade prices are below (excluding VAT)

1 Unit - £469

2-9 Units - £439

10-24 Units - £420

25+ Units - £410

I requested my quote through the Ohme website and was quoted £590 by the local installer they asked to provide it. The advertised price was from £550 but £40 over seems reasonable to me.
Why not go via Octopus Energy for £549 if you have a standard install? Use this URL: https://www.octopusev.com/home-charging

Do you need a mini-consumer unit?
Which area do you live in?
ItshardtobuyId3

Cherry wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:39 pm
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:36 pm

1 Unit - £469

2-9 Units - £439

10-24 Units - £420

25+ Units - £410

Why not go via Octopus Energy for £549 if you have a standard install? Use this URL: https://www.octopusev.com/home-charging

Do you need a mini-consumer unit?
Which area do you live in?
Gloucestershire. It’s all booked up for next week so will go ahead anyway as I don’t know how standard the install is they have good reviews. It’s only £41 over but thanks for the link anyway.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]