pedestal charger

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

Hi all, due to living in shared ownership house I have needed to get permission to install an ev charger and they have agreed as long as I install a pedestal charger rather than wall box as i have to otherwise run the cable over pavement to my parking to which they have said no. The house is all electric on 100amp single phase with a 6kw central heating and 32amp cooker so I'm looking at a charger that can monitor the house load do I don't risk blowing the main fuse.
Has anyone any experience of a pedestal install and anything to consider?
Also any recommendations for 7KW a charger which can balance the charge based on house loads other than pod point?
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire

TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Rolec do a range of stands for their charging units, which I think are a fairly economical option if you can't have a wall mounted unit.

My understanding was that all smart EV chargers have some ability to throttle down output to prevent overloading, but someone else will no doubt be able to advise on this more definitively.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

TheJimster wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:51 pm Rolec do a range of stands for their charging units, which I think are a fairly economical option if you can't have a wall mounted unit.

My understanding was that all smart EV chargers have some ability to throttle down output to prevent overloading, but someone else will no doubt be able to advise on this more definitively.
I agree. Most chargers will have a pedestal option.
It just has to provide the requirement of a mount as a fixed structure. Smart chargers will have a small current transformer (CT) that protects the main fuse on the supply. Its often refered to as a "fuse saver device"
It throttles the charger back if the main supply looks like its getting near its limit.
You have said other than Pod Point. The Solo is what I have.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

Perfect many thanks, I'm actually looking at the pod point but was wondering what other options were out there. I think I'll miss out on the grant so am saving my pennies for it now.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I'm not an expert but I'm sure not all smart chargers are load balancing in the way you describe needing. For example, I know the Ohme Home Pro does do load balancing, but the more basic OHME smart charger (the only one they sold until 3 months ago, without the screen) does not. Sorry I can't be any more help but didn't want you to get caught out. There are one or two people on the SpeakEV forum with a lot of knowledge about chargers and electrical installations who could probably advise in detail if you don't get what you need here.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

Many thanks that was my thought too.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

Take a look at Hypervolt for their charger. Their unit definitely has a CT clamp which monitors the total load on the incoming tails. The only downside to this charger for you would be that you would need to hardwire a ethernet connection to it for the control. This can be run along side main electrical feed as separate cable or your installer can use a specific EV cable which includes this ethernet cable within it.
As for a pedestal, these can be purchased or manufactured from a number of suppliers and not specific to the charger unit.
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
Bengeo

Post by Bengeo »

Splash-Man wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:53 am Take a look at Hypervolt for their charger. ...... The only downside to this charger for you would be that you would need to hardwire a ethernet connection to it for the control.
Can't you use Wifi for that?
Tour 77kWh Pro S in Glacier White

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

Bengeo wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:46 pm
Splash-Man wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:53 am Take a look at Hypervolt for their charger. ...... The only downside to this charger for you would be that you would need to hardwire a ethernet connection to it for the control.
Can't you use Wifi for that?
Yes you are correct that you can use wifi for the Hypervolt but I was working on the basis that this installation might be further away from the house hence probably better to use ethernet rather than rely on wifi.
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

Splash-Man wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:53 am Take a look at Hypervolt for their charger. Their unit definitely has a CT clamp which monitors the total load on the incoming tails. The only downside to this charger for you would be that you would need to hardwire a ethernet connection to it for the control. This can be run along side main electrical feed as separate cable or your installer can use a specific EV cable which includes this ethernet cable within it.
As for a pedestal, these can be purchased or manufactured from a number of suppliers and not specific to the charger unit.
I'll take a look at that as ethernet cable would not be an issue.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

durhamlad

Post by durhamlad »

We had an Ohme Pro installed at our house this week. We only have a 60amp fuse but the installer pointed out that the charger monitors the total incoming current and will self limit to avoid blowing the main fuse.
id.3 Family Pro Performance ordered 8/11/21, build week 17, then 23 then 40, then 45, then 50, then delivery expected in January, 2023, picked up the car on January 16th. Yay!
Order number 31316***