Battery degradation data point

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I just came across this short video which might provide a bit more confidence for anyone worried about battery deg after Battery Life did his test a couple of months back (I think BL eventually decided he had lost 7.5-8%).

The test isn't foolproof but considering the uncertainty range on his calcs it looks like his deg is no more than a maximum of 5%, and more likely 2-3%, after 1 year and 9000 miles. The amount of energy charged back in afterwards seems fairly consistent with the lower end of this range too, unless Gridserve chargers have a much higher loss than the Ionity ones tested by Battery Life here:
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

If you watch his later video at 14 months VW tested it and confirmed he'd lost 8%, so his calculations were pretty good. He also states 'worryingly' that VW said they expected an initial loss of maybe 5% in the first year but the degradation will slow in subsequent years.

For those that don't watch these videos and in a vain attempt to stop the astonished responses... 'Battery Life' (Chris) has by his own admission abused his ID.3 from a use and charging POV.
He did 22,000km in the first 12 months and 90% of that was DC charging. (Mostly on 100kW chargers) Plus he did frequent tests where he ran to 0% and then charged back to 100%.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Yes, it seems likely the reason for the difference between the two cases is the charging usage pattern (and partly the higher mileage.) It's nice to have a second data point that indicates a much lower degradation for another car.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
mawright89

Post by mawright89 »

I saw that video too. As stated above he has thrashed his pack. You charge overnight twice a week at 7kw your not going to see 8 percent in a year. Nice to see the almost worst case scenario tho.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Mine has dropped from 55950 Wh to 55300 in three months and 4500 miles (I have a couple of readings in between the first and last which follow this trend). Unfortunately I only have a first reading from early Nov - not from July when I bought it. FWIW I mostly charge between 20 and 80% (once to 100 - a couple of times to 90, lowest 11%) and have a 75/25 split of AC/DC charging - so I look after the battery fairly well.

So we can extrapolate and say its losing c. 2kwh of capacity a year at the present rate. 2/62x100 = 3.2% per year. Which is OK I guess. early days - more data needed etc..

All the battery deg curves I've seen have the steepest drop in the first few months/first year.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Are these tests scientific enough? If you conduct tests over the year does temperature not play a part in the result? I confess to not having studied it well but it seems logical given the sensitivity of the charging and discharge process to temperature.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

It’s based on the OBD data. Doesn’t seem to be temp related. It’s steadily and slowly dropped.