Skoda does the user interface so much better

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Black

Post by Black »

Had our ID.3 Family Pro for just under a month now and absolutely love it, have put a thousand miles on it and so far no issues and it was one of the delayed builds that probably sat waiting for chips.

We like the car so much that our other car has sat almost static in the drive since we got it. Every journey is cheaper and the thought of an already warm car is just so appealing. Despite the other car being on paper much much faster (530d x-drive) I am not so sure in the real world, the instant power delivery from electric is so good. Anyway as you can see we like it so headed off to the Skoda garage tonight to test the Enyaq with a view to getting on the waiting list (12 months!) for an 80x Sportline. It has a boot which matches the touring for volume and the slightly bigger range makes it a practical family holiday / longer journey car. Will also give the ID.3 some rest.

First impressions are that it is just as good as the ID3, what really struck me is how much more intelligently they have configured the interface. It does have a bigger screen but the temp controls are permanently on the bottom of it, no stupid sliders to fumble for in the dark. The only slider is the volume control. The heated steering wheel is a button on the wheel.
It is weird back in the day I had a Skoda and a VW at the same time and the Skoda definitely felt budget, it feels different this time round. Will be interesting to see what happens when the Skoda version of the ID.3 eventually surfaces.
The only significant sticking point is the £1000 deposit for a car we will not get for 12 months.

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Black wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:12 pm Had our ID.3 Family Pro for just under a month now and absolutely love it, have put a thousand miles on it and so far no issues and it was one of the delayed builds that probably sat waiting for chips.

We like the car so much that our other car has sat almost static in the drive since we got it. Every journey is cheaper and the thought of an already warm car is just so appealing. Despite the other car being on paper much much faster (530d x-drive) I am not so sure in the real world, the instant power delivery from electric is so good. Anyway as you can see we like it so headed off to the Skoda garage tonight to test the Enyaq with a view to getting on the waiting list (12 months!) for an 80x Sportline. It has a boot which matches the touring for volume and the slightly bigger range makes it a practical family holiday / longer journey car. Will also give the ID.3 some rest.

First impressions are that it is just as good as the ID3, what really struck me is how much more intelligently they have configured the interface. It does have a bigger screen but the temp controls are permanently on the bottom of it, no stupid sliders to fumble for in the dark. The only slider is the volume control. The heated steering wheel is a button on the wheel.
It is weird back in the day I had a Skoda and a VW at the same time and the Skoda definitely felt budget, it feels different this time round. Will be interesting to see what happens when the Skoda version of the ID.3 eventually surfaces.
The only significant sticking point is the £1000 deposit for a car we will not get for 12 months.

Really interesting. I recall reading an article a couple of years back basically saying that Skoda is a massive brand error on the part of VAG, as Skoda is no longer a budget brand and instead occupies most of the brand space that Volkswagen itself claimed to occupy (except with better built cars at marginally lower price points). Thus Volkswagen's brand needs to move upmarket, at which point Wolfsburg finds itself trying to steal Ingolstadt's lunch.

I briefly considered ordering an Enyaq, but it was just too big for us and the range wasn't enough. Seemed like a really solid car in the previews, well-built and reassuringly "conventional" in its HMI. Certainly didn't feel built down to an artificial budget, as you said.
Black wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:12 pm The only significant sticking point is the £1000 deposit for a car we will not get for 12 months.

I don't know about you, but that gets a solid "nope" from me. I'm expecting a bunch of dealerships to croak in the next 12 months, and good luck getting that deposit money back if that happens to your dealership. I could be persuaded into a non-refundable £100 deposit at 12 months range rising nearer to delivery date, but £1000 deposit a year up front would be asking too much of me.

Be really interested to know if you decide to order or not though!
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Black

Post by Black »

Yes it is a nope from me as well. Way too much to wait for a year on for the reasons you suggest.

So glad we got the order in for the ID.3 when we did.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Black wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:12 pm The only significant sticking point is the £1000 deposit for a car we will not get for 12 months.
I only had to pay £500 deposit for mine.

Ultimately, £1,000 for two!

Is it really so much of a sticking point when buying a car claimed to be worth c£35k?

If you are worried about a dealer going bust (so unlikely), pay by credit card with an agreement you are refunded every 120 days and pay the deposit again each time for section 75 protection.

There are people paying £500-£1,000 for a home charger months before they even receive their cars. They don't seem to have a problem with this. I cannot see the deposit an issue for the majority of buyers. A small group of people may have an issue.
Last edited by Cherry on Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

What a guy!
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten