Bike Prep?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Thanks for the ideas on a roof option but will steer clear given VW saying the roof is not suitable.
I tend to think it has something to do with many models having glass roofs that may not be as suitable structually so its a blanket NO where maybe a steel roof would otherewise be ok.
I have emailed the dealer today about a dealer fitted hitch but they are very poor with responses.
Won't hold my breath.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

Razormark

Post by Razormark »

andrewparker wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:56 pm Yeah, SeaSuckers could work on the metal roof. I’ve heard that they’re not great on a glass roof.
Seasucker work great on glass roof too. I have yet to try them on carbon or aluminium but rest assure it works on glass.

Daveion wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:58 pm Thanks for the ideas on a roof option but will steer clear given VW saying the roof is not suitable.
I tend to think it has something to do with many models having glass roofs that may not be as suitable structually so its a blanket NO where maybe a steel roof would otherewise be ok.
I have emailed the dealer today about a dealer fitted hitch but they are very poor with responses.
Won't hold my breath.
The roof of the ID.3 is suitable for suction cup roof rack. VW says otherwise regarding the use of standard roof rack because of mounts reasons I guess. Though, look for pictures of suction roof racks rocking loads of bikes on quite a few cars of the Tour de France and on similar races.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Razormark wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:34 pm
andrewparker wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:56 pm Yeah, SeaSuckers could work on the metal roof. I’ve heard that they’re not great on a glass roof.
Seasucker work great on glass roof too. I have yet to try them on carbon or aluminium but rest assure it works on glass.
Not on the glass roof of an ID3 according to this post… https://www.speakev.com/threads/sea-suc ... d3.158070/
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Razormark

Post by Razormark »

andrewparker wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:54 pm
Razormark wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:34 pm
Not on the glass roof of an ID3 according to this post… https://www.speakev.com/threads/sea-suc ... d3.158070/
Well then it's best to stay away from suction roof racks then. Too bad it's not working properly according to the post you shared. Then go team tow hitch :D. It always put a smile on my face when I flip the rear plate before fitting the hitch. To me it's a Bond like feature :lol:.