Bike Prep?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Sorry to start a new thread on this.
I am looking at getting a bike carrier for my next ID3. I was holding out for VW roof bars but its not going to happen. Seriously considered bars from other suppliers as well for my existing ID3 but decided to stick with VW recommendation that the roof is not suitable for bars.
The carrier itself looks to be around £600. Im not sure what I need to specify on the car and whether its too late to add it to my order. The car isn't built yet, estimated May time.
Do I need the bike prep or is it something else?
Cost? I guess the £600 rack is not fitted from scratch as a dealer option.
I can't find any clear links or info.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

ricko

Post by ricko »

Tow bar bike mount ?
Life Pro Performance Kings Red + heatpump
Ordered 11/10/2021 @ Inchcape
Build week 38/22
Collected 20/07/22

Intelligent Octopus referral link (£50 credit) : https://share.octopus.energy/frost-snake-180
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Talk to your dealer about adding the tow hitch option to your build.

It will be cheaper and neater if installed at the factory.

You can buy whatever bike carrier you wish, that doesn’t have to be the VW branded one.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Yes, you need the option called “Transport hitch (kit) for bicycle carrier preparation”. You can then use whatever tow bar mounted bike carrier you want. I intend to use a Thule EasyFold XT3 with mine.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

That's really helpful
Any idea what it will add to the cost of the car?
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

andrewparker wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:47 pm Yes, you need the option called “Transport hitch (kit) for bicycle carrier preparation”. You can then use whatever tow bar mounted bike carrier you want. I intend to use a Thule EasyFold XT3 with mine.
I have always used Thule in the past. I have hung onto my roof bar pro rides but as said I dont think we will see a roof bar option any time soon.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Daveion wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:16 pm That's really helpful
Any idea what it will add to the cost of the car?
£400
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The roof is perfectly capable of taking roof bars - there are even marks to locate them. The car has a 5* NCAP rating - the roof abs it’s structure are plenty strong enough. Quite why Vw don’t sell some is a puzzle - some suggest it’s so it doesn’t kill the aero - but if that’s the case not sure why they fit / allow roof bars on the id4.

Anyway. I have some - have used them with a roof box and they work great (Farad ones) but some on here will tell you that it invalidates your insurance. Quite whether this is the case is unproven….
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Daveion wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:21 pm
andrewparker wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:47 pm Yes, you need the option called “Transport hitch (kit) for bicycle carrier preparation”. You can then use whatever tow bar mounted bike carrier you want. I intend to use a Thule EasyFold XT3 with mine.
I have always used Thule in the past. I have hung onto my roof bar pro rides but as said I dont think we will see a roof bar option any time soon.
Yep, I’ve got three ProRide 591 racks that will be going on eBay soon.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Mine too along with the bars for a current model Ford Focus.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Griff

Post by Griff »

scott28tt wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:46 pm Talk to your dealer about adding the tow hitch option to your build.

I have bought an already-ordered car, they wouldn't let me add the tow hitch as a factory option so am having to pay the £800 for dealer-fitted!
Should I have questioned this??
:: ID.3 Life Pro :: Manganese Grey :: East Derry Alloys :: Tow Hitch ::
January 2022.
Pod Point Solo 3 Home Charger.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Griff wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:43 am
scott28tt wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:46 pm Talk to your dealer about adding the tow hitch option to your build.

I have bought an already-ordered car, they wouldn't let me add the tow hitch as a factory option so am having to pay the £800 for dealer-fitted!
It is likely that the car was past the date for changing factory spec. Once the build date is confirmed by the factory the spec can't be changed. I think the 800 pounds for dealer fit is a good price considering a standard towbar for many cars is 700 plus fitted.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Griff

Post by Griff »

gailjon wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:54 am

It is likely that the car was past the date for changing factory spec. Once the build date is confirmed by the factory the spec can't be changed. I think the 800 pounds for dealer fit is a good price considering a standard towbar for many cars is 700 plus fitted.
That is a very good point, I am paying something like that for my Ford Puma. I guess it is the ~£600 difference between being fitted at factory or dealer that makes one think.
:: ID.3 Life Pro :: Manganese Grey :: East Derry Alloys :: Tow Hitch ::
January 2022.
Pod Point Solo 3 Home Charger.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Having found the cost I've decided to live with putting the bikes in the back with the seats down.
If I kept my cars for more than 18-24 months it may be worth it. Maybe after my next car I will look at the ID4.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Maybe ask them if they could fit it for £600?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Its worth a shot.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Actually having looked at the price of the bits - there’s a control box and the bar - and the number plate flappy stuff - £600 for the parts and a couple of hundred to fit isn’t too bad. As someone said above - not that much more than getting one fitted on a similar car.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

A change to the spec now might result in your order going back in the queue, ask your dealer to confirm.
Razormark

Post by Razormark »

Daveion wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:40 pm Sorry to start a new thread on this.
I am looking at getting a bike carrier for my next ID3. I was holding out for VW roof bars but its not going to happen. Seriously considered bars from other suppliers as well for my existing ID3 but decided to stick with VW recommendation that the roof is not suitable for bars.
The carrier itself looks to be around £600. Im not sure what I need to specify on the car and whether its too late to add it to my order. The car isn't built yet, estimated May time.
Do I need the bike prep or is it something else?
Cost? I guess the £600 rack is not fitted from scratch as a dealer option.
I can't find any clear links or info.
Dave
Depending of the use, you could do with a suction cup roof rack ! If it's good enough for the supporting cars of the Tour de France it'd be enough for you !
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Yeah, SeaSuckers could work on the metal roof. I’ve heard that they’re not great on a glass roof.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten