Dashcam

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

Hi,i was wondering if anyone has installed one of these fitcamx, it looks like a good simple solution with no wires going down to fusebox.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Given the nature of the devices in that 'pod', I wouldn't be trying it, and I am pretty sure that video is not of an ID.3 either.
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

I think the idea of a self-contained unit is great but.....

On this occasion, a Chinese support telephone number coupled with Hotmail & GMail accounts is a no from me.

Plus the point raised above about the rest of the equipment potentially contained within the camera pod. I don't know what's in there for an ID3 but on my current car is has all of the cameras for the braking system etc. Am I going to mess with that by adding Chinese based electrics to it ?
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

Thats fair enough, it looked like a neat solution but agree about the risk of playing with the electrics in that area. i cant understand why manufacturers dont fit a usb port to the mirror fittings for dashcams. Would happily lose one of the rear usb charger points in its place.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

MattgID3 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:40 am i cant understand why manufacturers dont fit a usb port to the mirror fittings for dashcams.
Or just use the built in camera with some local storage added to record footage. Tesla do this, I seem to remember reading that Mercedes were making it an option too.
Family Pro Performance. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry alloys.
Ordered 16/9/21
Delivered 31/3/22
SunithM

Post by SunithM »

morrishey wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:52 am
MattgID3 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:40 am i cant understand why manufacturers dont fit a usb port to the mirror fittings for dashcams.
Or just use the built in camera with some local storage added to record footage. Tesla do this, I seem to remember reading that Mercedes were making it an option too.
The Mercedes option is pretty poor though as you have to manually start the recording everytime you turn the car on.
ID.3 Max Pro Performance in Manganese Grey
Ordered 19-Jul-2021
Order no 31384xxx
Cancelled 15-Feb-2022 with car stuck in limbo
ac3id.3

Post by ac3id.3 »

i bite the bullet and got one, its.... surprisingly good. arrived within a week with tracking, fits perfectly and easy to put on, looks the part. just like the youtube video and the footage is really good too. have their own app to connect to the cam to view live or export video to the phone, so far so good, but only time will tell!
ID.3 1st White
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

ac3id.3 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:17 pm i bite the bullet and got one, its.... surprisingly good. arrived within a week with tracking, fits perfectly and easy to put on, looks the part. just like the youtube video and the footage is really good too. have their own app to connect to the cam to view live or export video to the phone, so far so good, but only time will tell!
Can you post a picture?
2021 Life Pro Performance - Manganese Grey - 19" Andoyas - Software 2.3 - SOLD July 2022.
TimF

Post by TimF »

Unlike a usual third-party camera, this one's housing will be within the driver's field of vision.

I expect the connection used to provide power (via a splitter cable) is the same as that used for the VW proprietary accessory which we have for powering our Nextbase cam (which sits on the passenger side of the mirror support, out of driver sight).
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

Unlike a usual third-party camera, this one's housing will be within the driver's field of vision.
Would you have to remove it for a MOT then?
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus