Does car charging and have heated seats and AC on for hours hurt battery?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Slathe

Post by Slathe »

My daughter swims 6 times a week and therefore my car is often setting in the carpark for 2 to 3 hours each time. With my ICE atm I don’t have the engine because of the fumes but was thinking of using a free charge point there or if that’s taken one nearby.

So does charging and have heated seats and AC on for hours hurting the battery? Can’t see anything on so sorry if this has been asked before.

phixion

Post by phixion »

I don't think so? Some people have the car on charge while warming it up to reduce the impact of battery heating on mileage.

Heated seats and steering wheel are powered from the 12v battery (as far as I understand) and shouldn't affect your mileage.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Slathe wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:14 pm
So does charging and have heated seats and AC on for hours hurting the battery? Can’t see anything on so sorry if this has been asked before.
As far as the heated seats are concerned, I'd like to think not, tbh, the power being drawn is minimal (but I could well be wrong) . This video is quite enlightening, as far as the heating power-consumption is concerned.
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

phixion wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:54 pm Heated seats and steering wheel are powered from the 12v battery (as far as I understand) and shouldn't affect your mileage.
So how does the 12v battery get recharged?
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
phixion

Post by phixion »

hungerdunger wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:42 pm So how does the 12v battery get recharged?
Regenerative braking. That's why at times you feel stronger regen braking than others.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

The energy used by the seats, wheel, heating system has to come from somewhere…

Since the 2.0 or 2.1 software, the 12V battery is topped up from the main drive battery pack.
phixion

Post by phixion »

You get more range if you drive without the heated blower but use heated seat and/or steering wheel instead. High temperature blower is quite a drain on the battery.

You might notice that sometimes regenerative braking is quite weak and other times quite strong.

From VW: "When you press the brake pedal of your ID.3, the electric motor acts like an alternator. Full recuperation performance transforms some of the kinetic energy into electric energy – which is fed directly back to the high-voltage battery."

If that is the case, I don't understand why the strength of regenerative braking varies so much. Surely if you're driving, any regenerative braking would help increase range.

Why is it that sometimes regenerative braking is weaker than other times?
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I assume because it depends on the urgency with which you need to slow down, assuming it's less than -0.25g and the discs aren't doing the work. The amount of regen varies with the pressure on the pedal or whatever B does? (I don't use B)
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

That's my understanding too. If you gradually ease off the regen is low. Try suddenly lifting fully off whilst in B mode ...
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]