Electricity qnd gas price hikes!!!

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

SteveH wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:31 pm With the current advice being to switch to a fixed tariff if you can get one less than 40% higher than the cap, I've been trying to switch to Octopus Go (which is 40.6% higher for me, but obviously has very cheap night rates which would make it worthwhile). Unfortunately Octopus say that since I'm not an existing customer I would have to go onto a (*really* expensive) interim tariff for an undetermined period of time first, and they also won't give me a quote for gas. So the whole thing appears to be a no-go for the time being, leaving me having to charge my car at day-rate prices. What a mess!
I think if you have a SMETS2 smart meter it would only be a couple of weeks before you could switch to Octopus GO but unless you’re lucky with the type of SMETS1 you have (like me) then you’d need a new meter first. I think what they do is check they can get the readings from your meter frequently enough before they will let you switch.

Octopus fixed rate gas tariffs are absolutely horrendous though. I think I was quoted 8p a unit! You’d probably be better off just switch your electricity.

I started the switch to GO just after they put their prices up so I’m going to hold out a bit closer when my car arrives and hope they don’t put it up again first. It would be a 50% increase on my standard tariff with them which I don’t think I could claw back by using white goods over night.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L

Smitten

Post by Smitten »

Quite a few people already on Octopus Go/Go Faster (on Speak EV) have had success with either their tariff auto renewing at the old 5p/14.8p tariff in the past few weeks or have simply asked Octopus to renew at the old rate and it has been done. Spotting this error others have then had contracts arbitrarily extended at the old rate for 3 months so that Octopus could issue them with the required 45 day notice telling them their tariff was increasing!!! They then realised this was somewhat bad form (and probably illegal) and if that has been done to you you should be getting an apology and your tariff extended at the old lower rate as an act of contrition. It seems they have made quite a balls-up of the whole renewal process. I just asked them if it was at all possible to renew at the old tariff and they extended it until 2023 no questions asked.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Good heavens I hope Octopus keep me on the Go 2018 tariff I’m currently on until April 😂 Long May those rates continue!
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Smitten wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:39 pm Quite a few people already on Octopus Go/Go Faster (on Speak EV) have had success with either their tariff auto renewing at the old 5p/14.8p tariff in the past few weeks or have simply asked Octopus to renew at the old rate and it has been done. Spotting this error others have then had contracts arbitrarily extended at the old rate for 3 months so that Octopus could issue them with the required 45 day notice telling them their tariff was increasing!!! They then realised this was somewhat bad form (and probably illegal) and if that has been done to you you should be getting an apology and your tariff extended at the old lower rate as an act of contrition. It seems they have made quite a balls-up of the whole renewal process. I just asked them if it was at all possible to renew at the old tariff and they extended it until 2023 no questions asked.
Did they let you renew at 25p/5p or 14.8p/5p? If the latter then they are expecting newer customers to pay 100%/50% more which is a bit of a mickey take.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Bubba82

Post by Bubba82 »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:28 pm
Smitten wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:39 pm Quite a few people already on Octopus Go/Go Faster (on Speak EV) have had success with either their tariff auto renewing at the old 5p/14.8p tariff in the past few weeks or have simply asked Octopus to renew at the old rate and it has been done. Spotting this error others have then had contracts arbitrarily extended at the old rate for 3 months so that Octopus could issue them with the required 45 day notice telling them their tariff was increasing!!! They then realised this was somewhat bad form (and probably illegal) and if that has been done to you you should be getting an apology and your tariff extended at the old lower rate as an act of contrition. It seems they have made quite a balls-up of the whole renewal process. I just asked them if it was at all possible to renew at the old tariff and they extended it until 2023 no questions asked.
Did they let you renew at 25p/5p or 14.8p/5p? If the latter then they are expecting newer customers to pay 100%/50% more which is a bit of a mickey take.
I have seen the go rate go up recently but anyone know the renewal standard rate as currently it doesn’t pay to swap to the go tariff as my standard rate of 17.57p is fixed until June 2023!
ID3 family pro in Turquoise with east Derry alloys
Ordered 21/9/2021…..Cancelled 19/3/2022
Was order No 31477
Original Confirmed build week 51 2021
Build week cancelled due to MY update
New build week of 35,36 now 40 2022 status 10
Delivery not now
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

2FD1FEA7-5A77-474D-B9DC-6A50A28900BD.png

Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:28 pm
They have completely mishandled the renewal process for some people. Some contracts rolled over and auto renewed without any 45 day notice of a new tariff. Some were renewed at the existing rate after contacting Octopus by email. Others had their contracts artificially extended just so the 45 day notice could be sent. They have back tracked from this and people have retained their original tariffs as an apology. To me it seems to illustrate a lack of proper management protocols or that their systems have been overwhelmed with the mass of new customers they have taken on. I expect there will no escape at next renewal and that the number of customers involved is quite small.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
Bubba82

Post by Bubba82 »

Utumno wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:08 pm 2FD1FEA7-5A77-474D-B9DC-6A50A28900BD.png
Thank you, Based on that it’s cheaper to move to the new go tariff go me but not by a huge amount…see what next year brings
ID3 family pro in Turquoise with east Derry alloys
Ordered 21/9/2021…..Cancelled 19/3/2022
Was order No 31477
Original Confirmed build week 51 2021
Build week cancelled due to MY update
New build week of 35,36 now 40 2022 status 10
Delivery not now
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:24 pm Octopus fixed rate gas tariffs are absolutely horrendous though. I think I was quoted 8p a unit! You’d probably be better off just switch your electricity.
My current supplier doesn't do single-fuel gas tariffs, so I would need to find an alternative gas supplier anyway. But Octopus wouldn't even tell me how much their gas tariffs cost - they basically said they wouldn't accept me as a customer until things settle, even though it would probably save me money.
Kelloggs

Post by Kelloggs »

Octopus go just rolled over after an apology email on 5p/13.8p for 12 months. With solar for last 7 years and storage batteries on the way I am very chuffed. . Btw not that it matters really but I have to point out British Gas is owned by Centrica a British company not part owned by French or anyone else. Still not cheap enough for me though
id3 life performance pro heat pump, turquoise,black.
share.octopus.energy/witty-hawk-404