Electricity qnd gas price hikes!!!

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Col21

Post by Col21 »

Are we really going to see any benefit from going from petrol/diesel to EV?
Ordered Family Pro Performance - 5/11/2021
Moonstone Grey with East Derry Alloys
Order number 31370***
Estimated arrival - April 2022 (from dealer) now moved to June!

MattP

Post by MattP »

Not a lot, certainly in the coming years nothing.
Octopus referral

https://share.octopus.energy/plum-mouse-3910
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Even a conservative estimate makes an ID3 fours times less to run than our ICE car. Is electricity going to increase four fold?
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Col21

Post by Col21 »

Well according to martin lewis' estimates the prices from October this year will be looking at c. £2250! From a cap of £900 this time last year 🙈 absolutely shocking really.
Order number 31370***
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

There’s a period of great adjustment coming. Generations have become used to, even addicted to, cheap fossil-based energy.

The adjustment to far more expensive energy generally is going to be painful for entire societies in my opinion.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Gas prices are ballooning. While 40% of our electricity comes from gas, electricity will balloon too. Hopefully these prices will push for a big expansion in wind, solar and hydro-electric power and we can tell the Russians to jog on because we'll be self sufficient. It'll also mean that my new boiler will become a bit of an ornament.

Not sure why we currently put most of our eggs in the wind basket when the tides are more reliable than wind or sunlight. More expensive to install/maintain than the other 2?

Wind would be fine with some decent amount of nuclear to back up.

Most of us are running cheap on Octopus GO off peak. When enough EVs are on the road, daytime will be off-peak. Right now, 60% of my household electricity usage is in powering 2 x ID3s, but only accounting for 35% of the metered costs (after standing charge).
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Hopefully things will stabilise and start to go back down in a few years. Prices would have to go up a lot for off-peak tariffs to start costing the same as petrol. Something like 60p a unit.

More and more wind turbines are going up with the intention of having over capacity to make up for low wind days. Loads of seabed was auctioned of in Scotland the other day for wind farms. Hinkley C comes online in 2027, Roll Royce SMR is in for design approval with the first reactors planned for 2030.

I’ve reserved for a share the next ripple energy wind farm. Hopefully if that works out it would protect me from another energy crisis for the next 25 years since I’ll not be buying petrol again.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Col21 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:21 pm Are we really going to see any benefit from going from petrol/diesel to EV?
I think if you do the vast majority of your charging at home, it'll still be cheaper but, if you use charging stations, I don't think there will be a big difference in price between electricity and ICE fuel (as far as running costs are concerned)
Trying to predict the future though? We'll get what we're given!
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
Col21

Post by Col21 »

I'm looking at installing a home charging point before the cut off in March for the government grant but won't actually get my car till late April early May. I know I'll need to make changes to my tariff which in presuming will need to be done when I get the charging point installed.
Little concerned about it all at the minute, but hey ho. I guess either way I'm going to benefit from fueling my diesel van!
Last edited by Col21 on Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Order number 31370***
Dbaron

Post by Dbaron »

The more EVs on the roads, the more electric we need, the more gas we need 😂 , the higher the prices go.

Government have been on about new nuclear power stations for the last 15 years but they've done nothing, apart from flirt with the Chinese, which they have now ditched.

This is the start of an energy crisis. The problem we have is the conservatives don't want to build anything that will benefit the general public. Subcontract it to Rupert James Wallace The Second of Eton's dad, then he can keep any profit. When it starts to loose money hand it back over to the public to pick up the tab. But then if you leave it to labour they will run a project that will cost £1 trillion , have a 40 different toilets for every type of gender, and all the staff will be on at least £1 million per hour and encouraged to be on constant sick leave because turning up for work is very stressful.

Maybe British gas which is owned by a French company part owned by the French government or EON owned by a German company which is part owned by the German government can help us?
Col21

Post by Col21 »

Dbaron wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:43 pm The more EVs on the roads, the more electric we need, the more gas we need 😂 , the higher the prices go.

Government have been on about new nuclear power stations for the last 15 years but they've done nothing, apart from flirt with the Chinese, which they have now ditched.

This is the start of an energy crisis. The problem we have is the conservatives don't want to build anything that will benefit the general public. Subcontract it to Rupert James Wallace The Second of Eton's dad, then he can keep any profit. When it starts to loose money hand it back over to the public to pick up the tab. But then if you leave it to labour they will run a project that will cost £1 trillion , have a 40 different toilets for every type of gender, and all the staff will be on at least £1 million per hour and encouraged to be on constant sick leave because turning up for work is very stressful.

Maybe British gas which is owned by a French company part owned by the French government or EON owned by a German company which is part owned by the German government can help us?
You are absolutely right there. Its a bloody mess isnt it.
My husband did say before we brought this car how the need for energy will cause a massive cost increase!
However, for all car manufacturers to be so desperate in selling these cars, surley the government have some sort k plan in place for how they will generate such massive amounts of electricity?
I'm not going to lie I havent read much about any of it, I literally just wanted a car for work that isn't a transporter and that wouldnt cost me the earth. Maybe I should of done abit more research into it all :roll:
Order number 31370***
ItshardtobuyId3

Dbaron wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:43 pm The more EVs on the roads, the more electric we need, the more gas we need 😂 , the higher the prices go.

Not quite true. Hinkley point C is being built now and rolls Royce have been give £500 million in private and government funding to get there new power station off the ground.

ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Dbaron

Post by Dbaron »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:54 pm

Not quite true. Hinkley point C is being built now and rolls Royce have been give £500 million in private and government funding to get there new power station off the ground.

Yup. Announced in 2010, start construction 8 years later. Won't be operational till 2026, owned by EDF paid for by the public. Classic conservative deal.
Bengeo

Post by Bengeo »

The price of petrol and diesel might go up too .....
Tour 77kWh Pro S in Glacier White

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
ItshardtobuyId3

Dbaron wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:05 pm
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:54 pm

Yup. Announced in 2010, start construction 8 years later. Won't be operational till 2026, owned by EDF paid for by the public. Classic conservative deal.
Well yeah, hard to argue it was a good deal at 20+ billion but it is being built. Fingers crossed the SMR’s happen. Far cheaper to build and not subsiding the French tax payer once built.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

I assume by benefit, you mean financially, and it really depends on use case and what you're coming from. If you're currently driving an oil burner achieving 50-60mpg doing long motorway runs using public fast charging, then I think you may even see an increase in costs. If you're currently driving an ICE car averaging 23mpg, doing short journeys at relatively low speeds, with the ability to charge an EV at home, then I think the switch will be financially beneficial, even if/when electricity prices sore. Of course not all of us are switching to an EV to save money.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
BeesKnees

Post by BeesKnees »

As EVs expand, so is wind and solar. Can't see gas use for electricity changing much over the next decade.

We have a hell of a lot of offshore wind scheduled in the next 8 years, about 50GW worth. Which will generate approx 30GWh and dwarf the addition of EVs in the period.

It's a switch from heatiing that makes things interesting, but even then it's a transfer of gas use from domestic to the electricity network so it evens out.
Life Pro with tow hook Stonewashed Blue
Ordered July , provisional build week 40/41, now 43. Confirmed 45
Order No 3136****
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Col21 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:53 pm

You are absolutely right there. Its a bloody mess isnt it.
My husband did say before we brought this car how the need for energy will cause a massive cost increase!
However, for all car manufacturers to be so desperate in selling these cars, surley the government have some sort k plan in place for how they will generate such massive amounts of electricity?
I'm not going to lie I havent read much about any of it, I literally just wanted a car for work that isn't a transporter and that wouldnt cost me the earth. Maybe I should of done abit more research into it all :roll:
This useless government wouldn't, and doesn't, know what a plan is! Unless it's to make all their mates rich and thus make themselves richer.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

With the current advice being to switch to a fixed tariff if you can get one less than 40% higher than the cap, I've been trying to switch to Octopus Go (which is 40.6% higher for me, but obviously has very cheap night rates which would make it worthwhile). Unfortunately Octopus say that since I'm not an existing customer I would have to go onto a (*really* expensive) interim tariff for an undetermined period of time first, and they also won't give me a quote for gas. So the whole thing appears to be a no-go for the time being, leaving me having to charge my car at day-rate prices. What a mess!
MattP

Post by MattP »

I’m in exactly the same position. It’s a mess alright.
I think some people don’t realise what massive hikes are coming this year.
Octopus referral

https://share.octopus.energy/plum-mouse-3910