New car

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Alanpyle

Post by Alanpyle »

Collected my new ID.3 today,went out for a nice ride,really enjoyed the ride, but the windows keep fogging up & image to keep turning the heating on & off,is there a better way please?

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

You don't necessarily have to heat, but you do need the aircon on to dehumidify the air.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Leave the climate system on, set to a temperature that you’re comfortable with, with AC active - it’s that simple.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I have a slightly related question (also a new owner) so may as well ask it here.
Playing with the climate control obviously changes the range estimate on the GOM. Bizarrely though, I've found that setting the climate to LO results in an instantly (and significantly) higher range prediction than turning the climate completely off. I know it's called the GOM for a reason.... but is there any reason that turning climate on, without heat, would give better range than having it turned off? I can't think of one. Do everyone's cars indicate this?

P.S. to the OP, there is also a 'demist windows' climate shortcut you could choose to use if they get bad. Click on 'smart climate' in the climate control menu and you'll see it.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

On Low in mine the fan just runs with no resistive heating. The fan consumes a tiny amount of power compared with the heater hence the range difference between Low and any other temperature setting.

I also do as Scott recommends and has recommended in the past. I leave mine in Auto at 20C but with the AC off . That prevents the refrigeration/cooliing compressor running and is a choice as my sinuses cant tolerate very dry air.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The aircon is always running in the background, to a very small degree, whether you've set it or not. This is to stop the seals on the refrigerant circuit from drying out. All VAG models released since 2017 do this.

Also, setting LO.works for now in requiring no heating because the ambient temp is so low. In the Summer, the aircon will be working hard to cool the cabin air down.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:27 am The aircon is always running in the background, to a very small degree, whether you've set it or not. This is to stop the seals on the refrigerant circuit from drying out. All VAG models released since 2017 do this.

Also, setting LO.works for now in requiring no heating because the ambient temp is so low. In the Summer, the aircon will be working hard to cool the cabin air down.
I wonder if the car also runs the heater slightly when the system is off but running in the background, to avoid making the car cold. Do you know? I noticed that the consumption assumed by the GOM last night with the system off seemed to be about the same as with it set to 16. If that's true, it would explain why 'LO' at the moment was lower consumption than 'off'. Appreciate it would be different in summer.
Obviously driving along in winter with LO is not ideal anyway, I'm just in the phase of exploring what the car does at the moment. Although I find it quite comfy with aircon off and seats/steering wheel on 1 or 2 bars, they are very powerful. (Never had either of these things in a car before :))
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I find having it on one fan bar - directed at windscreen and feet at 17 degrees the best 'low consumption' method. If you switch it off off - then the background consumption of the car is about 0.2-0.3kw.

It takes a while to affect the GOM if you are not driving. When you are driving (and the car has some sensibleish idea of how you are driving) switching the heater on/off has a pretty instant effect on the GOM.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Yer it was while driving (motorway) that I fiddled with the climate settings a bit and noticed the above. Next time I'm using the car I might see what happens to consumption on the driveway with the various settings.
stevieboy

Post by stevieboy »

Alanpyle wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:16 pm Collected my new ID.3 today,went out for a nice ride,really enjoyed the ride, but the windows keep fogging up & image to keep turning the heating on & off,is there a better way please?
Hit the "MAX" button on the instrument light control cluster for a rapid demist.

max.jpg

ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Stone washed Blue | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | Wallbox Home Charger
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Leave the Climate in auto at a sensible temperature. Anything over 18C works for me.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22