Range display flips

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

As it's winter I'm getting a lower indicated range on the driver's display panel. At the moment most of my journeys are short, so range is suffering from warm-up loss. I've started to charge the battery (even if it's only 5% down from my target 80%) just before my planned departure because charging will most likely help to preheat the system. So now I see, typically, 180 miles when I set off. When I reach my destination it might read 175 miles, nut as soon as I get out of my seat (the "finished" trigger) the displayed range drops to, say, 160 miles. Strange behaviour.

I'm sure that the range is calculated based on recent usage, but this doesn't make much sense. Any thoughts?
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.

rawws

Post by rawws »

ProstetnicVogonJeltz wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:33 pm As it's winter I'm getting a lower indicated range on the driver's display panel. At the moment most of my journeys are short, so range is suffering from warm-up loss. I've started to charge the battery (even if it's only 5% down from my target 80%) just before my planned departure because charging will most likely help to preheat the system. So now I see, typically, 180 miles when I set off. When I reach my destination it might read 175 miles, nut as soon as I get out of my seat (the "finished" trigger) the displayed range drops to, say, 160 miles. Strange behaviour.

I'm sure that the range is calculated based on recent usage, but this doesn't make much sense. Any thoughts?
I get similar range, winter range I think it's calculated on the average battery consumption I see it if I drive 65miles per hour motorway compared to 75 mph amazing the difference in range between the two . Winter range hit real though so I find myself charging car to 90% instead of recommended 80% to compensate the frequency on charges .in summer charging to 80% is more than enough for my usage since have no joke charger but in winter I charge to 90% to compensate a bit , since they say regularly charging to 100% is not good.
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

ProstetnicVogonJeltz wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:33 pm As it's winter I'm getting a lower indicated range on the driver's display panel. At the moment most of my journeys are short, so range is suffering from warm-up loss. I've started to charge the battery (even if it's only 5% down from my target 80%) just before my planned departure because charging will most likely help to preheat the system. So now I see, typically, 180 miles when I set off. When I reach my destination it might read 175 miles, nut as soon as I get out of my seat (the "finished" trigger) the displayed range drops to, say, 160 miles. Strange behaviour.

It is based on the most recent driving and consumption. My own experience over a year is that when we say recent it's very recent like based on your last journey only. That makes sense to me in as much that a projection of range is assuming that your next journey will be the same as last.
I can't explain the reduction in range when you leave the car. My range often jumps up if I turn the Climate off when I leave the car. Other than that 180 at 90% in cold weather seems reasonable.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

Never seen this guy before but watch this YouTube video and its as real world as I have seen in a range test of the ID.3
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

Video not showing but search for VW ID.3 WINTER RANGE TEST - A MUST KNOW! | 58kWh Pro Life Performance. by Steve Julien, good watch
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

He needs to get 2.3 installed.. 198 miles in London Traffic and at motorway speeds seems OK to me. He was lucky it was above 10 degrees. Would have been a different story had it been lower.
phixion

Post by phixion »

So far I have only ever charged when my battery hits 40% and always charged to 80%, is there any evidence to show that charging at say, 70% to 80% is harmful for the battery over time?

I haven't even used the free Supermarket charging stations yet because in my head, doing small charges like that often might be detrimental.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

phixion wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:59 pm Is there any evidence to show that charging at say, 70% to 80% is harmful for the battery over time?

That's in-line with VW's recommendations anyhow, no individual cell should be "stressed" if you do that.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

phixion wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:59 pm So far I have only ever charged when my battery hits 40% and always charged to 80%, is there any evidence to show that charging at say, 70% to 80% is harmful for the battery over time?

I haven't even used the free Supermarket charging stations yet because in my head, doing small charges like that often might be detrimental.
Small charges between the 20% and 80% SoC have lesser impact on Lithium batteries and is the recommended scenario, if you manage with charging from 40% to 80% then stick with what's convenient neither will have more or less of an impact on battery life.
Storing a battery with a high SoC has more harmful effect than mid range cycling and charging above 80% speeds up capacity fade. (Statistically)

As for the Free supermarket chargers, personally I see that as more effort than return for the length of time I am in a Supermarket.
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Also I have noticed there are several settings in the infotainment system referring to status of the car and display options… ‘last journey’ ; ‘Since last charge’; ‘over lifetime’. Could it be possible that the ‘range display’ seems to calculate based on which of these options you have selected? I.e It takes the average for the last journey, or the average since the last charge?
If you are driving the same route each day, probably you would see only minor differences on these display options - due to driving behaviour (heater, lights on/ off etc) and conditions….

To me this would not be unusual because my ICE car does exactly the same on ‘refuel range’… This is why sometimes the range appears to go up on a long journey using motorways, or if I do a reset after the first 10km.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I doubt the range is obtained from those screens per say. The data that makes the info up for these screens has clear parameters for reporting so other than last journey I would think it is misleading.
In trying to work out why your range jumped upwards I noticed mine did the same this week. Never seen it before.
I made one very short jouney of 12 mins at 2 degC.
The batteties were at temperature when I stopped.
Got back in the car some time later and the range was 25 miles higher. Conclusion. The batteries were at temperature so predicted range did not need to factor in battery heating. Bit like the jump up if you turn Climate off.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

It seems odd behaviour to go down at that point, Is the Air Condition Now option 'On' when you get out and so the car continues to heat the cabin? I'm thinking that if you pre-charged did you pre-heat with the app and has it still got time to run?
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

I sometimes preheat but (slightly dorky I know) always stop this manually before starting the car!
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.