ODB 11 Hacks

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 1676

Post by Deleted User 1676 »

I’m tempted to grab an ODB 11 dongle and software for my ID.3 when it arrives, and Battery Life’s video only makes me want to use it more. I want to fix all those software issues, or at least to have the option. Some of the scripts that he runs look very tempting. I ran scripts in the past on my VW Transporter and Porsche with no problems.

I understand all about the warranty caveats, but I doubt I’ll wait for the warranty to run out.

Battery Life: Hacking ID.3 through ODB eleven

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I’m quite interested in this as well. Think I might wait for the V3 software and see what they implement before I buy the obd11
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Seen this so many times and have to say I cannot take seriously the fact they called it ODB eleven, I assume they didn't get the Roman Numerals.

Your not going to 'fix' any software errors with this at best you'll change a few parameters. I've had Ross-Tech Vagcom devices for years but the warranty issues they bring on new cars aren't worth it, I also still wouldn't trust updating modules over a bluetooth connection.
baguette

Post by baguette »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:34 pm Seen this so many times and have to say I cannot take seriously the fact they called it ODB eleven, I assume they didn't get the Roman Numerals.

Perhaps they know it's actually OBDII, but can avoid lawyer problems if they pretend they think it's OBD11.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The biggest plus for me is that with OBD11, you can get the car to remember you switched the awful lane assist off so you don't have to turn it off every time. There's not a lot else you can do.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:37 am The biggest plus for me is that with OBD11, you can get the car to remember you switched the awful lane assist off so you don't have to turn it off every time. There's not a lot else you can do.
I agree with @monkeyhanger. Just to be able to change the Lane Assist setting to "remember last setting' is worth the price of the OBD11.
That said, in view of the BLE security issues with all these types of dongle I certainly wouldn't leave the OBDII permanently plugged into the car for stats collection or ABRP app integration/optimisation etc.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

The ability to turn off Lane assist is certainly a popular one, but as someone who hasn't found any issues with lane assist, I am more intrigued as to whether those with seemingly constant interruptions have cars with systems that are faulty in some way.
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:35 pm The ability to turn off Lane assist is certainly a popular one, but as someone who hasn't found any issues with lane assist, I am more intrigued as to whether those with seemingly constant interruptions have cars with systems that are faulty in some way.
By way of an example:-
If you regularly travel on a narrow(ish) busy road with a 40mph speed limit and cycle lanes interspersed with frequent central pedestrian refuges you are likely to find that permanently active Lane Assist is a PITA.

I appreciate that Lane Assist may be useful for drivers who regularly travel on lengthy motorway/dual-carriageway journeys.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:35 pm The ability to turn off Lane assist is certainly a popular one, but as someone who hasn't found any issues with lane assist, I am more intrigued as to whether those with seemingly constant interruptions have cars with systems that are faulty in some way.
Ironically my own minor disappointment with lane assist is simply that I don't think it's very good. My other car is a 2014 Octavia VRS that has lane assist, I think probably as an optional extra at the time. The Octavia system is useless on single carriageway roads and less smooth than the ID3, but it is definitely more effective than the ID3 at its main job on a motorway - keeping you in the lane if you get distracted. The ID3 system only seems to work at the slightest of angles, it's as if VW have purposefully downgraded lane assist capability since 2014 to persuade more people to buy a car with full travel assist. Any sort of motorway bend (edit - actually that's probably unfair but certainly on fairly common motorway bends) and it just goes straight on.
I have had no issues with it being switched on yet though. I turned it off when wanting to travel quickly over the Snake Pass just in case it did something unexpected, but otherwise I've left it on.
For what it's worth, if anyone does want to be able to turn it on/off more easily while driving, I've realised that if you put the 'assist' menu into list mode before setting off, then it only takes two actions to change - one to press the assist button and one to toggle lane assist on the screen. Much easier than the three or four screen presses I had been led to expect.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:13 pm
Ironically my own minor disappointment with lane assist is simply that I don't think it's very good. My other car is a 2014 Octavia VRS that has lane assist, I think probably as an optional extra at the time. The Octavia system is useless on single carriageway roads and less smooth than the ID3, but it is definitely more effective than the ID3 at its main job on a motorway - keeping you in the lane if you get distracted. The ID3 system only seems to work at the slightest of angles, it's as if VW have purposefully downgraded lane assist capability since 2014 to persuade more people to buy a car with full travel assist. Any sort of motorway bend (edit - actually that's probably unfair but certainly on fairly common motorway bends) and it just goes straight on.
I have had no issues with it being switched on yet though. I turned it off when wanting to travel quickly over the Snake Pass just in case it did something unexpected, but otherwise I've left it on.
For what it's worth, if anyone does want to be able to turn it on/off more easily while driving, I've realised that if you put the 'assist' menu into list mode before setting off, then it only takes two actions to change - one to press the assist button and one to toggle lane assist on the screen. Much easier than the three or four screen presses I had been led to expect.
Could you remind me how to put the assist menu into list mode please.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Press the assist button. Assuming it is shows you the picture of the car (ie isn't in list mode already) press the icon in the top left of the screen (and scroll down slightly so you can see the lane assist toggle on the screen.) It remembers this next time you press the assist button when driving.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:44 pm Press the assist button. Assuming it is shows you the picture of the car (ie isn't in list mode already) press the icon in the top left of the screen (and scroll down slightly so you can see the lane assist toggle on the screen.) It remembers this next time you press the assist button when driving.
OK thanks
eirofarr

Post by eirofarr »

I've been using the OBD Eleven for a few years, I don't have the ID3 yet, The benefit of the OBD Eleven is that you don't need to long code things to make a change, otherwise, you can use any OBD II software if you have the long codes for the changes you want.
My Golf R mk7.5 I changed the look of the virtual dash. memory for the head lights (if you switch on the automatic beam, then it stays on next time you get in the car, I never touch this now) , memory on the heated seats (it goes back on to the same setting as when you turn the car off)
I can't see the options for the ID3 as I need to plug in and register the car to the app.