Door handle covers.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

If anyone is interested, Plugear has just released the RHD version of their door handle covers.

I already have the middle cupholder covered with a Matt black cover and it looks miles better than the gloss black.

Placed an order today and will post pictures when they arrive!
2021 Life Pro Performance - Manganese Grey - 19" Andoyas - Software 2.3 - SOLD July 2022.

itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

Looking so much better!

391CBE4A-E660-455A-AFDA-33BC8348C343.jpeg

2021 Life Pro Performance - Manganese Grey - 19" Andoyas - Software 2.3 - SOLD July 2022.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Do they have the rear ones as well? If not, i'd wait for the whole car to be done. How about prices?

Although mine are covered in fingerprints (especially on the rear doors, from the kids), i'd surprised that there's still not a scratch on them.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:35 am Do they have the rear ones as well? If not, i'd wait for the whole car to be done. How about prices?

Although mine are covered in fingerprints (especially on the rear doors, from the kids), i'd surprised that there's still not a scratch on them.
Comes as a full set so both front and both rear, came in around £60 for the set which is pricey however for me it's well worth it... as much as I love the gloss black I can't stand the finger prints etc!
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

itsmeGAV wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:04 pm If anyone is interested, Plugear has just released the RHD version of their door handle covers.

I already have the middle cupholder covered with a Matt black cover and it looks miles better than the gloss black.

Great idea. After a week of travelling in the ID3 the 'ebony gloss' looked s**t. It is a bit of a dumb design - aesthetics disconnected from the real world .

Hate to think what it will look like in 3 years with my wife's jewellery. Evidence of scratches around the door handle with her previous car ...
Also from the experience in my 3 year-old ICE car (pride and joy) which has a ebony console around the gear selector, it is virtually impossible to avoid a chip or a scratch.

Please could you post a link ? Thanks in advance.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

How are they fixed on, is it some kind of adhesive? Mine is a lease car so I would have to restore the piano black before returning it.
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

duckworthsj wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:53 am
itsmeGAV wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:04 pm If anyone is interested, Plugear has just released the RHD version of their door handle covers.

Great idea. After a week of travelling in the ID3 the 'ebony gloss' looked s**t. It is a bit of a dumb design - aesthetics disconnected from the real world .

Hate to think what it will look like in 3 years with my wife's jewellery. Evidence of scratches around the door handle with her previous car ...
Also from the experience in my 3 year-old ICE car (pride and joy) which has a ebony console around the gear selector, it is virtually impossible to avoid a chip or a scratch.

They're from a company called Plugear who work in with Torque Alliance based out of the Netherlands and arrived in 3 days.

https://www.plugear.com/product/vw-id-3 ... cover-set/
chrisfs wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:13 am How are they fixed on, is it some kind of adhesive? Mine is a lease car so I would have to restore the piano black before returning it.
They're fixed on by 3M tape so easy to remove and will cause no damage upon removal. :)
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

itsmeGAV wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:28 pm
duckworthsj wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:53 am

They're from a company called Plugear who work in with Torque Alliance based out of the Netherlands and arrived in 3 days.

https://www.plugear.com/product/vw-id-3 ... cover-set/
chrisfs wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:13 am How are they fixed on, is it some kind of adhesive? Mine is a lease car so I would have to restore the piano black before returning it.
They're fixed on by 3M tape so easy to remove and will cause no damage upon removal. :)
Thanks!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If you ever want to remove something taped on with 3M tape, you need to use dental floss to "saw" through the spongy tape. You peel off the remnant residues once you've separated the stuck on thing - had to do the same to remove my dashcam mount from my old car.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Just looked at the website - I wish there was an option that reflected one of the common greys on the dash or seats, the white doesn't really go with anything, but a grey or matt silver probably would've had me placing an order right now and help break up the huge anthracite grey slab that is the door card.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Tooks at the Speakev forum had ordered a set from Torque Alliance in matt carbon before he'd decided to chop in his ID3 for an ID4 GTX. As he hadn't fitted them, he offered them to me at cost, which was pretty reasonable as I have heard of 1 person being clobbered with a £41 fee for import duty and associated collection of duty costs because the value was misrepresented (high).

I was worried that carbon would look a bit Halfords, but i'm pleased to say, it doesn't (IMO) and helps to break up the door card drabness a bit (I'd have preferred a satin silver if such a colour was available. The precision of the fitment is amazing, covering all of the black gloss portion of the door handles.

20220222_120558.jpg

20220222_120519.jpg

20220222_120435.jpg

20220222_120400.jpg

Jack1338

Post by Jack1338 »

Thanks for these photos. Had an eye on these but always weary of how the quality is on these sorts of products, but the images (and your description) do make them look pretty nice!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Jack1338 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:28 pm Thanks for these photos. Had an eye on these but always weary of how the quality is on these sorts of products, but the images (and your description) do make them look pretty nice!
As you might have gathered from my earlier posts in the thread, I was wary, and worried about quality of fit and finish. I can only say that the fit and finish are excellent, you couldn't ask for a tighter tolerance and precision - especially as you look around the cut outs for window switches and see the consistently tidy framing of those switches.

I wouldn't have tolerated them looking crap once fitted, and they're staying, so make of that what you will. Although i bought these from someone who ended up not needing them due to a change in car, buying from Torque allance themselves is apparently a few quid cheaper than buying from Plugear.

They're 65 Euros, exclusive of UK VAT, which is added on at checkout.

I might be biased, but I prefer the matt carbon to the matt black, as they don't blend in to the door card quite as much.

deccauk

Post by deccauk »

Are these applied "wet" to allow sliding into place?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

deccauk wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:01 pm Are these applied "wet" to allow sliding into place?
No, they're secured with pre-placed doubled sided tape. I used the outer front inner edge as a starting point, the pivoted the rest of the piece into place, checking the uniformity of the cutout around the window switches.

Jack1338

Post by Jack1338 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:24 pm
Jack1338 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:28 pm Thanks for these photos. Had an eye on these but always weary of how the quality is on these sorts of products, but the images (and your description) do make them look pretty nice!
As you might have gathered from my earlier posts in the thread, I was wary, and worried about quality of fit and finish. I can only say that the fit and finish are excellent, you couldn't ask for a tighter tolerance and precision - especially as you look around the cut outs for window switches and see the consistently tidy framing of those switches.

I wouldn't have tolerated them looking crap once fitted, and they're staying, so make of that what you will. Although i bought these from someone who ended up not needing them due to a change in car, buying from Torque allance themselves is apparently a few quid cheaper than buying from Plugear.

I might be biased, but I prefer the matt carbon to the matt black, as they don't blend in to the door card quite as much.
Thank you for the notes here. Yeah, the very fact alone that you are keeping them on says enough for me. Think I'll get on ordering them soon - I do like the matt carbon most as well I think.
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

Absolutely love that you went ahead with them mate, as you'll agree the quality is 10/10. I believe they spent quite some time creating them for RHD.

Just an FYI they're both the same price between Torque Alliance & Plugear :)

Yeah the Matt Black isn't for everyone but I've never been a fan of the carbon look anyways, even if it was real carbon.. just doesn't get me going haha plus I also already has the centre gloss covered with a Matt Black cover so wouldn't have looked right imo.
Jack1338

Post by Jack1338 »

Old post here! But just FYI that I have my ID.3 (delivered mid-last month) and I went ahead with getting the matt-carbon look covers. Man am I impressed - it honestly does look almost like factory. You can notice they aren't factory if you are reaaaally looking, or if you own an ID.3 and just know, but I am dead chuffed with the finish of them. I liked your wording of fear of a "halfords" finish - that was always the fear, but your post & pictures gave me the confidence that the finish was great, and well - lead to me ordering them. Just wanted to say thank you for the post really, as it really helped me a lot!
Ccmc

Post by Ccmc »

Just ordered these as well. Getting really sick of the fingerprints and have noticed a few small scratches after only a couple of months ownership.
Jack1338

Post by Jack1338 »

Ccmc wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:50 pm Just ordered these as well. Getting really sick of the fingerprints and have noticed a few small scratches after only a couple of months ownership.
Won't regret it in my opinion. We're leasing ours, so anything we can do to protect it whilst keeping a good look is worth it for us haha.