Steamy windows

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
gadge

Post by gadge »

Is it a common thing for the windscreen in the id3 to easily get misted up!

Test driven id3 had a misted up windscreen, now my own id3 has started to mist up! :?

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Turn on the A/C.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

gadge wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:05 pm Is it a common thing for the windscreen in the id3 to easily get misted up!

Test driven id3 had a misted up windscreen, now my own id3 has started to mist up! :?
With the weather as it is, a mixture of damp and thawing-ice which creates damp, it's more than possible to have extra moisture in the car which manifests as mist/moisture on glass.

If you get in and it is misty, start the car and press this button:

VW_ID3_heater.png

...and 2 things will happen - (1) the screen will clear in 1-2 minutes, (2) your range will drop considerably.

So (3) after you can see through the screen (4) press the same button again to turn off. Normal range restored!
71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

I get the same with mine, I've got AC on permanently but still get steaming on windscreen. I have to go into climate controls and manually force air to windscreen. Never had this issue with any other car?
phixion

Post by phixion »

Don't have an issue with mine, I just leave my AC running on the lowest fan speed.

First thing I'd do in your situation is get some good interior glass cleaner and see how that goes. A good glass cleaner will stop it from steaming up.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
Jamh2000

Post by Jamh2000 »

I had this as a problem to start with. It’s just about getting the hang of how the a/c works and having it on at a low speed always. It’s easy to think it’s on when it’s not when you first start.
ID.3 Life Pro, Manganese Grey
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

First thing that came into my head when I saw this thread was Tina Turner - I need help! 😂
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

The science is moist air inside the car condensing out on the cold glass. At this time of year the amount of water suspended in the air is relatively low but once we are in the cabin the moisture we add via our breath is sufficient to reach dew point on the glass. The ID3 does seem very well sealed which means unless you can change the air or warm the screen it will continue to mist up.
What works for me is leaving the Climate in AUTO even on a low setting like 18C. It clears within a few minutes. I never have AC (refrigeration/cooling) enabled out of choice but it still works perfectly for me.
I don't know what sensors VW have built into the Climate control but wondered whether a moisture/RH sensor was built into the return air ducts because in AUTO it does an amazing job of keeping the screen clear with no noticeable change in range compared with other heating settings.
Another thing I do if it is dry outside is to crack the window open with one touch for driver and passenger side switch. You don't need to see a gap just move the glass off of the seal. That is often enough to allow air changes with the outside air that reduces the moisture content without It then condensing on the glass. This works at temperatures above 5C in my car even with the Climate off.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Daveion wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:24 am The science is moist air inside the car condensing out on the cold glass. At this time of year the amount of water suspended in the air is relatively low but once we are in the cabin the moisture we add via our breath is sufficient to reach dew point on the glass. The ID3 does seem very well sealed which means unless you can change the air or warm the screen it will continue to mist up.
What works for me is leaving the Climate in AUTO even on a low setting like 18C. It clears within a few minutes. I never have AC (refrigeration/cooling) enabled out of choice but it still works perfectly for me.
I don't know what sensors VW have built into the Climate control but wondered whether a moisture/RH sensor was built into the return air ducts because in AUTO it does an amazing job of keeping the screen clear with no noticeable change in range compared with other heating settings.
Another thing I do if it is dry outside is to crack the window open with one touch for driver and passenger side switch. You don't need to see a gap just move the glass off of the seal. That is often enough to allow air changes with the outside air that reduces the moisture content without It then condensing on the glass. This works at temperatures above 5C in my car even with the Climate off.

If you have Climate in AUTO, the AC is on behind the scenes (it’s in the manual). This is specifically to dehumidify the air to prevent misting.

In short the advice for everyone should really be to put the thing in AUTO, set a temperature, and then leave it well alone to do its thing.

Full disclosure; SWMBO always thinks she knows better, so constantly fiddles with the heater. However she either sets MAX or LO (because she is either cold or hot) so vehicle occupants either freeze, bake or stifle and the vehicle heating system always gets the blame. This has happened now for 20+ years across more marques vehicles and trims than you could hope to list, with only one common factor….🤷‍♂️
Tesla Model Y Long Range

ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Utumno wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:53 am
Daveion wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:24 am The science is moist air inside the car condensing out on the cold glass. At this time of year the amount of water suspended in the air is relatively low but once we are in the cabin the moisture we add via our breath is sufficient to reach dew point on the glass. The ID3 does seem very well sealed which means unless you can change the air or warm the screen it will continue to mist up.

If you have Climate in AUTO, the AC is on behind the scenes (it’s in the manual). This is specifically to dehumidify the air to prevent misting.

In short the advice for everyone should really be to put the thing in AUTO, set a temperature, and then leave it well alone to do its thing.

Full disclosure; SWMBO always thinks she knows better, so constantly fiddles with the heater. However she either sets MAX or LO (because she is either cold or hot) so vehicle occupants either freeze, bake or stifle and the vehicle heating system always gets the blame. This has happened now for 20+ years across more marques vehicles and trims than you could hope to list, with only one common factor….🤷‍♂️
I’ve only ever had one car before with climate control and like you I just used to leave it on AUTO all the time and it did a fantastic job! I’m really looking forward to having it on the ID3.

My Polo mists up something chronic, I’ve never worked out why it’s so bad but it’s by far the worst car I’ve ever had for it. I get full on water droplets on the inside 🙁
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:31 am First thing that came into my head when I saw this thread was Tina Turner - I need help! 😂
Snap.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I always have it in auto but with the AC on (18C). I didn’t realise that the AC was on in the background with only the Auto set. My reasoning for putting the AC into the on position is that I had problems on a previous car whereby if the AC wasn’t used, it clogged up. Had to be drained and refilled and they told me just to leave it on all the time, even at a very low level and wouldn’t clog up.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Utumno wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:53 am

I'm not surprised that the AC compressor runs intermittently in the background as the demist in AUTO is so effective. It would not run continuously as heating and cooling simultaneously consumes too much power so not good on a BEV. It must have a means of measuring moisture content or maybe ice on the cooling coil to determine how often it runs.
As for SWMBO. Age old problem getting temperatures right for everyone. When the heater reaches temperature and turns off the fan continues to circulate air and feeling that air against your skin then feels cold so the heating gets cranked up.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
gadge

Post by gadge »

Guess I will need a good cleaner for the inside. Had a Tiguan before this and never had this issue, I should have to have front de-mist on constant. Its like there isn't enough fresh air coming in (no its not in re-circ!).
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Some general thoughts
1. If you’re getting water droplets inside often (like on a previous posters polo) then chances are you have a leak. Feel the floor carpets in all the footwells
2. You’ve got to have water vapour inside to condense - so if you’ve recently come in from the rain- got a wet coat/dog etc on the back seat then that moisture needs to leave the car somehow - AC is the quickest / easiest way to do this.
3. When mine was delivered the inside of the windows were still filthy - which didn’t help with any misting.
4. Lots of people in the car will increase the amount of water vapour too…

I’ve not run the ac except by accident for 3 months and have no problems whatsoever. If I switch off climate completely (eg to save juice) then things mist up in 10-15 min and disappear within seconds of putting the heating back on.

I’ve had no problems whatsoever with misting up on mine so - surprised to hear it’s an issue. Perhaps if it persists check with the dealer. Perhaps the fresh air input to the heater unit is disconnected/broken?
phixion

Post by phixion »

If cleaning the windows and leaving the climate control on auto doesn't help you could always opt for some Silica Dehumidifier Bags.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale »

I used to get it when I was in my late teens on my minis. It eased off when I joined the raf so couldn't go dogging so often 🤣🤣🤣🤣
ID3 Tour, Heat pump, sports pack, moonstone grey
ordered 24/01/22
Arrived: 05/05/23
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Dinsdale wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:31 pm I used to get it when I was in my late teens on my minis. It eased off when I joined the raf so couldn't go dogging so often 🤣🤣🤣🤣
That’d be the rusted through floor pans letting in water 😁
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

MotMot wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:53 pm
Dinsdale wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:31 pm I used to get it when I was in my late teens on my minis. It eased off when I joined the raf so couldn't go dogging so often 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Please let’s not think about what liquid was causing the rusting as a result of the dogging.

Cannot. Unsee.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale »

Utumno wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:05 pm
MotMot wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:53 pm

Please let’s not think about what liquid was causing the rusting as a result of the dogging.

Cannot. Unsee.
Impressive. I haven't been on this forum a week and already I have it in the gutter 👍👍
ID3 Tour, Heat pump, sports pack, moonstone grey
ordered 24/01/22
Arrived: 05/05/23