VW announces restriction in models to be produced.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Here is announcement from the French auto magazine 'L'Argus' from today using google translate
For those of you with 'orders' (See Delivery time' thread) and also knowing at end of last year VW were already planning to simplify their range of trims, you might find this enlightening to have another take on the Delivery issues.

Quote:
To deal with the production problems of the ID.3 linked to the shortage of semiconductors, Volkswagen is temporarily reducing its range to a single finish, the special Active series displayed at €44,680.

Only one finish available to order
The entire ID.3 range is temporarily disappearing in favor of a single version, the special Active series. This features the battery/motor pack of the mid-range Pro Performance variant, with a 58kWh battery and 204hp motor. The other batteries, 45 and 77 kWh, are set aside for the moment.
The equipment is rather complete, with 18-inch East Derry alloy wheels, rear view camera, heated and height-adjustable front seats, heated steering wheel, 10-inch Discover Pro multimedia system and automatic parking. and driving aids, therefore the adaptive cruise control.

Contacted, the brand confirms that this situation is indeed temporary, and that it is a special series bringing together what customers are asking for the most. And for those who would like another version, either with the small 45 kWh battery or with the large 77 kWh battery, VW states that a few models are still available in stock in the network. (author comment - meaning if you have an order for a 45 or 77kW version which is not already in production...then what?)

Nearly €45,000The Volkswagen ID.3, in its Active version, starts at €44,680. It is therefore just below the threshold to benefit from the maximum (French) ecological bonus, still at €6,000 until July 2022. As a reminder, the entry-level German electric was provided by the Pro version (battery 58 kWh, 145 hp motor), displayed at €39,300, since the temporary shutdown of the small 45 kWh battery in January 2022.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

VW UK are currently offering an enhanced Life spec in Pro pertformance/58kWh only for new orders, so they're doing the same thing as the French subsidiary. They are still apparently going to fulfill existing orders to original spec.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:32 am VW UK are currently offering an enhanced Life spec in Pro pertformance/58kWh only for new orders, so they're doing the same thing as the French subsidiary. They are still apparently going to fulfill existing orders to original spec.
I suspect part of the plan from VW is that customers with discontinued specifications will either change their orders to what is now being manufactured or drift away.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
ytshome

Post by ytshome »

The big take away for me is that we have a Tory PM in this country spouting every green message that is out there and putting green taxes everywhere that only assists big business and the wealthy and then gives the most stingy incentives for buying an EV in the Western world. Doh!
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:32 am VW UK are currently offering an enhanced Life spec in Pro pertformance/58kWh only for new orders, so they're doing the same thing as the French subsidiary. They are still apparently going to fulfill existing orders to original spec.
Just small correction, this is nothing to do with VW France subsidiary, this was a discussion direct with the VW factory.

Fulfill existing orders in original spec? Based on the article and other posts on the site, I have doubts.
They may fulfill them, but the question is when?
Certainly for the UK and Ireland, it will not be helped by having a RHD version.

According to the local VW garage, for those specifications ‘temporarily suspended’ unless the car was already in the production queue, production dates will just get pushed out further.
It is also probably the usual supply and demand game… when demand exceeds supply, manufacturers often focus on the products that make the best margin…Also having too many variants is well known to soak up manufacturing capacity. Hence the ‘limit’ the range activity.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
Turquoise

Post by Turquoise »

Smitten wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:07 am
I suspect part of the plan from VW is that customers with discontinued specifications will either change their orders to what is now being manufactured or drift away.
If that's the plan then I wish they'd just come clean about it. I'll take the spec on offer if the original price is honoured and it will arrive this year, but if not that I want to join the queue elsewhere...
Family PP (Turquoise with East Derry alloys)
Ordered Oct '21 (Tusker/Marshall Fleet)
Built '22 wk33, delivered wk41

Zappi 7kW Black tethered
4.5kWp solar with 7.5kWh battery

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-sun-45
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

duckworthsj wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:52 pm
Just small correction, this is nothing to do with VW France subsidiary, this was a discussion direct with the VW factory.

Fulfill existing orders in original spec? Based on the article and other posts on the site, I have doubts.
They may fulfill them, but the question is when?
Certainly for the UK and Ireland, it will not be helped by having a RHD version.

According to the local VW garage, for those specifications ‘temporarily suspended’ unless the car was already in the production queue, production dates will just get pushed out further.
It is also probably the usual supply and demand game… when demand exceeds supply, manufacturers often focus on the products that make the best margin…Also having too many variants is well known to soak up manufacturing capacity. Hence the ‘limit’ the range activity.

Wow didn't realise we'd already reached that level of pedanticism. I don't think that comment in anyway suggested the UK was copying the French subsidiary however they are doing the same thing as dictated by VW Head office, I suspect the factory had nothing to do with the actual decision.

And to add another correction it is not according to your local VW garage that specifications are 'temporarily suspended' , that also came from VW Head Office.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

This is all as clear as mud!
I had an email update from my dealership on my Life Pro Perf today and their understanding is that all newly built Life models will be to the new upgraded specs, seats and interior finish, charger module? Etc. They then qualified that by saying ....but who know, things with VW are all up in the air at the moment. 😆
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
baguette

Post by baguette »

The version of the announcement we received in Finland said, in Finnish of course, "The goal is to deliver all current customer orders by the end of 2022."