ID3 software v2.4 and 3.x

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Lots of, what appear to be informed, posts on German forums about new ID3 software updates being announced on Monday 21st March.

Firstly, a dealer recall and (probably full day) installation for software v2.4 to support the replacement of batteries and some control units, more so on 1st editions ans to enable coming OTA updates.
Then OTA update for v3.1 (3.0 not being released now) to provide winter range and functional enhancements and bug fixes.

I guess the likes of YouTuber Batterylife have videos ready to drop on Monday or soon after….
We’ll see!
Last edited by OB1CCFC on Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Battery Life said he is going to release some news at 00.01am in the morning.
I mean I want to find out what's coming, but not that much! :D
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

sidehaas wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:11 am Battery Life said he is going to release some news at 00.01am in the morning.
I mean I want to find out what's coming, but not that much! :D
he says 12.01pm , isn't that 1 minute after midday?
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

The way he wrote it, I'm pretty sure he has just misunderstood how to convert to the 12 hour clock. Sunday/Monday 00:01 CET is pretty unambiguous.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Good to hear some update news.
The Germans were also mentioning that the controller updates should improve OTA performance in terms of connectivity….
Let’s hope so.
davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

Holding breath... 30-odd mins to go...

71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
bupkis

Post by bupkis »

He said (but didn't seem too sure) that all ID.3s, including MY22 cars produced since July, will need to go to the dealer to have update 2.4 installed. Cars produced before July 2021 will also need a new 12v battery.

This is not good news. It will take them ages to get through all the cars. If we're lucky, we'll see update 3.0 in 2023 (that's my view, not BL's).
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Was it worth waiting for? I think not as once again vague timescales. Knowing VW it will get pushed back.
To a gegree we already knew what was coming so now we wait to be called from our dealers. Oh joy.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

It was usedul to find out for sure whether my car will need 2.4 anyway (all cars will.) I thought he was pretty clear about that, having previously got it wrong.

I'm a bit surprised he said dealers will contact us, as the leaked VW website page a week ago said the opposite. I guess we'll find that out in the official communications. Maybe that was an assumption on his part.

For anyone know doesn't want to watch, 2.4 is to be delivered via a dealer in Q2, some cars will also need the new battery but not all, and the 2.4 upgrades should (as well as enabling 3.0 OTA) include:
- changing when a cold car heats the battery so it happens in steps (as cars built with 2.3 seemingly already have)
- allowing the car to heat the battery when plugged in (wasn't clear to me whether you can prompt this yourself though so I assume not?)
- upgrading peak charging power to 120kW for 58kWh cars (again, cars built with 2.3 already have this)
- fixing the charge timer functions

This came from a VW event the other week so is presumably reliable information. Info on 3.0 over the next couple of days.

Also - as an engineer I thought this interesting - apparently the 12V battery change is because usage data has shown VW that they had significantly underestimated the number of charge/discharge cycles users would put it through, so they speced a battery with insufficient lifetime and now need to upgrade it. I wonder what it was they got wrong about predicted usage during the design phase?
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Would be nice to have more clarity on the battery heating in ‘steps’. What instigates heating to the next step? What is the expected range enhancement??
Also nothing really said about the content of v3.x.
All in all the BL YouTube was a bit of a party pooper.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:05 am It was usedul to find out for sure whether my car will need 2.4 anyway (all cars will.) I thought he was pretty clear about that, having previously got it wrong.

I'm a bit surprised he said dealers will contact us, as the leaked VW website page a week ago said the opposite. I guess we'll find that out in the official communications. Maybe that was an assumption on his part.

For anyone know doesn't want to watch, 2.4 is to be delivered via a dealer in Q2, some cars will also need the new battery but not all, and the 2.4 upgrades should (as well as enabling 3.0 OTA) include:
- changing when a cold car heats the battery so it happens in steps (as cars built with 2.3 seemingly already have)
- allowing the car to heat the battery when plugged in (wasn't clear to me whether you can prompt this yourself though so I assume not?)
- upgrading peak charging power to 120kW for 58kWh cars (again, cars built with 2.3 already have this)
- fixing the charge timer functions

This came from a VW event the other week so is presumably reliable information. Info on 3.0 over the next couple of days.

Also - as an engineer I thought this interesting - apparently the 12V battery change is because usage data has shown VW that they had significantly underestimated the number of charge/discharge cycles users would put it through, so they speced a battery with insufficient lifetime and now need to upgrade it. I wonder what it was they got wrong about predicted usage during the design phase?
For the 12v battery - pre 2.1 sw it seemed as if VW had set the ‘when to charge’ lower limit too low so it went though too many close to fully discharged cycles (that gel batteries don’t like).
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

OB1CCFC wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:14 am Would be nice to have more clarity on the battery heating in ‘steps’. What instigates heating to the next step? What is the expected range enhancement??
Also nothing really said about the content of v3.x.
All in all the BL YouTube was a bit of a party pooper.
3.x info is apparently coming over the next couple of days, he wants to get 4 videos out of it.
Re: the steps, I guess this might be something VW wants to protect rather than publicise if they have come up with a solution that took effort to optimise. If it the same as for those cars built with 2.3 (which BL said it was) then I can confirm from experience that short 20-30mph trips do not cause the heater to initiate at all and you can get very good consumption. However I couldn't say when it does trip on - whether it's triggered by time, distance travelled or perhaps peak power used. My middle and long run consumption is very middling when compared to what I see other ID3 drivers report so I don't think you are going to see any real improvement there.
DickieBoy

Post by DickieBoy »

It was good to find out that actually some important (maybe the most important) updates are coming with 2.4 and it's not just an update to allow 3.0 to be installed which is what I previously got the impression it would be.
Family Pro owner (Sept 22)
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

It does seem that 2.4 has more functional changes than first thought. Then again we won’t see many benefits until next winter now…
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

DickieBoy wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:51 am It was good to find out that actually some important (maybe the most important) updates are coming with 2.4 and it's not just an update to allow 3.0 to be installed which is what I previously got the impression it would be.

I tend to view it as a damning admission from VW that they need to recall the entire fleet to fix their OTA software issues 😂 Both our perspectives may well be true 😂
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Utumno wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:16 pm
DickieBoy wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:51 am It was good to find out that actually some important (maybe the most important) updates are coming with 2.4 and it's not just an update to allow 3.0 to be installed which is what I previously got the impression it would be.

I tend to view it as a damning admission from VW that they need to recall the entire fleet to fix their OTA software issues 😂 Both our perspectives may well be true 😂
Utter nonsense, I think you'll find that "Volkswagen is forging ahead with its transformation to a software-oriented mobility provider – and is becoming an expert in software integration and over-the-air updates. "
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:36 pm
Utumno wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:16 pm

Utter nonsense, I think you'll find that "Volkswagen is forging ahead with its transformation to a software-oriented mobility provider – and is becoming an expert in software integration and over-the-air updates. "
That link was terrible wasn't it. I've rarely seen an article so suitable for playing 'bullshit bingo'. I wonder if the fact it's a translation of a German script (I assume) results in it being worse?

Back on topic, Chris (BL) has issued a correction that apparently the increased DC charging speed with older 58kwh cars will come with 3.0, not 2.4. I guess this is immaterial unless you are lucky enough to see 100kw regularly anyway...
Never again

Post by Never again »

My ID3 (3 months old) went into VW last week as air con not worked since day it arrived. First they thought hadn't been gassed then realised there was a leak. A day later they fix it when part arrives. They told me when booked it in that it had a recall softeware update to do and they would do it on the same day. That was last Thursday. Due to air con issue didn't get the software update started till Friday. Ring on Friday, what time can I pick up my car? Software update not finished so you cant have it back once started till its done. So I can pick it up tomorrow (Saturday) yes? Well no we dont work Saturdays or Sundays so we wont be finishing it till Monday. Now an hour till they close and its still not finished, they have now had my car for 5 days and looks like we are going into the 6th.....I will never again by a VW.....The fact the quality control is so poor they let a car out of the factory with damaged parts on is bad enough but the customer service is shocking. Clearly learnt nothing from emissions scandal as this is NOT building back trust in the brand.
RollingJ

Post by RollingJ »

I received email from VW this morning inviting me to book in for battery replacement and software update.
Phoned my service department who told me that they are currently doing experimental updates to unassigned ID.3s and ID.4s and will contact owners when they are happy with the process!
They are having teething problems with the software update.
You'd have thought this step might have been done already but there you go.