Concerns about the sound system

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

Hi everyone

I'm a new iD3 owner and already have the car booked in to address the problem I am having with the sound coming from the speakers. It sounds as though it is not tuned in (in the olden days, I would have been fine tuning the am/fm dial) or as if the speakers are blown. I have tried this out on both radio and iPhone, with various styles of music, speech and it is constantly there. It is, in its current state, unbearable. It is also apparent whe parked and when driving.

Has anyone else had this problem? There are some online comments about the low quality of the sound system in the iD3 but this is beyond low quality - it is broken.

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

HI.
The usual concern is over the lack of rear speakers, and that (IMO) then clouds other comments around the quality of the system. I find the sound quality quite acceptable for it's purpose but then I also believe in car entertainment is there to cover up the other noises of driving.
Radio? Are you using DAB or FM.. I haven't tried anything other than DAB but it's very clear normally.
Iphone? Is this over Carplay and what quality is the media. I found a huge difference when I switched from Spotify streamed media to something with a higher bitrate.

To be honest if it's always there I would suggest that it should be reported to the dealer.
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

I'm using DAB.

Iphone? Is this over Carplay and what quality is the media. - - I confess it is not my iPhone and I am not sure about Carplay or the media? just straight through the car infotainment system IFAIK.

Thank you for your response - it is booked in in a couple of weeks time for this to be checked over. I reported it the day after I bought it.
Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

Have you tried doing an infotainment system restart ? Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. It may help.
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

No, but I will try that. Any further instructions on the restart? Will it reset all the other parts of the car system?
Jimmyinit

Post by Jimmyinit »

No it will just restart the infotainment system a bit like a PC being forced restart when it is not doing as it should, I doubt it will change anything it does sound like you have a hardware issue to be fair (sorry if that is bad news but it does happen).
24.12.21 Car on my drive delivered - - Tour Stonewash Blue with Heat pump
V3 Software updated 12-14 Nov 2022
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

I tried that - radio on, pressed the off botton and held as suggested - no change.

I think that, as suggested, it is a deeper issue than that. I just hope they will acknowledge and sort it out.

Thanks for the input.
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

A brief update on this - my iD3 has gone in for this to be checked out. I insisted that a technician came and sat in the car with me to listen and he absolutely agreed that there is a problem. I just hope that it can be fixed.

I've been loaned another iD3 in which the sound quality is right. Which just confirms my concerns.

(I nearly left my typo just there - iD£ - it works for me)
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

That's good they've taken it seriously. With this car you certainly notice anything "off" sound wise. We were going crazy with creaking in the back and the noticed the rear seat belt was trapped in the seat. Would never have noticed in an ICE
shabbyroad

Post by shabbyroad »

If it has that phasing effect as if a radio is slightly off tune then it could be something as simple as the speakers being out of phase (+ and - terminals swapped on one of the speakers) or a short across the stereo which is folding it to mono.

Sounds like they'll fix it which is good news.

As an audio geek I'm curious to learn what they tell you the fault is.
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

shabbyroad wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:44 pm If it has that phasing effect as if a radio is slightly off tune then it could be something as simple as the speakers being out of phase (+ and - terminals swapped on one of the speakers) or a short across the stereo which is folding it to mono.

Sounds like they'll fix it which is good news.

As an audio geek I'm curious to learn what they tell you the fault is.
That's useful to offer if they come back and say they can't fix it, Shabby. I was relieved to sit in the car with someone who acknowledged that there was a problem. I didn't want them to come back and say they could hear nothing wrong.
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

I'm picking it up this afternoon to await the arrival of a new speaker at some point. I will also mention the phasing described above.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Sheps wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:42 pm I'm picking it up this afternoon to await the arrival of a new speaker at some point. I will also mention the phasing described above.
I would have thought it unlikely that the speakers were wired incorrectly as I doubt the plug fits any way other than the correct one, and phasing due to reversed speaker wires doesn't give the effect you describe it mainly just reduces the bass impact.
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

G43FAN wrote:
Sheps wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:42 pm I'm picking it up this afternoon to await the arrival of a new speaker at some point. I will also mention the phasing described above.
I would have thought it unlikely that the speakers were wired incorrectly as I doubt the plug fits any way other than the correct one, and phasing due to reversed speaker wires doesn't give the effect you describe it mainly just reduces the bass impact.
I'm not sufficiently techy to know about phasing and its causes and cures - apparently, the speaker is just slotted in so it doesn't sound as though there is much chance for wiring mistakes.

The sound on the loan iD3 I had was ok. It should be an easy fix.