Octopus Go + Ohme

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
am0

Post by am0 »

Hi all

Some advice please on charging.

Ohme home pro charger currently charging about 100 miles to the id3. Set up for Octupus Go 12.30 - 04.30 off peak tariff.

What are other people's experiences with charge amount?

TIA

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Sounds about right - approx 50% or so in 4 hours. It'll go up a bit in summer as your car's efficiency improves with temperature.

For any 32A-rated home charger the maximum charge power will be somewhere between 6.5 kW and 8 kW depending on the current and voltage provided by your specific house's electrical supply. Multiply that figure by 4 and you will get the amount of energy in kWh that can be charged in a four-hour period. The ID3's total battery capacity assuming no degradation is 58 kWh, so you can work out the percentage.

For example if you get 7.2kW, then you can add 28.8 kWh in a 4 hour period, which is very slightly under 50% of your battery. Depending on the total range prediction of your car, which is based on your recent driving, this could be anything from 80 to 130 miles. 100 is in the right ballpark.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

I think we can rule out having or not having a CT clamp makes any kind of difference as yesterday we had a second Ohme installed in prep for my my wifes pending order of a Kona EV.
I charged my car exactly like I did the night before. The night before using the older charger was a successful charge, last night on the new charger it was an unsuccessful charge. Usual message "car charging slower than expected"
The old charger does not have a CT clamp but the new charger does.
I'm still leaning towards that its an issue with the car.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Yep, 100 miles in the four hour window is spot on. We have a similar setup, albeit with an Ohme go, and I always work on being able to get 100 miles of charge each night. As above, the actual range will depend on what sort of efficiency you're getting.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Kelloggs

Post by Kelloggs »

Same here on original ohme wall mount 4 hr charge gives @50% still on 5p/kwhr
id3 life performance pro heat pump, turquoise,black.
share.octopus.energy/witty-hawk-404
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Newfie wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:12 am I think we can rule out having or not having a CT clamp makes any kind of difference as yesterday we had a second Ohme installed in prep for my my wifes pending order of a Kona EV.
I charged my car exactly like I did the night before. The night before using the older charger was a successful charge, last night on the new charger it was an unsuccessful charge. Usual message "car charging slower than expected"
The old charger does not have a CT clamp but the new charger does.
I'm still leaning towards that its an issue with the car.
It seems we are cursed somehow. Mine was back to its old tricks again the other night I think. I woke up in the night, checked the app, it was charging at 3.7kW. I paused and resumed as usual and it went 7.4kW immediately afterwards. It went over the target though and 20 minutes into peak rate despite the target being 04:30am. I just don’t understand it. I’m loving the car but charging it is a menace!

I now think a suggestion earlier on is probably right; Some of the more recent ID3s have an issue with this.

I have contacted my dealer about it and they were really good about it and offered to book it in etc. The problem is they suggested what they would try to diagnose it and it would pass. Intermittent faults are a bloody nightmare. I’m sort of on the other end of this sort of thing in my job and the default position is operator error.

I think I’m going to wait for v3 software to come out and if it’s still being an arse I’ll take it into the dealer. It’s probably something stupid like having the new 12v battey and version 2.3 software that will go away with 2.4 or 3.0
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Hmmm… last night it worked again. Very odd!
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I have also joined you guys in having intermittent problems now. It worked reliably for 6 weeks or so before they introduced the update to allow API connection so, even though I haven't re registered my car with Ohme to use the API, I'm inclined to think the problem is one of integration with the car system due to an update on the Ohme app. No real idea though.

Mine also worked correctly at the rate Ohme scheduled last night - although the charge rate it used was variable, it did go up to 7kw when Ohme wanted it to and it finished by 0430. The previous time a few days ago I was doing a 50% charge and it only managed 4kw the whole time, so the schedule was delayed and it did 3 hours charging at peak rate.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.