V2.4 Software VW announcement

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

(I think) VW in Lithuania has just published the first official details of the 2.4 software ‘recall’.
Here (if the link works!) use Google translate to read—>

https://www.volkswagen.lt/lt/electric-v ... e-2-4.html
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.

hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

Here's the Google translation:
Another Volkswagen ID. update - ID. software version 2.4 - and a 12-volt battery replacement is now available for your Volkswagen ID. in the car.

Make sure to include your ID. the car is equipped with the latest software, and enjoy all the benefits of a new 12-volt battery - plan a visit to a service center directly with your Volkswagen dealer.

Provide your ID. Go to the service center and use all the IDs. Software 2.4 upgrade and new 12 volt battery benefits.
The 12 volt battery fort he VW ID.

What work is done in the maintenance center?

We are in your ID. we will install a new 12-volt battery with more advanced technology. Due to the lower internal resistance and better electrolyte performance, this battery is even more durable and long lasting.

What is included in the ID. software 2.4?

New ID. software version 2.4 provides optimized heat management, which can reduce energy consumption at low ambient temperatures and prolong your ID. distance traveled.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
TimF

Post by TimF »

hungerdunger wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:03 pm Here's the Google translation:

We are in your ID. we will install a new 12-volt battery with more advanced technology. Due to the lower internal resistance and better electrolyte performance, this battery is even more durable and long lasting.

Being a cynic, I translate that as "this battery is less fragile and its capacity is not quite so inadequate". Coupled with "if it was sufficiently durable and long-lasting we wouldn't touch it".
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

Fundamentally Lead acid batteries have been poor in most EV's, presumably this is why Tesla have now changed to Lithium 12 V batteries in their cars. Lead acid batteries don't like being cycled, for their best life they want to be as near fully charged as possible, This is something that works reasonably well in ICE vehicles but they're poor when used in other applications. They're not bad in un-interruptible power supplies and alarms but never last very long anywhere where there going to be regularly discharged such as a boat or caravan.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Lead acid batteries can be used for decades in environments where the load isn’t huge - and such batteries for caravans and canal boats are quite different to those in cars. Chemistry is the same but the size and configuration of the electrodes is different. Car batteries need to be able to deliver lots of amps for a short period of time then remain fairly charged.

There are some off grid energy set ups that use old submarine lead acid battery set ups! They can last for a very very long time…

I suspect VW have just reached for the parts bin - and not thought through what type of battery is needed. Anyway - fair play to them changing them.

The whole software update side of things is a shambles. I’m still waiting (6 months?) for part 2 of 2.3. Given up now and will let the dealer figure it out when it goes in for 2.4.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Just published by VW on the ID Driver's Club Facebook group:
"There is something in the air … coming soon:

ID. software 3.0 over-the-air

This was an exciting week for Volkswagen and the ID. family – as on Monday the world was officially introduced to the ex-works version of ID. software 3.0 update. While the over-the-air version of ID. software 3.0 is not yet released, we wanted to take the chance to build off this excitement and provide you with some initial information about the over-the-air update version which will be made available soon.

ID. software 3.0 ex-works and ID. software 3.0 over-the-air:
what is the difference?

While the ID. software 3.0 ex-works and the ID. software 3.0 over-the-air are both based on the same software backbone, some features will vary due to hardware dependencies: The new model year of all ID.s contains a new generation of driving assistance systems enabled by new sensors and cameras together with the use of swarm intelligence. Nevertheless, our goal is to keep your ID. up to date and bring as many features as possible “over the air” into existing cars as well. Once the testing and quality assurance processes are completed, we can start the fun part of informing you about the features and overall timeline for the 3.0 over-the-air update.

First comes a new 12-volt battery and ID. software 2.4 – then you are ready for ID. software 3.0 over-the-air

As previously communicated, you will first receive the new, technologically improved 12-volt battery and ID. software 2.4 at the workshop before your ID. can receive ID. software 3.0 over-the-air. The improved 12-volt battery provides higher performance and reliability in cold weather conditions and the latest ID. software 2.4 includes better thermal management and enables even more control units of your ID. to receive the extensive scope of features provided with ID. software 3.0 over-the-air. Owners of ID. models with an ID. software version earlier than 2.4 (so basically all of you) will be invited by their dealers to schedule an appointment at the workshop. During this appointment your ID. will receive the new 12-volt battery and be brought up to date with ID. software 2.4.

When to book an appointment to receive the new battery and ID. software 2.4?

We are expecting to have more information about this by the mid/end of April: we will have a landing page with all details prepared for you and all dealer systems ready to schedule appointments then.
Please don’t contact your dealer before for scheduling appointments – it will not be possible.

Opted-in but have not yet received ID. software 2.3?

If you are one of the few who have given their consent to receive ID. software 2.3 over-the-air but haven’t received the update yet, please contact us via DM. To speed up the analysis, please provide us with your VIN and the e-mail address where you have received the opt-in email.

Haven’t received the 2.3 opt-in email?

Sorry about that – if you haven’t received the 2.3 opt-in email at this point, it is possible your ID. has a software version earlier than 2.1 or your We Connect ID. app was not connected to your ID. or your e-mail provider has flagged the e-mail as spam. Don’t worry – you will still receive an invitation for getting the ID. software 2.4 in the workshop – even without having the ID. software 2.3 pre-installed. Your Volkswagen Partner will exchange the 12-volt battery and get your ID. up to date with ID. software 2.4.

A note on the communication order

We are very thankful and proud of this ID. community (getting bigger daily!). We have grown together and we value what this community and this platform enables. Sharing exciting news and best practices, helping to get questions answered and building in the end a community for those excited and passionate about all things around our ID. family. As you know, we work hard to keep you all up to date and informed as soon as we can about developments in the ID. world – we take your feedback seriously and we do not take your engagement for granted. Please understand, that we will always inform our dealers in great detail before this information reaches you in the club directly afterwards.
There was some feedback that the information of the ID. software 3.0 Tech Talk was not published in the club right away. Although the topic of the Talk was the ex-works software, many questions around ID. software 2.4 and the over-the-air version of ID. software 3.0 came up in the interviews and first answers were given. For upcoming events we will find ways to share this type of information earlier with you.
If you have any further questions, please let us know in the comment section below."
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

For many ID3 owners 2.4 and 3.x will probably only bring 2 noticeable changes. The SOC displayed on the binnacle screen and some short journey efficiency gains next winter (I know quite a few are also waiting for schedules charging to be sorted, not me).
The efficiency gain will be nice when it finally arrives and becomes relevant but I suspect the level of flim flam and nonsense getting these updates in place is going to be something to behold…
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Is Facebook the only place VW publish this type of notice? Personally I hate Facebook and I’m no Luddite. I would have thought they could publish it on our VW accounts? Or is that too logical?
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Scratch wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:06 pm Is Facebook the only place VW publish this type of notice? Personally I hate Facebook and I’m no Luddite. I would have thought they could publish it on our VW accounts? Or is that too logical?

Too logical. Anything Facebook can get in the sea from my perspective.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

I also am a FB hater but I had to join it so as to get on another forum I was interested in, but i have no details about myself on it at all, I've shut down all the notifications so my phone is not going off every few seconds but now I can read the VW ID.3 UK Owners club page which is handy.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Pinched from here or maybe FB or somewhere but.. "Some companies release monthly software updates, VW releases monthly updates about it's upcoming software updates."

Thankfully I can manage to not need the many broken parts of this car, the efficiency and cold weather improvements would be nice but for me not essential which is just as well as I expect I will be moving the car on before any of these updates reach and frankly I wouldn't be surprised to never see 3.x on cars manufactured prior to 2022.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:42 am Pinched from here or maybe FB or somewhere but.. "Some companies release monthly software updates, VW releases monthly updates about it's upcoming software updates."

I could get on my soapbox about this, but suffice to say that VW is handling software releases in the most arse-backward fashion and as a result generating negative perceptions they will not be able to erase until they fundamentally alter their update messaging strategy.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203