D mode B mode and the motorway

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

Sorry if this sounds like a daft question-will driving in D-Mode improve the range of the car over B mode ? anyone noticed or knows?

I've done both, I'm not led footed and I can't honestly tell whether it does or not, but if driving without regen on does make a difference I'd rather be doing it if that makes sense.

thank

BB

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

billybobb2019 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:20 am Sorry if this sounds like a daft question-will driving in D-Mode improve the range of the car over B mode ? anyone noticed or knows?

I've done both, I'm not led footed and I can't honestly tell whether it does or not, but if driving without regen on does make a difference I'd rather be doing it if that makes sense.

thank

BB
If you drive the same way in B or D mode, B mode isn't any more efficient, both give equal levels of regen, the way you initiate it is the only change. In B mode you lift off the accelerator and D mode you use the brake pedal to initiate up to 0.25g of deceleration.

Some people think that if you're not regenning, you're less efficient. The key message is - If you're not wasting energy, there's nothing for regen to recover. Sat on the motorway at a constant speed is a fine example of that.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

The ID3 basically has 3 settings around regen. D mode with eco assist (‘intelligent regen’), D mode without eco assist (‘coasting’) and B mode with preset regen level on lifting the accelerator.
The VW manual suggests using D mode on motorway and B mode around town.
But after 18 months ‘in the field’ with many people testing pretty much everything, I’m yet to see anyone suggest any particular setting is more efficient on the motorway.
So I’d do whatever fits your driving style and feels most comfortable. I now tend to use D mode under cruise control (and Comfort setting to make the Cruise control more responsive to real world traffic).
I tend to slip it into B mode when coming off the motorway.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I used to dislike D mode - but its now my new favourite!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:37 pm I used to dislike D mode - but its now my new favourite!
I used to dislike B mode...and I still do!
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

OB1CCFC wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:24 pm The ID3 basically has 3 settings around regen. D mode with eco assist (‘intelligent regen’), D mode without eco assist (‘coasting’) and B mode with preset regen level on lifting the accelerator.
The VW manual suggests using D mode on motorway and B mode around town.
But after 18 months ‘in the field’ with many people testing pretty much everything, I’m yet to see anyone suggest any particular setting is more efficient on the motorway.
So I’d do whatever fits your driving style and feels most comfortable. I now tend to use D mode under cruise control (and Comfort setting to make the Cruise control more responsive to real world traffic).
I tend to slip it into B mode when coming off the motorway.
thanks everyone !

interesting stuff- ive been doing the same as OB1CCFC - D and cruise and travel assist on the mway and B as I come off the junction but this AM I went to MCR airport from 'up north - is 54 miles aon sat nav but used 90 in range and I thought was it because i was manaually driving and in B - remembered just as I came to the junction home put it in D and its used 40 odd in range but then i had divested 2 adults plus a case

I do prefer B if im honest i like the predictability of it - i find the ID3 brakes a bit meh!

BB
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I don't even associate the two modes with regen, it's more about whether you want the car to stop as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator or coast.
As for the brakes, if you have to stop the discs work fine but anything below 0.25g (as stated above) your only using regen mode and it's not the same as direct physical braking.

I gave up with B initially hated it but it was a new car, I tried again about 6 months ago and guess what.. Yeah Hated it, D all the time.
the.kes

Post by the.kes »

MotMot wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:37 pm I used to dislike D mode - but its now my new favourite!
I'd love to have a choice of what to be my favourite, the luxury of having options that are tangible rather than in an electronic brochure!!!
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

I prefer B on all trips except motorway, because I have got used to the 'one-pedal' driving. It is like a 'volume control' . With anticipation I hardly ever need to touch the brake pedal.
As others have said, on the motorway, it probably doesn't make a difference on range. On twisty / hilly roads I believe it does make a positive difference.
There are some arguments that using B mode with auto cruise control on the motorway, is actually worse. Also I find with this setting, the reaction to 'seeing' a car in front, results in too much braking and then re-accelerating.
In fact, comparing the 2 EVs we have, I prefer the more aggressive regeneration braking of the Mini. When I drive my wife's VW, I have to get used to the lower level of regen braking.
When my wife drives my car, she doesn't like the braking, but hasn't 'discovered' the switch to turn it off ;-)
Each to his own.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
Chivers

Post by Chivers »

[/quote]
The key message is - If you're not wasting energy, there's nothing for regen to recover. Sat on the motorway at a constant speed is a fine example of that.
[/quote]

All these answers show us why VW gave us a choice between D and B - so everyone can choose for themselves. As usual I agree with monkeyhanger - but my reasoning is different. As a teenager I used my bicycle to go to school. I'd let the bike coast down hills as fast as it wanted and - hopefully - get up the next hill with minimum effort. So my speed went up and down to save my energy. What was good for my legs ought to be good for my car. When I drive our ID3 on D the car does the same.

A side effect is that the slight jerk I feel when the car in B goes over the top of a hill and starts to regenerate does not hap[pen when I am in D gear.
ID.3 Family 150kw, built 11/2020.
v2.4 in Apr. 2023. . .
Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale »

over a long time driving ev and hybrid i learned that b mode really you can think of as changing down a gear, or in a convential auto then using the 1, 2 and 3 gears. You know like decending steep hills, areas where in a manual you would use engine braking. The car isnt going to "not regen" just because you are not in B mode, its just you activate it differently by pressing lightly on the brake pedal. B mode is really for those circumstances. The ID.3 does not have a single pedal mode (such as nissans e-pedal) which is different to B-mode, but in general on a motorway as there is nothing as such to regen, you are better of gliding and using D.
ID3 Tour, Heat pump, sports pack, moonstone grey
ordered 24/01/22
Arrived: 05/05/23
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

I really must practise driving in D then, ready for motorway driving.

It all makes sense and I can imagine it being a little disconcerting to drive behind someone who's every minor speed adjustment causes a flash of brake lights

When I have inadvertently selected D rather than my usual B, it is a quite different driving feel.
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

I’m pretty sure the brake lights don’t show until a certain level of retardation (g’s) is reached. So if you are just feathering the accelerator pedal in B mode, you won’t be flashing your brake lights at everyone behind you, causing panic!
Family Pro Performance. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry alloys.
Ordered 16/9/21
Delivered 31/3/22
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

Unfortunately, I've never driven behind myself so I have no idea what effect different B driving has! I plan to get someone to follow me at some point and can talk to them on the phone, so I know. Unless someone else has done this experiment already and can report back.
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

I’m told there’s a g sensor for the Brake lights and they are activated depending on the level of deceleration . Understand VW recommend B for city driving and D for motorway. Ps mine still on order-source is the uk id3 Facebook page.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Chivers wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:45 pm
"All these answers show us why VW gave us a choice between D and B - so everyone can choose for themselves. As usual I agree with monkeyhanger - but my reasoning is different. As a teenager I used my bicycle to go to school. I'd let the bike coast down hills as fast as it wanted and - hopefully - get up the next hill with minimum effort. So my speed went up and down to save my energy. What was good for my legs ought to be good for my car. When I drive our ID3 on D the car does the same."

In D, if I'm going down hill and I lift off my car maintains the speed I was travelling at before lifting and applies a bit of regen to maintain speed.
To be clear that is without ACC. At first I thought I must have another setting engaged but have checked several times on a particular stretch of road. So mine doesn't afford me the "bike method"
I'm sure I don't have any assists on and without ACC on It doesn't brake for speed limits. It only does what I said going downhill.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

I followed my wife driving our ID3 and it seems the brake lights only come on when you pretty much completely lift off in B. Obviously if you maintain the B braking effect off and on around that point you can get some brake light ‘flickering ’.
On the motorway I drive cruise control in D as much as possible (on Comfort mode to make it peppy enough). The ACC works pretty well.
Tbh I still don’t like the ID3 brakes that much and will sometimes slip it into B in busy fast traffic to help cover the risk of a harder braking incident (or it feels safer anyhows). .
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
TimF

Post by TimF »

My driving habit has always been to use engine braking, so I find B mode means the car responds to right-pedal pressure/release in a familiar way. But I'm sure some people find that behaviour disconcerting.
FrankNicklin

Post by FrankNicklin »

Just seen this thread after posting my own comment. I followed a 22 plate ID.3 today on a duel carriageway and the brake lights were a complete distraction. They where on off on off constantly as I presume the driver was adjusting the throttle, either that or he was left foot braking. I felt unsafe behind the car even with an acceptable braking distance as inevitably you respond to the brake lights in front of you.
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I’ve noticed that D mode on the motorway has a sort of ACC effect. If there’s no car in front, it’ll coast maintaining the speed/reduce very gradually. However, if there’s a car in front, the regen increases quite significantly and a set distance is maintained with the one in front.

I found that really cool, it does it at lower speeds too but it’s not as noticeable. Not sure if it’s a setting in the face lift car but it negates the need for B mode (on the motorway at least).