Climate & miles efficiency

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Post Reply
MattP
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:47 pm

Post by MattP » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:53 pm

Bit of an odd one that someone can explain I’m sure. I was driving home from work with the climate all switched off. I then switched it on to low only, just hitting the front screen.
The range then increased by 25 miles.
Why would having everything switched off decrease range?
Many thanks
Octopus referral

https://share.octopus.energy/plum-mouse-3910

User avatar
Daveion
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:24 am
Location: South Essex RM15

Post by Daveion » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:16 pm

Not sure about what you have said.
The figure the range was showing with everything off increased when climate was switched on?
If that is what you observed you would need more information to determine the change.
Normal change is a decrease in range when you engage climate but after a couple of glasses of wine this evening I would suggest human error.
My apologies, been a long day 🙃
Life Pro Perf 2020 Grey, sold June 21st 22
Life Pro Performance in Glacier White ordered Sept 9th 21 31471xxx
Can't live with the uncertainty of del date.
Born v2-Tech L Pack collected 22nd June.
From Stock
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.

sidehaas
Posts: 494
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:04 am

Post by sidehaas » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:20 pm

Haven't you posted this before?
Someone did the other day.
I have seen the same, turning climbing from fully off to LO increases the indicated range when it's cold outside, although I've only ever seen it make a small difference (less than 5 miles.) I don't why, if I had to guess it's probably a bug in the algorithm. The only other possibility I can think of is that when you have it turned off, it actually continues on a very low or occasional flow and heats the air a bit when it does that to avoid cooling the cabin? But I suspect this isn't it.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. OHME Home Pro charger.

User avatar
Daveion
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:24 am
Location: South Essex RM15

Post by Daveion » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:35 am

sidehaas wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:20 pm
Haven't you posted this before?
Someone did the other day.
I have seen the same, turning climbing from fully off to LO increases the indicated range when it's cold outside, although I've only ever seen it make a small difference (less than 5 miles.) I don't why, if I had to guess it's probably a bug in the algorithm. The only other possibility I can think of is that when you have it turned off, it actually continues on a very low or occasional flow and heats the air a bit when it does that to avoid cooling the cabin? But I suspect this isn't it.
I think this may be different to the first post? Not sure.
I think in LOW the fan runs but there is no heating. If you have the AC switched off and select LOW coming from a setting where the heating WAS ON I would expect the range to increase.
Life Pro Perf 2020 Grey, sold June 21st 22
Life Pro Performance in Glacier White ordered Sept 9th 21 31471xxx
Can't live with the uncertainty of del date.
Born v2-Tech L Pack collected 22nd June.
From Stock
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.

OB1CCFC
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:38 am

Post by OB1CCFC » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:51 am

Daveion wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:35 am
sidehaas wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:20 pm
Haven't you posted this before?
Someone did the other day.
I have seen the same, turning climbing from fully off to LO increases the indicated range when it's cold outside, although I've only ever seen it make a small difference (less than 5 miles.) I don't why, if I had to guess it's probably a bug in the algorithm. The only other possibility I can think of is that when you have it turned off, it actually continues on a very low or occasional flow and heats the air a bit when it does that to avoid cooling the cabin? But I suspect this isn't it.
I think this may be different to the first post? Not sure.
I think in LOW the fan runs but there is no heating. If you have the AC switched off and select LOW coming from a setting where the heating WAS ON I would expect the range to increase.
Hi. What do you mean by ‘LOW’??
ID3 1st Edition in glacier white. Wallbox charger. Octopus Go when the smart meter works (not often).

User avatar
Daveion
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:24 am
Location: South Essex RM15

Post by Daveion » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:01 pm

When you drop below 16C it displays LO.
(I thought it was LOW)
In that setting, if its like an ICE:-
The fan runs
No heating
AC would run continuously if enabled.

20220406_125608.jpg

Life Pro Perf 2020 Grey, sold June 21st 22
Life Pro Performance in Glacier White ordered Sept 9th 21 31471xxx
Can't live with the uncertainty of del date.
Born v2-Tech L Pack collected 22nd June.
From Stock
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.

sidehaas
Posts: 494
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:04 am

Post by sidehaas » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:02 pm

Daveion wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:35 am
sidehaas wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:20 pm
Haven't you posted this before?
Someone did the other day.
I have seen the same, turning climbing from fully off to LO increases the indicated range when it's cold outside, although I've only ever seen it make a small difference (less than 5 miles.) I don't why, if I had to guess it's probably a bug in the algorithm. The only other possibility I can think of is that when you have it turned off, it actually continues on a very low or occasional flow and heats the air a bit when it does that to avoid cooling the cabin? But I suspect this isn't it.
I think this may be different to the first post? Not sure.
I think in LOW the fan runs but there is no heating. If you have the AC switched off and select LOW coming from a setting where the heating WAS ON I would expect the range to increase.
No - similar to the OP. When I say fully off I mean the entire climate system, not just AC. So theoretically no heater, no AC, no fan. If you then turn it on and set the temperature to LO with everything else on auto control, if it is cold outside (presumably cold enough that AC stays off), the indicated range goes up.
It's just a bit weird but not significant.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. OHME Home Pro charger.

OB1CCFC
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:38 am

Post by OB1CCFC » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:24 pm

Ok I thought ‘Lo’ was the minimum temperature you could set, seeing it’s on the temp setting control.
I should read the manual occasionally I guess🥹
ID3 1st Edition in glacier white. Wallbox charger. Octopus Go when the smart meter works (not often).

Sturdy2
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:00 pm

Post by Sturdy2 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:18 pm

When I plug in the charger the cooling fan comes on

MotMot
Posts: 790
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:04 pm

Post by MotMot » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:50 pm

That happens when it’s - err - hot 😁

TimF
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:41 am

Post by TimF » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:24 am

Sturdy2 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:18 pm
When I plug in the charger the cooling fan comes on
Is that because the charge controller is also able to manage the air conditioning, including achieving a target temp at target end-of-charge time? My WeConnect app certainly does that, overriding whatever I might have set in the car. WeConnect doesn't seem to have an "Off" setting for the fan/AC.

Post Reply