VW We charge / Elli

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
am0

Post by am0 »

Hi all

Recommendations on charge points best work with We charge please?

Pod point / Volta / Genie etc.....

TIA

OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

I assume you have an active We Charge monthly subscription or a ‘free’ plan?
If you use the WeConnect ID app you can filter on WeCharge locations if you go to the ‘up arrow’ location map. You can also go to the WeCharge website and see a map https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/electri ... harge.html

In terms of charging company benefit, to me, the only clear cost benefit is with Ionity. The rest is a fuzzy mess, where the main benefit seems to be that your WeCharge RFID card works.
But I’m very happy to be corrected!
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Chivers

Post by Chivers »

I have "WeCharge Plus" because we have a [very small] house in France - 1200km from our home in UK. I think WeCharge was the right decision for us because we do not have "range anxiety."

I hummed and hawed at the high cost of the annual package compared with its very reasonable price per kWh. For our estimated use it was just - only just - less expensive to take We Charge Plus. But the HUGE advantage of Wecharge/Ionity is that in France the network of Ionity chargers we need is complete and reliable, and at each station there are at least seven chargers. When a charger was unresponsive I phoned them [English spoken] and they "rebooted" it. Because that did not get it going in the normal way they just turned it on for me for free.

At current electricity prices my Ionity's 25p per kWh is very fair, and much cheaper than the some of the other systems in France, some of which are charged by the minute. Note that 25p per kWh in an ID3 works out the same as diesel for our previous 2010 VW Touran TDi105 which got 50mpg in very gentle hands [last year].

Here in Blighty we have do some Ionity chargers, and they are good, but I doubt the EU will fund any more new ones in Brexit Britain. Everyone is making their own decision.
ID.3 Family 150kw, built 11/2020.
v2.4 in Apr. 2023. . .
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Tbh I went for a VW Charge Go solely because I’m doing a long drive to the south east of France and Black Forest on May, June. I will use Ionity as the charging ‘backbone’ and the subscription will easily pay for itself on that trip.
But I’m aware no one has said much about the prices of non-Ionity We Charge services. I’ve only tested on Osprey and didn’t see any cost benefit (unless I’m missing something).
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

OB1CCFC wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:36 am Tbh I went for a VW Charge Go solely because I’m doing a long drive to the south east of France and Black Forest on May, June. I will use Ionity as the charging ‘backbone’ and the subscription will easily pay for itself on that trip.
But I’m aware no one has said much about the prices of non-Ionity We Charge services. I’ve only tested on Osprey and didn’t see any cost benefit (unless I’m missing something).

Ooh will look forward to your reports, prior to 2020 we were regular visitors to the Black Forest but usually favoured the French roads with a hop across the border around Strasbourg. Hoping to do it again soon.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

G43FAN wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:48 am
OB1CCFC wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:36 am Tbh I went for a VW Charge Go solely because I’m doing a long drive to the south east of France and Black Forest on May, June. I will use Ionity as the charging ‘backbone’ and the subscription will easily pay for itself on that trip.

Ooh will look forward to your reports, prior to 2020 we were regular visitors to the Black Forest but usually favoured the French roads with a hop across the border around Strasbourg. Hoping to do it again soon.
We will go down via Bruges, Metz and Colmar and back via Baden Baden, the Mosel (Krov) and Ghent. 2 week trip.
We live in Yorkshire so it’ll be a good solid drive!
I have actually bought 4 charging cards but the WeCharge Ionity will do the vast majority of the work…
I’ll start a separate thread in May.
Chivers

Post by Chivers »

I hope you will enjoy your trip. The high-quality Ionity network frees me from range anxiety on autoroutes. The alternative card WE use is called "Reveo." This is focused and underwritten by regional Governments in the French departments now called "Occitanie" - from the southern Rhone to the Atlantic. This is not the area you are looking at and there is probably something similar in the areas you will be visiting. But as an example I pay Reveo 1,50€ a month [say £1.25] and then get a better rate on the Reveo's own chargers. There are some chargers in each town in the region and I pay 23 centimes [£0.20] a KWh by day and less at night for up to 22kW. Charges vary between departments, and between charger powers. But Reveo is also part of a national network that gives me access on many other systems all over France [but not at my local rate.] What's good for me is that as a backup card I can charge outside my area. Bye, by range anxiety.

Please do NOT rely only on the ID3's own map of Ionity chargers yet - listen to this voice of sad experience. I find it best to use my time at an Ionity charger to ask ABRP ["a better route planner"] to find the next Ionity charger on the way to my destination.

Do allow more time for the journey by EV. At our steady and boring 65mph our old VW Touran needed two full days to get from north Kent to near Marseille, but our ID3 [and my pensioner brain] needs two days and a half at the same speed. Why? We stop more often, find the chargers, 5mins to start the charging, go for a coffee etc, return to the car, disconnect the charger - all the same stuff we all get in GB. But those little delays add up when you do it 7-8 times going 900 miles to SE France. Please let us know your experience.
ID.3 Family 150kw, built 11/2020.
v2.4 in Apr. 2023. . .
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Thanks Chivers!
We are certainly not in any hurry and have had the car long enough to just chill into longer trips and charging needs. I always plan on 2+ Charging bays (4 if possible) with also a plan B.
My 4 cards are WeCharge (for Ionity mainly), Shell Recharge (as a general standby), Izivia (for France standby) and Maingau (for Germany standby).
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

You will have no problems with the chargers on the autoroutes, but just like the petrol they are expensive compared with 'non-autoroute', but they are reliable and well-maintained. There are also several super-markets that have chargers, most with 22KW; a few with 50KW and above. The local network of Freshmile chargers are generally not reliable. There are many complaints about the level of maintenance. There are also a number of 'free' chargers eg in the public parking in Colmar, but they are often occupied.

I live in Alsace near Colmar, (about 15 minutes from A35) if you need any help with charging locations, or any other recommendations contact me. I will happily give you my mobile number in case of need. We also have a 7KW charger in case of emergency.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

duckworthsj wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:15 am

You will have no problems with the chargers on the autoroutes, but just like the petrol they are expensive compared with 'non-autoroute', but they are reliable and well-maintained. There are also several super-markets that have chargers, most with 22KW; a few with 50KW and above. The local network of Freshmile chargers are generally not reliable. There are many complaints about the level of maintenance. There are also a number of 'free' chargers eg in the public parking in Colmar, but they are often occupied.

I live in Alsace near Colmar, (about 15 minutes from A35) if you need any help with charging locations, or any other recommendations contact me. I will happily give you my mobile number in case of need. We also have a 7KW charger in case of emergency.
Wow that is so kind thank you!!
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but does anyone know if you still get a reduced price offer for Ionity with a new ID.3?
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Big277wave wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:32 am Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but does anyone know if you still get a reduced price offer for Ionity with a new ID.3?
I did when I signed up to we charge a few weeks back. You get the lowest paid subscription free for a year.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Mo1

Post by Mo1 »

You can check current charging plans here https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/electri ... harge.html
iD3 Tour 77kWh, White 73 Plate.
Octopus energy £50 referral https://share.octopus.energy/ashen-mule-519

Octopus Juice £5 referral https://electricjuice.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=ashen-mule-519
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

Great, thanks for the information. All I need is my replacement ID.3 to arrive now.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38