Charging question..

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

So…. this might come across super dumb.

I’ve owned my ID.3 Life Pro Performance since June 2021 and every time I’ve charged at 100kw+ fast chargers I’ve never seen my car charge above 50-60kw..

I understand that I have the life model without the *heat pump* so naturally it will use more energy to heat the battery as I drive and on top of that we’re just starting to come out of winter so I understand what affect that has on the battery/charging performance.. however even at a 350kw IONITY charger I’ve never seen it hit the max 100kw, which the ID.3 allows?

Please don’t flame me, just need advice so my understanding is better! :)
Last edited by itsmeGAV on Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2021 Life Pro Performance - Manganese Grey - 19" Andoyas - Software 2.3 - SOLD July 2022.

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I wasn't aware the Life model didn't have a heater or are you referrring to the 'heat pump', either way your car doesn't, as such, use more energy to heat the battery as you drive. The battery will naturally heat up as it is discharging although the rate of discharge under normal driving doesn't heat it that much and Charging heats it more.

So to answer your question, It's not like pouring liquid into a can, there are many factors that affect charge rate but the main two are 'State of Charge' and 'Temperature' these are discussed in many threads but briefly though if you want to see the magic 100kW then you will need to address the two items below.
1. Gotten the battery nice and warm 25C plus ideally
2. You need to be down to nearly single figures for SoC.

That way you will see high input power but as SoC increases the power will reduce.
Last edited by G43FAN on Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

C1A96FAA-DB76-4F39-8D77-2B9894EA1617.jpeg

I have a life pro - got it similar time to you. I quite regularly see above 75-80kw. As above - battery needs to be warm(ish) and importantly a low SOC. It only gets max at 10-15%!I believe.

I’ve had 100 twice in summer. The photo was from rugby - in winter (sleeting)
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

@G43FAN - apologies.. yes I meant heat pump, not battery heater... doh! All of what you said would make complete sense, thank you!

@MotMot - Thank you for your input :)
2021 Life Pro Performance - Manganese Grey - 19" Andoyas - Software 2.3 - SOLD July 2022.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

FWIW the heat pump only works for the cabin heater - not for the battery heater (where it may have been more use…)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

G43FAN wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:33 am I wasn't aware the Life model didn't have a heater or are you referrring to the 'heat pump', either way your car doesn't, as such, use more energy to heat the battery as you drive. The battery will naturally heat up as it is discharging although the rate of discharge under normal driving doesn't heat it that much and Charging heats it more.
Depending on the ambient temp, the battery is used to heat the circulatory liquid which can then warm the battery. Below about 9C ambient (used to be 14C before 2.3 update). If you drive around at 2C for a journey of less than about 15 minutes, your efficiency will be around 1.5 miles per kWh for the first few miles and slowly creep up to about 2.5 miles per kWh after about 10 miles if you're doing 60-70mph. Once the battery is above 9C, it'll stop heating the circulatory liquid actively and let the discharge heat generated in moving the car heat it further. That initial active heating has a huge hit on sub 10 mile Winter journeys.

I did a 35 mile trip in 1C ambient temps that was almost all dual carriageway at 70mph on Friday morning. At 20 miles in I was only at 2.2 miles per kWh from starting lows of 1.1kWh for the first mile.
By the time I arrived at work after 35 miles, I was up at 3.2 miles per kWh. I left the cabin heating off.

In the Summer, with a morning ambient temp of 15C, that would've been a solid 3.7 miles per kWh, with a starting mile reading of at least 2.5 miles per kWh.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:19 pm
G43FAN wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:33 am I wasn't aware the Life model didn't have a heater or are you referrring to the 'heat pump', either way your car doesn't, as such, use more energy to heat the battery as you drive. The battery will naturally heat up as it is discharging although the rate of discharge under normal driving doesn't heat it that much and Charging heats it more.
Depending on the ambient temp, the battery is used to heat the circulatory liquid which can then warm the battery. Below about 9C ambient (used to be 14C before 2.3 update). If you drive around at 2C for a journey of less than about 15 minutes, your efficiency will be around 1.5 miles per kWh for the first few miles and slowly creep up to about 2.5 miles per kWh after about 10 miles if you're doing 60-70mph. Once the battery is above 9C, it'll stop heating the circulatory liquid actively and let the discharge heat generated in moving the car heat it further. That initial active heating has a huge hit on sub 10 mile Winter journeys.

I did a 35 mile trip in 1C ambient temps that was almost all dual carriageway at 70mph on Friday morning. At 20 miles in I was only at 2.2 miles per kWh from starting lows of 1.1kWh for the first mile.
By the time I arrived at work after 35 miles, I was up at 3.2 miles per kWh. I left the cabin heating off.

In the Summer, with a morning ambient temp of 15C, that would've been a solid 3.7 miles per kWh, with a starting mile reading of at least 2.5 miles per kWh.
Thanks for the education... I was replying to the OP s origianl post now edited which at the time implies the car had no battery heater.