How to charge an id3 between 0.30-4.30.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Lesley Judith

Post by Lesley Judith »

I have an id3 and have just switched energy supplies to Octopus which has a cheap rate between the hours of 0.30-4.30 am. Obviously I could stay up till after midnight and then charge my car but is there a way I can set the car to charge itself from O.30 am on its computer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

What charger do you have? The charger should have an app that allows you to schedule charging times. The ID3 can schedule internally, but it fails most of the time. Use the ID3 to determine maximum charge level (e.g. 80% routinely), use the charger app to schedule charging. My Ohme works like a charm to run 0030 to 0430 charging on Octopus GO.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Lesley Judith

Post by Lesley Judith »

Thank u Monkeyhanger. I have a podpoint charger so I don’t think I can set the time - it just starts when u plug in. Like u I have Octopus Go. I think I’ll just have to stay up late!
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
CynicMe

Post by CynicMe »

I also have a Podpoint charger and I switched to Octopus Go. I spoke to someone at Podpoint a while ago and they advised to set a timed charger on the Podpoint app for the same time each day. So I have it as Mon-Sun 00:30-04:30. I've been doing this for the past couple of months and haven't had an issue with charging. It charges in the night automatically and stops at the correct time too. The first time I did this, I stayed up to make sure it charged. Haven't had to stay up since!

If I need to do an additional charge during the day then I was told to unplug the charger, turn off the scheduled charge on the Podpoint app and then reconnect the charger. This has been working for me too (but I do try to avoid charging during the day).
21/07/21: ordered VW ID3 Life pro
10/10/21: received VW Order No: 3136xxxx
05/12/21: dealer offered someone's cancelled order - own car not built yet
23/12/21: car had arrived in the UK
29/12/21; picked up car from dealership :D
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I'm the same as Cynicme i use the Podpoint app to set the timing making sure every day has a timing slot set and it works perfectly
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:33 pm I'm the same as Cynicme i use the Podpoint app to set the timing making sure every day has a timing slot set and it works perfectly
I'm the same. Can't fault my podpoint.
Nov 16th 21 until now 100%.
No settings in car.
Everyday programmed in the app.
Occasionally I switch the schedule off to do an immediate charge.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Nick Jan

Post by Nick Jan »

I also have a Pod-Point charger. Once their app allowed scheduled charging I started to us it. However although it sometimes worked just fine, on other occasions the care didn't charge as scheduled. I then watched it and noticed the light on the plug-in connection on the car switched from white to red after a couple of minutes.

Anyone else have that problem, or know what the issue may have been?

Since then I have been reluctant to trust the scheduled charging, which is a tad inconvenient.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Nick Jan wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:59 pm I also have a Pod-Point charger. Once their app allowed scheduled charging I started to us it. However although it sometimes worked just fine, on other occasions the care didn't charge as scheduled. I then watched it and noticed the light on the plug-in connection on the car switched from white to red after a couple of minutes.

Since then I have been reluctant to trust the scheduled charging, which is a tad inconvenient.
The RED light on the car comes on following a flashing white when you are plugged in but out of the scheduled timed charge. After several minutes the RED light extinguishes.
I think that is just the car reminding you that it's plugged in but no power detected. It's nothing to worry about.
I also get a notification on the app to say "charge failed". At 1230 the charger turns power on and charging commences.
This is how my Solo works. I don't know if this is the same for other chargers but it seems logical that it would be.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Daveion wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:27 pm
Nick Jan wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:59 pm I also have a Pod-Point charger. Once their app allowed scheduled charging I started to us it. However although it sometimes worked just fine, on other occasions the care didn't charge as scheduled. I then watched it and noticed the light on the plug-in connection on the car switched from white to red after a couple of minutes.

The RED light on the car comes on following a flashing white when you are plugged in but out of the scheduled timed charge. After several minutes the RED light extinguishes.
I think that is just the car reminding you that it's plugged in but no power detected. It's nothing to worry about.
I also get a notification on the app to say "charge failed". At 1230 the charger turns power on and charging commences.
This is how my Solo works. I don't know if this is the same for other chargers but it seems logical that it would be.
Yep exactly the same for me , works fine
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Exactly what I get when using my Zappi ...
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

I had the Red Light problem with my Pod Point, in that it didn’t extinguish, the scheduled charge never happened, the cable disconnected and the car flagged a charging fault. The workaround was to initiate an immediate charge for a short period, then turn the schedule on. By doing that the charge subsequently stopped until the schedule period started, there was no red light/disconnect or car displaying a fault.

However, I reported the problem to PodPoint who after a few months sent a software update to my charger, which they asked me to test. It fixed the fault, it now works as it should. I have the cheap charge period set for everyday and connect the car to the charger whenever it’s convenient with no red lights/throwing faults etc. I’d therefore suggest logging a fault with Pod Point support.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster