Volume Controls sometimes control voice instead of radio

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
RobD

Post by RobD »

Does anyone know how you select whether the steering wheel volume control changes the voice volume or the radio/Android Auto media? Sometimes mine seems to get stuck controlling the voice volume, and I can't control the music volume.

Any help much appreciated!

Rob.

davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

From experience, while the 'voice' is speaking (ID voice/navigation, or Apple/Google maps/waze) and you use the steering wheel vol + or - buttons, the spoken volume will be increased/decreased. At all other times (no voice announcements occurring), the steering wheel vol + or - buttons affect media playback.
71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
Wurzzle

Post by Wurzzle »

I've not had this issue with our id3, but this does happen sometimes in our VW California. I think it's probably an android auto bug. I find that if you press and hold the "talk" button in the steering wheel to activate Google assistant, and ask any old question i.e. "what's the weather forecast?" This will reset the audio output.
Seems to work 90% of the time. Other times only solution is to stop, turn car off, get out, wait for it to go to sleep, and try again.
Very frustrating!!
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (March 22), Makena Turquoise, East Derry alloys, Transport hitch, Wallbox Pulsar.
And a 2015 22kw Renault Zoe (battery 98% S.O.H after 45k)
Wurzzle

Post by Wurzzle »

Another situation I've experienced is that the volume buttons dont appear to control anything. Again it only happens when a phone is connected via Android Auto. In this situation two breif presses of the steering wheel "talk" button sometimes reset the audio.
Our VW California doesn't have wireless android auto, so I can quickly unplug and reconnect the phone which always resolves the problem. Not an option with the id3 unfortunately.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (March 22), Makena Turquoise, East Derry alloys, Transport hitch, Wallbox Pulsar.
And a 2015 22kw Renault Zoe (battery 98% S.O.H after 45k)
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

RobD wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:20 pm Does anyone know how you select whether the steering wheel volume control changes the voice volume or the radio/Android Auto media? Sometimes mine seems to get stuck controlling the voice volume, and I can't control the music volume.

Rob.
YEs, had this a lot at first, what Software version is yours on?

This was very annoying but I don't think I have had the issue since 2.3, quickest way to resolve is press the ID Speak button on the wheel and then hit the X on the main screen to cancel it.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I've also had this a couple of times on my car. Thanks for the tip G43FAN. Up to now I've just resorted to waiting - after a short while it seems to sort itself out
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
RobD

Post by RobD »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:01 am
RobD wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:20 pm Does anyone know how you select whether the steering wheel volume control changes the voice volume or the radio/Android Auto media? Sometimes mine seems to get stuck controlling the voice volume, and I can't control the music volume.

Rob.
YEs, had this a lot at first, what Software version is yours on?

This was very annoying but I don't think I have had the issue since 2.3, quickest way to resolve is press the ID Speak button on the wheel and then hit the X on the main screen to cancel it.

Yeah, I'm on 2.3 as well. Hopefully 3.0 will sort it properly! Good tip on the speak button though - I'll give that a try. Thanks!