First charge

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
365allthetime

Post by 365allthetime »

Car was delivered Monday, august order. Full tank, pretty pleased with the efficiency so far. Thought I’d try my first public charge so had a little too up at Tesco. Couldn’t get the think to release! Stopped charge on car screen and still wouldn’t budge. Eventually worked out need to then push unlock on key fob.

Anyway managed to get 4.9kw added in 33 mins, around 7% added. Pretty pleased with that also! Efficiency wise I’m driving with a very light foot on B. No motorways yet but yet to charge at home and apps showing 235 mile range at 73% battery. No complaints yet!

OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

If you press ‘stop’ it’s a good idea to pull the cable pretty quickly. But you did the right thing, if in doubt press the ‘unlock’ fob button…
You struck lucky with the weather. A very significant improvement in efficiency in the last week. Enjoy the summer and the car!!
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

And yet they tell us that there is no need for a user manual - so how would we instinctively know this. There is nothing that suggests that is what we should do. ANd nothing that I have found on the screen (which I was assured would be all I would need) gives these kinds of instructions. There are occasional lights that flash up that I have no idea about and nowhere to look for explanation. Then the other day, whilst driving, the green light at the bottom of the windscreen did its flashing thing - I didn't know if that was a problem, if the car was about to grind to a halt.

I'm glad you worked it out, 365. I'm not sure I would have done so. I rang my dealer at 5 minutes to closing time.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Sheps wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:37 am And yet they tell us that there is no need for a user manual - so how would we instinctively know this. There is nothing that suggests that is what we should do. ANd nothing that I have found on the screen (which I was assured would be all I would need) gives these kinds of instructions. There are occasional lights that flash up that I have no idea about and nowhere to look for explanation. Then the other day, whilst driving, the green light at the bottom of the windscreen did its flashing thing - I didn't know if that was a problem, if the car was about to grind to a halt.

I'm glad you worked it out, 365. I'm not sure I would have done so. I rang my dealer at 5 minutes to closing time.
There is an online manual. You can find it via VW website with your VIN or reg number. It's very long. It's definitely false to suggest the car doesn't need a manual! They just don't supply it on a wodge of paper any more.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
365allthetime

Post by 365allthetime »

May need to check that online manual out. I’m sure there’ll be plenty other quirks I’ll find ha
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

365allthetime wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:01 am May need to check that online manual out. I’m sure there’ll be plenty other quirks I’ll find ha
Yes there are. Quirks to the online manual, that is.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

The flashing light near the binnacle are a ‘solution looking for a problem’. I ignore as a minor inconvenience.
Then again coming from the 1st version of the ID3 software you get used to ignoring pretty much anything!….
In the end you fall back to it being a very nice engineered car to drive.
CoalPorter

Post by CoalPorter »

sidehaas wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:56 am There is an online manual. You can find it via VW website with your VIN or reg number. It's very long. It's definitely false to suggest the car doesn't need a manual! They just don't supply it on a wodge of paper any more.
It took ages (months) before I could get access to that using my VIN or registration number.

I can understand why they put it on line rather than print it (cheaper, centrally updated), but not why they feel the need to hide it away behind a rather laughably insecure access restriction (why not let anyone read it freely? - prospective buyers, for example. It’s not like you couldn’t find a working reg or VIN if you wanted to :roll: ).
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

CoalPorter wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:29 am
sidehaas wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:56 am There is an online manual. You can find it via VW website with your VIN or reg number. It's very long. It's definitely false to suggest the car doesn't need a manual! They just don't supply it on a wodge of paper any more.
It took ages (months) before I could get access to that using my VIN or registration number.

I can understand why they put it on line rather than print it (cheaper, centrally updated), but not why they feel the need to hide it away behind a rather laughably insecure access restriction (why not let anyone read it freely? - prospective buyers, for example. It’s not like you couldn’t find a working reg or VIN if you wanted to :roll: ).
If I put my my reg or vin in, I seem to just get a truncated manual. There is a generic reg for the 1st edition, L3VWW. Does anyone know if that gets updated. or there is a better reg to get a more up to date version? Anyway, what defines a 1st Edition? I picked up mine in September 2021. Is that still a 1st edition?
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Scratch wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:46 am

If I put my my reg or vin in, I seem to just get a truncated manual. There is a generic reg for the 1st edition, L3VWW. Does anyone know if that gets updated. or there is a better reg to get a more up to date version? Anyway, what defines a 1st Edition? I picked up mine in September 2021. Is that still a 1st edition?

I think the idea of using the reg or VIN is to ensure you get the right manual for the car.

@ Scratch - A 1st Edition is a 1st Edition that's what defines a 1st Edition just as a Family is a Family, or a Max a Max the only exception being a Tour which is a myth.. (Sorry)
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:27 pm
Scratch wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:46 am

I think the idea of using the reg or VIN is to ensure you get the right manual for the car.

@ Scratch - A 1st Edition is a 1st Edition that's what defines a 1st Edition just as a Family is a Family, or a Max a Max the only exception being a Tour which is a myth.. (Sorry)
It may well get you the right manual but the one I see is next door to useless. Thanks for clarifying the 1st Edition thing. I just wish the manuals were better. Don’t care if it’s paper or online, just better. Perhaps it should be written by the users? A bit like wickapedia.
maccyj

Post by maccyj »

I had exactly the same issue regarding the car not releasing the charge cable. It has happened to me a few times now, even though I know I have to remove it immediately after unlocking!

I have had the car a year now, and still find it hard to use the infotainment screen for everything, especially sat nav etc when driving. My husband in the passenger seat rests his hand on the bottom of the screen, which turns the hazard lights on !!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

maccyj wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:52 pm I had exactly the same issue regarding the car not releasing the charge cable. It has happened to me a few times now, even though I know I have to remove it immediately after unlocking!

I have had the car a year now, and still find it hard to use the infotainment screen for everything, especially sat nav etc when driving. My husband in the passenger seat rests his hand on the bottom of the screen, which turns the hazard lights on !!
Yeah. Whichever design engineer decided that the hazard warning switch should be touch sensitive, should be sent back to college.
NoddyNinja

Post by NoddyNinja »

Hazard warning light switch +1
Or should that be +21 times :lol: :lol:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:02 pm
maccyj wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:52 pm I had exactly the same issue regarding the car not releasing the charge cable. It has happened to me a few times now, even though I know I have to remove it immediately after unlocking!

Yeah. Whichever design engineer decided that the hazard warning switch should be touch sensitive, should be sent back to college.
Because someone thinks it's a handy place to rest their hand? I've never accidentally pressed mine.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:46 pm
Scratch wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:02 pm

Because someone thinks it's a handy place to rest their hand? I've never accidentally pressed mine.
I've never done this either, but my wife has set the hazards off at least twice with her wrist when operating the screen from the passenger seat. I think maybe it's more likely from there because of the angle of the screen.
Not a big deal but I'd agree with the above that something you had to actively push in would have been better for this purpose. I'm a fan of the haptics overall.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
365allthetime

Post by 365allthetime »

Is there anyway to see the charge level in % when driving opposed to mileage range? Can only seem to locate in the app…..which seems to have extremely limited functionality for a car app to me!
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

365allthetime wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:14 pm Is there anyway to see the charge level in % when driving opposed to mileage range? Can only seem to locate in the app…..which seems to have extremely limited functionality for a car app to me!
SOC on the binnacle screen is coming in v3.0 of the software.
For now you can set up the vehicle menu on the infotainment system to see SOC in 1 click.
NoddyNinja

Post by NoddyNinja »

I have both displayed albeit one on each screen
Diver screen displays range in miles
Centre screen displays charge level %
For centre screen select “vehicle” from main menu and I think it’s “charge level” from LH options
Hope this helps