‘Clunking’ sound when sitting and getting out of driver’s seat

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
vanb

Post by vanb »

When I first sit down into the driver’s seat in my ID.3 I hear a ‘clunking’ sound and then hear it again when I get off the seat to leave the car. Does anyone know what this sound is or is it just my car? I wondered whether it was just one of those sounds that electric cars make and it’s just the car turning itself on and off as I sit down and get up.Thank you.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Mine does the same and has done since day one.
I think it's the combination of the seat sensor and presence of keys that enables some kind of main electrical contactor. That has always been my guess. I'm surprised that there has not been more discussion about it on these threads.
I'm sure someone here will know exactly what makes the noise.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Daveion wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:22 am Mine does the same and has done since day one.
I think it's the combination of the seat sensor and presence of keys that enables some kind of main electrical contactor. That has always been my guess. I'm surprised that there has not been more discussion about it on these threads.
I'm sure someone here will know exactly what makes the noise.
Yep, same here.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

No such noises in either or Life or Family ID3.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Mikster

Post by Mikster »

Think I might have the same. Is it the same sound as when charging begins. There is a kind of ‘thunk’ which I just assume is something to do with some kind of electrical switch engaging?
Family Pro Performance, Moonstone Grey, East Derry Alloys, Bike Hitch
Ordered - 31/7/21
Confirmed Build Week - 46
Delivery - 14/1/22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Mikster wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:50 am Think I might have the same. Is it the same sound as when charging begins. There is a kind of ‘thunk’ which I just assume is something to do with some kind of electrical switch engaging?
Yes. Also when plugging in to charge.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:51 am No such noises in either or Life or Family ID3.
I wonder whether it's something they managed to attenuate on later models? It is an unusual noise.
At first it sounded to me as if it was a suspension spring mount seating as I got in or something of that nature.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:55 am
Mikster wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:50 am Think I might have the same. Is it the same sound as when charging begins. There is a kind of ‘thunk’ which I just assume is something to do with some kind of electrical switch engaging?
Yes. Also when plugging in to charge.
I hear that click when plugging in or unlocking after a charge - almost certain its a locking mechanism for the cable engaging or disengaging.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:02 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:51 am No such noises in either or Life or Family ID3.
I wonder whether it's something they managed to attenuate on later models? It is an unusual noise.
At first it sounded to me as if it was a suspension spring mount seating as I got in or something of that nature.
Ours were both built around Feb 21.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:08 am
Daveion wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:02 am
Ours were both built around Feb 21.
I think mine was built around October 2020.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I hear a clunk occasionally but I don't remember ever hearing it upon sitting down/getting out when the car turns on/off.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
vanb

Post by vanb »

Thank you for all your replies. I’ll monitor it to see if it happens every time-I can’t remember at the moment. I definitely heard it last night when I parked on the drive. The drive is on a slight slope so perhaps it has something to do with the ‘auto hold’ or the car switching everything off for me. Just strange that some cars seem to have it and some don’t. My car was ‘built’ in December 2021 and I picked it up end of March 2022. Loving the car though! Once again, thanks for your replies.
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

mine does it when i plug the charger cable in - think it’s a relay to the main battery maybe? never done it when i’ve sat down or left - sometimes when i lock it - never been bothered by it tbh assumed it was uploaded to do it?
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

uploaded=supposed ( stupid fingers)
baguette

Post by baguette »

It's the main relay for the high voltage battery. Perfectly normal. It's just getting ready to go. :)