Tow bar Review

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
BeesKnees

Post by BeesKnees »

I've had the car a few months now and used a cycle rack on the tow bar a few times so thought I'd feedback.

Overall positive, needed an adapter for the power to connect the lights.

It's great for short journeys and didn't really notice a huge amount of range loss until..

We went away for the weekend with three bikes on the back, on the way there the 120 mile trip was done comfortably with energy use 3.2/kWh doing 65mph.
On the way back there was a headwind. The car was charged to 85% with the car saying the range was 185 miles. It ate the power, I slipstreamed hgvs and had to drop the speed to 55mph. Got home with 3 miles to spare.

Then when I took the cycle rack off the towbar wouldn't come away. Had to take it to the garage who removed it for me and advised to use wd40 everytime I use it in future. I suspect the extra pressure due to the wind was partially to blame.

It was certainly lessons learnt. I'm glad I've got it but I might be less inclined to use it over distance in future.
Life Pro with tow hook Stonewashed Blue
Ordered July , provisional build week 40/41, now 43. Confirmed 45
Order No 3136****

andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Do you know what sort of weight you're putting on it with three bikes, including the rack?
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
BeesKnees

Post by BeesKnees »

About 50-60kg, the bar is rated for 75kg on mine although I know older ones had a lower rating.
Life Pro with tow hook Stonewashed Blue
Ordered July , provisional build week 40/41, now 43. Confirmed 45
Order No 3136****