Tyre Wear

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
sidehaas
Posts: 494
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:04 am

Post by sidehaas » Sun May 08, 2022 8:25 am

monkeyhanger wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 8:02 am
tomstring wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 6:00 am
Does anybody know what tyres are fitted on current deliveries?
I don't know anyone here or elsewhere that got anything other than Bridgestones IF they have 18" wheels (steel or East Derrys), 19" is pot luck, but it's more often Contis than Goodyear or Bridgestones (Bridgestones 19" are a rarity). 20"? Don't know anyone who ticked that option box, (for fear of a harsh ride, or the disproportionately high cost).

If you're on 18" wheels, I'd bet the house you'll be getting Bridgestones.
Our Contis are 18 inch (on East Derrys). It seems too early to say how they are wearing though. Tread is certainly a lot less than a nearly new set of Michelins on my other car but if they started on 6.5mm like a 19 inch wheel poster above said his did, then they are doing pretty well.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. OHME Home Pro charger.

sghom
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:23 am

Post by sghom » Sun May 08, 2022 8:31 am

monkeyhanger wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 8:02 am
tomstring wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 6:00 am
Does anybody know what tyres are fitted on current deliveries?
I don't know anyone here or elsewhere that got anything other than Bridgestones IF they have 18" wheels (steel or East Derrys), 19" is pot luck, but it's more often Contis than Goodyear or Bridgestones (Bridgestones 19" are a rarity). 20"? Don't know anyone who ticked that option box, (for fear of a harsh ride, or the disproportionately high cost).

If you're on 18" wheels, I'd bet the house you'll be getting Bridgestones.
18" .....with conti's here ! :P
family pro performance, mangy knees+bin lids
JCT 600 [sheffield]
ordered 17 july
3140xxxx
build week 45 confirmed? 11/1
on the boat 8-)
MY22
ETA feb 22 8-)

monkeyhanger
Posts: 990
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by monkeyhanger » Sun May 08, 2022 9:00 am

Both 2022 arrivals, maybe VW have switched or Bridgestones in shorter supply recently?

Lucky you, the Bridgestones are poor, but they're so much worse on a FWD Golf or Polo for tramping, so the ID3's rear wheel drive does disguise some of their shortcomings.
His: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps, 58kWh Glacial White, 19" Hurricane Wheels - replaced ID3 PP Life
Hers: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

monkeyhanger
Posts: 990
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by monkeyhanger » Sun May 15, 2022 5:51 pm

Today was supposedly the last day of a Costco Michelin tyre promo, so I went down to Gateshead to get a set of Primacy 4s, but the offer had been pulled early and will be on for the W/C 23 May 2022 apparently. I gored my rear right tyre on the sharpest kerb corner I've ever seen, reversing into the "Sheldon" spot at a job interview. With my wife's slow puncture on the same wheel, the plan is to swap her front wheels for my rears, so I've got a partially worn set of Bridgestones on mine, then replace all hers with the Primacy. With yhe promo, the tyres will be £105 a corner, fully fitted.
His: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps, 58kWh Glacial White, 19" Hurricane Wheels - replaced ID3 PP Life
Hers: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

fixit
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:09 pm

Post by fixit » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:46 pm

Only done 2200 miles but my East Derry 18" offside rear has just given up in our local car park! The timing as the long Jubilee weekend is now stretched out before us is hugely annoying!
I managed to limp home slowly but I now need to source a tyre complete with a mobile fitting service
I was thinking of getting a Michelin e.Primacy but it's about £160 - is there much difference between the Primacy 3, 4 and the e versions?
Can anyone recommend a mobile fitter in the Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire area?

Fixit

Busman
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:46 am

Post by Busman » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:31 pm

fixit wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:46 pm
Only done 2200 miles but my East Derry 18" offside rear has just given up in our local car park! The timing as the long Jubilee weekend is now stretched out before us is hugely annoying!
I managed to limp home slowly but I now need to source a tyre complete with a mobile fitting service
I was thinking of getting a Michelin e.Primacy but it's about £160 - is there much difference between the Primacy 3, 4 and the e versions?
Can anyone recommend a mobile fitter in the Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire area?

Fixit
What about using the much lauded VW tyre insurance, that VW don't want you to know about Apparently it comes standard with all new vehicles.

Scratch
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Post by Scratch » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:45 am

Busman wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:31 pm
fixit wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:46 pm
Only done 2200 miles but my East Derry 18" offside rear has just given up in our local car park! The timing as the long Jubilee weekend is now stretched out before us is hugely annoying!
I managed to limp home slowly but I now need to source a tyre complete with a mobile fitting service
I was thinking of getting a Michelin e.Primacy but it's about £160 - is there much difference between the Primacy 3, 4 and the e versions?
Can anyone recommend a mobile fitter in the Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire area?

Fixit
What about using the much lauded VW tyre insurance, that VW don't want you to know about Apparently it comes standard with all new vehicles.
Do tell more about this free tyre insurance please? Where do VW mention it in their blurb?

Busman
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:46 am

Post by Busman » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:00 pm

Scratch wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:45 am
Busman wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:31 pm
fixit wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:46 pm
Only done 2200 miles but my East Derry 18" offside rear has just given up in our local car park! The timing as the long Jubilee weekend is now stretched out before us is hugely annoying!
I managed to limp home slowly but I now need to source a tyre complete with a mobile fitting service
I was thinking of getting a Michelin e.Primacy but it's about £160 - is there much difference between the Primacy 3, 4 and the e versions?
Can anyone recommend a mobile fitter in the Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire area?

Fixit
What about using the much lauded VW tyre insurance, that VW don't want you to know about Apparently it comes standard with all new vehicles.
Do tell more about this free tyre insurance please? Where do VW mention it in their blurb?
Google Volkswagen tyre insurance.ie and Volkswagen tyre insurance .UK.You will find both sites offer 3 years insurance free on all tyres that are fitted on new Volkswagen's purchased from authorised dealers

Scratch
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Post by Scratch » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:15 pm

Busman wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:00 pm
Scratch wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:45 am
Busman wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:31 pm


What about using the much lauded VW tyre insurance, that VW don't want you to know about Apparently it comes standard with all new vehicles.
Do tell more about this free tyre insurance please? Where do VW mention it in their blurb?
Google Volkswagen tyre insurance.ie and Volkswagen tyre insurance .UK.You will find both sites offer 3 years insurance free on all tyres that are fitted on new Volkswagen's purchased from authorised dealers
I must be having an off day! I can find no such reference to tyre insurance. The info on VW warranties is here:

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... terms.html

Busman
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:46 am

Post by Busman » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:21 pm

Indeed,look at Volkswagen tyre insurance Ireland.You will find what I am talking about there.Perhaps in the UK Volkswagen are not providing such cover with new vehicles,given the high level of lease plans that are in the UK.

Scratch
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Post by Scratch » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:09 pm

Busman wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:21 pm
Indeed,look at Volkswagen tyre insurance Ireland.You will find what I am talking about there.Perhaps in the UK Volkswagen are not providing such cover with new vehicles,given the high level of lease plans that are in the UK.
Nothing to do with Brexit then?

Busman
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:46 am

Post by Busman » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:19 am

Scratch wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:09 pm
Busman wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:21 pm
Indeed,look at Volkswagen tyre insurance Ireland.You will find what I am talking about there.Perhaps in the UK Volkswagen are not providing such cover with new vehicles,given the high level of lease plans that are in the UK.
Nothing to do with Brexit then?
[/quotm
Maybe there are benefits after all to being in the EU.But my comment re lease plans might have something to do with the absence of Tyre insurance being offered in the UK .After all cars acquired via lease plans are likely to be less loved.

fixit
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:09 pm

Post by fixit » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:46 am

fixit wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:46 pm
Only done 2200 miles but my East Derry 18" offside rear has just given up in our local car park! The timing as the long Jubilee weekend is now stretched out before us is hugely annoying!
I managed to limp home slowly but I now need to source a tyre complete with a mobile fitting service
I was thinking of getting a Michelin e.Primacy but it's about £160 - is there much difference between the Primacy 3, 4 and the e versions?
Can anyone recommend a mobile fitter in the Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire area?

Fixit
The tyre should be covered under the warranty (less than six months or 6,500 miles) but I can't get the local dealer to take it seriously as they just stonewalled me saying it's a puncture. That's irrelevant under the terms of the warranty. Neither they, or VW Customer (don't) Care seem to understand that a warranty is a legal agreement and not a grace & favour concession!

I will pay for it and claim it back, either through the small claims court or VW's preference - the Motor Ombudsman. Has anyone dealt with the Ombudsman before?

Any info about which way would be best?

Post Reply