Wireless smartphone charging

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
dsilvapt

Post by dsilvapt »

On my ID.3 the wireless smartphone charging on the central console is not working properly.

Charging very, very slow! On the other hand is rises the smartphone temperature making almost impossible to hold it.

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

If your phone is also running Android Auto or Apple Carplay and doing navigation etc, the charging will just about keep up (or just about not keep up) - but the power usage means the phone will indeed run very warm, depending on software and hardware of course.

If your phone is in a case, try removing it so the phone gets better cooling. Some cases also interfere somewhat with wireless charging, despite the manufacturers' claims that they don't
id3 Max 2021
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

SinglePointSafety wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:43 pm If your phone is also running Android Auto or Apple Carplay and doing navigation etc, the charging will just about keep up (or just about not keep up) - but the power usage means the phone will indeed run very warm, depending on software and hardware of course.

If your phone is in a case, try removing it so the phone gets better cooling. Some cases also interfere somewhat with wireless charging, despite the manufacturers' claims that they don't
I don't generally use android auto but do use the charger. It is very hit and miss. To the extent that the screen flash appears multiple times. Sometimes the phone gets hot. Sometimes it doesnt charge at all. I figure it is because the charger doesn't accurately align. When I use my desktop wireless charger I just place the phone: alignment isn't an issue. Does anyone know what size the ID3 charger is? I guess it is pretty small, hence the alignment issue.
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

As someone said, if it's in a case, remove it. I think VW actually mention this somewhere.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I usually use the plug - and my partner drops her phone into the wireless caddy
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Scratch wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:42 am As someone said, if it's in a case, remove it. I think VW actually mention this somewhere.
Yes... some of the clam-shell cases have magnetic closures - interfere with the induction charging.
Also there is a note somewhere about the orientation of the phone.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

duckworthsj wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:31 am
Scratch wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:42 am As someone said, if it's in a case, remove it. I think VW actually mention this somewhere.
Yes... some of the clam-shell cases have magnetic closures - interfere with the induction charging.
Also there is a note somewhere about the orientation of the phone.
My iPhone is generally in a fabric case, no metal involved. Still gets quite hot.
dsilvapt

Post by dsilvapt »

I've tried both ways (i.e. with case and without case) and is gets very hot in both scenarios...

Just called Volkswagen service and asked them to fix it.

Most probably they need to replace some hardware...
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

Wireless charging always brings more heat, this is a natural experience with wireless charging as it heats the wireless coils, happens when I charge my iPhone 13 Pro with the official apple MagSafe cable.

The thing with the ID.3.. even if you’re not using CarPlay/Android Auto it still runs in the background which is pretty crap. I generally tend not to use the wireless charger in the ID.3 as it’s pretty slow and will always pick Type-C charging over it.

I will say though.. it never gets hot enough to not be able to hold after charging, could be more of a incompatibility issue with your phone rather than an issue with the built in charger.
2021 Life Pro Performance - Manganese Grey - 19" Andoyas - Software 2.3 - SOLD July 2022.
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

I've found my phone loses a huge chunk of power while using wireless charging in the ID3. I lost maybe 20% power in the space of 20 minutes and the phone did get super hot. I normally use a case but I had removed before putting it in because it wasn't really charging. My partner had the same issue happen to her, both using Pixel 4 and 6 Pro.
Tour 5 77kWh Pro S 204HP in Stone Washed Blue
Ordered October 2021
Build Started: Week 21 2022
Delivered: Week: Week 26 2022

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker