Auto stop in reverse?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Orroroo

Post by Orroroo »

I have an ID3 Tour on order but have just seen the guy from CarWow do a review on the ID Buzz.

He made a mistake and the van's systems physically stopped him ramming into something in reverse "auto stop" he called it.

Can anyone tell me if the Tour has this feature please?

Given my propensity to reverse at low speed into my own garden wall it would be a great (and unexpected) feature to get.

Thanks

itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

All models of the ID.3 have it. I know this because 2 days into owning my Life I thought I reversed into a wall as the stop/breaking was so sudden and harsh..... however it was the breaks automatically engaging as I got too close for comfort. :D
2021 Life Pro Performance - Manganese Grey - 19" Andoyas - Software 2.3 - SOLD July 2022.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yes. It does. Quite effective.
stevieboy

Post by stevieboy »

Yes the Tour certainly has it. Very effective - feels like you have hit a brick wall!
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Stone washed Blue | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | Wallbox Home Charger
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Just be careful if you are around a garden wall at low height. I'm not sure what height obstacles the system detects, but I don't think it covers kerbs that are only just high enough to impact the paintwork*, so it might not catch a very low wall either. Some concentration still required :)

* I haven't tested this completely, but I did inadvertently drive the car's front wing over a high kerb in a car park the other day that only had about a mm clearance, and it didn't attempt to stop me at all.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
steve

Post by steve »

I had to get out and pull up the dandelion that it wouldn't let me reverse over last summer.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Well for balance, I would suggest it doesn't or it isn't reliable. I tried the cardboard box test as we had a substantial size box hanging around. Approx the size of a 8 or 9 yr old child. The car just proceeded to flatten it despite beeping in protest at the obstacle.
Orroroo

Post by Orroroo »

Brilliant!

Thanks for all your replies
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

G43FAN wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:59 am Well for balance, I would suggest it doesn't or it isn't reliable. I tried the cardboard box test as we had a substantial size box hanging around. Approx the size of a 8 or 9 yr old child. The car just proceeded to flatten it despite beeping in protest at the obstacle.
Same experience.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

sidehaas wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:25 pm Just be careful if you are around a garden wall at low height. I'm not sure what height obstacles the system detects, but I don't think it covers kerbs that are only just high enough to impact the paintwork*, so it might not catch a very low wall either. Some concentration still required :)

* I haven't tested this completely, but I did inadvertently drive the car's front wing over a high kerb in a car park the other day that only had about a mm clearance, and it didn't attempt to stop me at all.
Yes, watch out for low walls - I unfortunately managed to scratch mine low down behind the back wheel on a low wall whilst reversing - no warning was given.

On other occasions it has saved me reversing into something, but as others have said it stops so suddenly you can think you have actually hit something.

Surprised to hear what others have said about the 'cardboard box test'. Haven't tried this myself.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I read this thread on May 4th and today I proved that my Life model has this feature. Backing up to a Podpoint EVSE in a Tesco car park a little too eagerly - the car stopped dead, just as if it had hit a brick wall. Phew! Needn't have bothered though as out of the three EVSEs, one was charging a Tesla and the other two were broken! It does seem cheap though that the Podpoints don't have a screen to tell you if they are functioning or not. Their app also just said they were available. Sorry, I seem to have drifted away from the subject. Oh, and these EVSEs are NEW.
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

You would have thought that even soft cardboard would still reflect enough ultrasound to be picked up by the transducers when very close. It would be interesting to see what happens if you put something a bit more acoustic reflective in front of the box.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Big277wave wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:55 pm You would have thought that even soft cardboard would still reflect enough ultrasound to be picked up by the transducers when very close. It would be interesting to see what happens if you put something a bit more acoustic reflective in front of the box.
Oh the car sees the box, it just didn't stop.. might be a setting I guess, but I have most of the other features active.
phixion

Post by phixion »

Yeah my ID.3 Tour has it, kinda annoying at times because when slowly manoeuvring it sometimes slams the brakes on even though you have plenty of space.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

phixion wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:28 am Yeah my ID.3 Tour has it, kinda annoying at times because when slowly manoeuvring it sometimes slams the brakes on even though you have plenty of space.
That's probably Auto Hold not emergency braking.
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

G43FAN wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:06 am
phixion wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:28 am Yeah my ID.3 Tour has it, kinda annoying at times because when slowly manoeuvring it sometimes slams the brakes on even though you have plenty of space.
That's probably Auto Hold not emergency braking.
It doesn't feel like Auto Hold. It's very fierce and whilst there is still loads of space. I'll try to pay more attention to exactly when it does it. It makes street parking very difficult.
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

Sheps wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:13 am
G43FAN wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:06 am That's probably Auto Hold not emergency braking.
It doesn't feel like Auto Hold. It's very fierce and whilst there is still loads of space. I'll try to pay more attention to exactly when it does it. It makes street parking very difficult.
It should be reasonably easy to tell as Auto Hold can be switched off from the quick swipe menu; if it stops happening, it's auto hold.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
phixion

Post by phixion »

Auto hold shouldn't come on while still moving though.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

But it does if you are creeping.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
dickerbor

Post by dickerbor »

Sadly, this afternoon I managed to reverse into a parked car with my ID.3 Family Pro Performance '23 plate - had it less than a month. The car just let it happen with no warning or attempt to prevent or lessen the impact. The rear nearside bumper made contact.

Should I have expected more from the car?