Software 3.1

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

Sherlock wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:15 am Genuine question - who wants games in their car? Certainly not me but maybe I am a minority. I can't believe VW have prioritised this. The rest of the update looks quite nice - mostly how they should have done it to begin with but better late than never. Not convinced I will ever see any of it in my Dec 20 First Edition though...
I’ve given up thinking about updates (September 2019 !st edition) - was there something about having to have 2.4 and a hardware upgrade before we could get OTA on “old” cars or was that just another waking nightmare?

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

There have been various slithers of information.. the main one is that 2.4 would include a new battery (12v) as the previous battery would not last long enough to complete the 3.0 software as an OTA update ?? (Seriously, it would have been cheaper and quicker to just send owners a 12v booster kit for the update)
There are modules that would need a manual update also apparently, but like you I am not holding my breath for any other update to the car. VWs performance around this is more shocking in relaity than dieselgate and a load of 'faux environmentalists' complaining that they were duped into buying a more polluting car than they ever would have so they can get a payout.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Update on 2.4 / 3.0 from VW via the Id Facebook page. Nothing especially new here but here you are:

9704A7B8-3434-4FA1-B9A4-30761F956721.png

946C681B-E366-4D0E-979A-7F65A7AB66B0.png

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Thanks. It's good to know they think they've ironed out any problems they knew about with 2.4. Gives some more clarity about what's happening.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
vanb

Post by vanb »

MotMot wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:53 am Update on 2.4 / 3.0 from VW via the Id Facebook page. Nothing especially new here but here you are:

9704A7B8-3434-4FA1-B9A4-30761F956721.png946C681B-E366-4D0E-979A-7F65A7AB66B0.png
Thank you for this. I’m not on Facebook so at least I now know what’s going on. 👍😀
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Just read this myself on FB.
Lets see what happens this month. 🤞
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Sigh. More waiting. I feel for all of you early adopters.

When they say “later this month” that means they’ll inform us later this month right? Not that the service will be starting later this month.
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

rikimaru wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:43 am Sigh. More waiting. I feel for all of you early adopters.

When they say “later this month” that means they’ll inform us later this month right? Not that the service will be starting later this month.

That’s exactly what they mean. They will inform you all of when they plan to start the 2.4 rollout later this month.

Don’t expect it to be soon, or quick. I was astounded to read the process takes a day, and they’re providing replacement mobility.

Imagine how much “replacement mobility” needs to be organised to bring the entire fleet in for a day, nationwide. And that’s on top of the replacement mobility requirements for general servicing at your dealership.

And don’t forget to note the nuance - 3.0 OTA isn’t finished yet :roll: That’s what “in parallel, we are finalising the 3.0 update” actually means :D I’ve written enough weasel words on OTA updates to recognise other people’s weasel words :mrgreen:
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Utumno wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:30 pm
rikimaru wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:43 am Sigh. More waiting. I feel for all of you early adopters.

That’s exactly what they mean. They will inform you all of when they plan to start the 2.4 rollout later this month.

Don’t expect it to be soon, or quick. I was astounded to read the process takes a day, and they’re providing replacement mobility.

Imagine how much “replacement mobility” needs to be organised to bring the entire fleet in for a day, nationwide. And that’s on top of the replacement mobility requirements for general servicing at your dealership.

And don’t forget to note the nuance - 3.0 OTA isn’t finished yet :roll: That’s what “in parallel, we are finalising the 3.0 update” actually means :D I’ve written enough weasel words on OTA updates to recognise other people’s weasel words :mrgreen:
As someone who studied law for a while, I too noticed the weasel words! So many ambiguous statements. I was also surprised about the replacement mobility. I certainly wasn’t expecting it (especially not for 1 day) but now they’ve gone and said something else they may soon regret XD
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

You don't need to have studied law (no offense intended) and as Utumno suggests yet again VW release a statement about the release of a Software update yet again without actually releasing said software update or indeed giving any tangible evidence of when it may happen. They are also introducing (well keeping, sorry Mr Pessimism again) the concept that 'only cars with 2.4' will get 3.0. This isn't being stated as an obvious steps instruction, when your car goes in for 2.4 and they then tell you that some of the older modules couldn't be updated that will be that, no 3.0, the words are there. I hope I am wrong but I too have read enough of these statements around releases to know when I am being set up for an 'Oh, right ermm so what happens now.. ' situation.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

With all this ambiguity regarding software updates and "fixes", and when more EVs (of all makes) become much more available, does anybody else think that VW have shot themselves in the foot - again? (dieselgate)
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

The only thing it ‘commits’ to is telling us by the end of this month when the 2.4 programme will start.
Meanwhile they still haven’t finished 3.0 for the cars out there.
I’ve not seen anything suggesting that any existing cars, ahem my 1st Edition, won’t be able to take 2.4 or get 3.0.
It is undoubtedly a technical and communications mess. And we need the new battery management software for next winter.
Otherwise I’m happy enough on 2.3.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Jack1338

Post by Jack1338 »

I'm truly confused at what's going to happen for our car - we got our ID.3 on a lease, through a third party, so our "volkswagen partner" (i.e the dealer who took the initial delivery of our car, before delivering it to us - and one which I've never actually spoken to directly) is based about 340 miles/5.5 hours away...

Wondering if my local VW dealer whom I cancelled my original order with would be pleased to see my face again to do an update on my car and give me an alternative car for the day. I'm thinking not.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Jack1338 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:54 pm I'm truly confused at what's going to happen for our car - we got our ID.3 on a lease, through a third party, so our "volkswagen partner" (i.e the dealer who took the initial delivery of our car, before delivering it to us - and one which I've never actually spoken to directly) is based about 340 miles/5.5 hours away...

Wondering if my local VW dealer whom I cancelled my original order with would be pleased to see my face again to do an update on my car and give me an alternative car for the day. I'm thinking not.
You can change your preferred VW Service Partner on the WeConnectID app. (Click on the car icon and go on to ‘service partner’).
I assume your 2.4 recall will then be via your new designated service partner.
I’ve done precisely that after my local dealer ripped me off for new discs on my car with 12k miles on it).
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
SDH7

Post by SDH7 »

It honestly baffles me that they've spent all this time and money on this software, for it to be this half baked.

They could approach Google and put android automotive in, ala Polestar and problems solved. Surely most people plug in their phone anyway so why they feel the need to reinvent the wheel with this I can't get my head around.
ID4 Life Pure
Status 30 as of 16/06
NHS Fleet Order from VW Pulman
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

SDH7 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:26 pm It honestly baffles me that they've spent all this time and money on this software, for it to be this half baked.

They could approach Google and put android automotive in, ala Polestar and problems solved. Surely most people plug in their phone anyway so why they feel the need to reinvent the wheel with this I can't get my head around.

Mostly it's because doing this hands live fleet data to Google, which isn't a great strategic move from VW given that they consider themselves to be a contender in the in-car software space.

A better question might well be why VW thinks it can compete with Google 🤣
Tesla Model Y Long Range

mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

Utumno wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:48 pm
SDH7 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:26 pm It honestly baffles me that they've spent all this time and money on this software, for it to be this half baked.

Mostly it's because doing this hands live fleet data to Google, which isn't a great strategic move from VW given that they consider themselves to be a contender in the in-car software space.

A better question might well be why VW thinks it can compete with Google 🤣
They've already given up and given it to TomTom, but presumably on far better terms than they would have with Google https://www.tomtom.com/press-room/gener ... avigation/
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

The key there is “Co-develop”. Implementing Automotive is just handing Google the data.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

"CARIAD’s competences in premium user experience and vehicle integration"

Haha
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

OB1CCFC wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:10 pm
Jack1338 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:54 pm I'm truly confused at what's going to happen for our car - we got our ID.3 on a lease, through a third party, so our "volkswagen partner" (i.e the dealer who took the initial delivery of our car, before delivering it to us - and one which I've never actually spoken to directly) is based about 340 miles/5.5 hours away...

You can change your preferred VW Service Partner on the WeConnectID app. (Click on the car icon and go on to ‘service partner’).
I assume your 2.4 recall will then be via your new designated service partner.
I’ve done precisely that after my local dealer ripped me off for new discs on my car with 12k miles on it).
I asked about this on the Facebook page, prompted by another thread. VW have responded as follows. I don't think this leaves any role for the service partner selected within the app.
"For the many of you who asked us, which dealer sends out the invitation to the ID. software 2.4 update, here’s the answer:
This depends on the country you are in. Some Importers or National Sales Companies will send out the invitation to schedule an appointment for the workshop action from their headquarters to you, others will leave the invitation process to their dealers. In case that the invitation is to be sent from the dealer, you will receive it from the dealer you purchased your ID. from. But, for your convenience, you do not have to book your appointment with the dealer you receive the invitation from – you are free to schedule an appointment with the Volkswagen service partner of your choosing."
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.