Wireless charger missing in Max?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

As far as I’m aware the Max comes with a wireless charger but I’ve just received the car and placing my phone into the wireless charger bay does nothing.

Has anyone experienced this?
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!

gailjon

Post by gailjon »

rikimaru wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:42 pm As far as I’m aware the Max comes with a wireless charger but I’ve just received the car and placing my phone into the wireless charger bay does nothing.

Has anyone experienced this?
It may not be that it is missing, just that the wireless charging is quite tricky to get going sometimes. There are times when my iphone 12 needs to be moved around until it hits the 'sweet spot' and begins to charge. Try shifting the phone around to see if it charges at all. The other thing that can prevent wireless charging is if you have a thick phone cover.

What I will say is that even if you get it charging, the phone can sometimes overheat if using apple carplay, There have been times when my iphone has sent the message that it si shutting down due to overheating. I don't think the little pocket design is particularly good for airflow. My Sorento has a large area with a vented bottom to it for wireless charging and it never overheats.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

I've only had my car a few days but I would say that wireless phone charging is not fit for purpose.
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

What I've found with the wireless charger in my Life, is that you need to place your phone in the correct way otherwise it won't seat properly and will intermittently charge.... if you place it camera down into the holder it won't seat properly but if you drop the phone lightening port down into the holder it will charge with no issues.

Will agree though.. it's not great at all and I just use the VW branded iPhone cable that the dealer gave me as usb type-c charges so much quicker. :)
2021 Life Pro Performance - Manganese Grey - 19" Andoyas - Software 2.3 - SOLD July 2022.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Place the phone in the charger the correct way (facing forward) in the slot, and out of a phone case, otherwise you can forget charging. Follow the aforementioned advice and my elderly Samsung S10 charges quite quickly.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Thanks everyone for the replies!

It turns out I did have a wiggle my phone a bit to get it to charge and since then it’s been fine. Weird that it can be hit and miss though. The previous EV I drove was a Hyundai Ioniq 38kWh and the wireless charging in that worked perfectly every time (even with a case).

Not sure why it’s finicky in this care given it’s not that hard of a problem to solve these days.
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:21 pm Place the phone in the charger the correct way (facing forward) in the slot, and out of a phone case, otherwise you can forget charging. Follow the aforementioned advice and my elderly Samsung S10 charges quite quickly.
I will say with my iPhone 13 Pro Max it charges absolutely fine in a case however I do have a mag safe case on my phone so that probably helps!
2021 Life Pro Performance - Manganese Grey - 19" Andoyas - Software 2.3 - SOLD July 2022.
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

itsmeGAV wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:32 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:21 pm Place the phone in the charger the correct way (facing forward) in the slot, and out of a phone case, otherwise you can forget charging. Follow the aforementioned advice and my elderly Samsung S10 charges quite quickly.
I will say with my iPhone 13 Pro Max it charges absolutely fine in a case however I do have a mag safe case on my phone so that probably helps!
Good to know the iPhone 13 Pro Max will fit! Didn't realise you could wirelessly charge that even with the MagSafe on though. Impressive.