trip to Holland - charging experiences !

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
peterg

Post by peterg »

SO I thought I would share the [mostly] pain free experiment of going to Holland and back in an ID3......120 miles to Eurotunnel. free charging at the terminal dead easy although only one of four points working .
Hook of Holland with 50 left in the tank...only option was Ecotap, their local provider....download the App . load 50 Euros onto the account and away you go...So I still dont know how to get the 30 Euros back that I didnt need......so hassle but problem resolved.
Back at Eurotunnel Calais - only one point working and occupied by an ID4.There were 8 tesla points all empty.
So back at Folkestone services went to the Shell garage and again had to register, downloads, stand on your head to get a charge. So I gave up and drove to the actual services and there were 4 contactless payment terminals available - 25 minutes and £17 pounds later , full charge.
SO to share my experience , EUrotunnel has a dead easy free plug in system - if they all worked. I cant imagine what the place will be like at Half term
But in UK, not having charged away from home before, it strikes me the contactless card option has to be the way to go. Would be interested to see if these are becoming the norm at service stations and elsewhere. The guy next to me charging his Hyundai has six payment cards which he took out when he went electric. And 48 pence a k/wh at Folkestone services.
Overall though EV has to be the way to go.

OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

I’m off to southern Germany on Tuesday.
I will use Ionity for all the longer stretches (via the We Charge RFID card and We Charge Go subscription) , using Maidstone before the tunnel and Vuerne the other side.
I have 3 other standby charging services with RFID cards just in case.
Let’s see how it goes!!
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.