Cable storage - boot

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 2515

Post by Deleted User 2515 »

Can anyone please provide me with recommendations for storing the charge cable in the boot.

I have the standard charger (in a drawstring bag) and granny charger (in a drawstring bag).

My ID.3 doesn't have the adjustable boot floor.

The tool cubby appears to be too small to squash one cable in let alone two cables.

Where do other owners store their cables?

Thank you.

Grant

mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

I'm planning on ordering the adjustable boot floor, just in case you didn't know it could be purchased separately:

https://shop.ahw-shop.de/original-vw-id ... arz?c=9258#
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The granny charger (3 pin) fits easily in the cubby. I also squeeze in a weatherproof extension lead in there too...
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I have the standard boot floor.
I store a granny in the boot cubby as MotMot and only take the type 2 cable away on long trips in the boot.
Home Charger is tethered.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The type2 cable coiled in the bag hangs nicely from the hooks on top edges of the boot... TBH mine normally sits unbagged on the boot floor...
Stig2011

Post by Stig2011 »

I just use a couple of bungy cords attached to the luggage restraint rings to hold the bag with the type 2 cable upright against the side of the boot. Keeps it nicely out of the way without taking up too much space.
Life Pro Performance/Assistance Pack/Scale Silver/ East Derry Wheels
Deleted User 2515

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Really helpful.
Deleted User 2515

Post by mediaguy » Tue May 24, 2022 2:53 pm

I'm planning on ordering the adjustable boot floor, just in case you didn't know it could be purchased separately:

https://shop.ahw-shop.de/original-vw-id ... arz?c=9258#

How easy this to fit?

Grant
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Fairly (need to cut a small hole in the carpet). Last time Inchecked this website didn’t deliver to the UK - and beware customs charges on top of that price…
Deleted User 2515

Thanks.

I made an enquiry with the VW dealer. I'm advised the parts are available for c£180 (fitting not included).

It seems reasonable for the solution. I will keep this thread updated with progress.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

If you need to use the full depth of your boot on a semi regular basis, don't buy the adjustable floor. When in the lower position it takes around 2cm off the boot depth and you still have nowhere to store your cables. When in the upper position you lose a lot more boot depth. If you take it out completely the rails remain in place and get in the way if you need to use both the full depth and width. I find it annoying and wish I didn't have it, as I need to fill the boot with a couple of large items on a regular basis (I would offer the parts for sale but I'm worried it would affect the future value of the car, as being a Family it is supposed to have it.)
Just a word of warning really. If you don't need much boot space it'll help keep things tidy.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Deleted User 2515

Interesting perspective.
Thank you.
Deleted User 2515

Interesting perspective.
Thank you.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I really wouldn't bother with retrofitting the adjustable floor. We have a Life without the adjustable floor and a Family with. Our Life's boot is far more practical for big items and our 34kg Chocolate Lab.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

I have a round charging bag big enough to hold two cables, I hook onto the left side storage hook and have a hooked Bundy cable stretched between two hooks, works well.

bag.jpg

ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
Chivers

Post by Chivers »

Our ID3 Family has the adjustable floor. IMHO a complete waste of time and £££. It makes the boot space much smaller etc.

I have learned how to coil the high speed charging cable in a certain way so it neatly fits in that little gap behind the bumper. I bought a granny charger on eBay and it lives in a messy bag under the front seats: IMHO VW should have found somewhere at the front of the car to store that.
ID.3 Family 150kw, built 11/2020.
v2.4 in Apr. 2023. . .
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Replied to a similar query in another thread - we really like our adjustable boot floor in our Max, but that's our circumstances, others' will be different
id3 Max 2021