ID3 trip to southern Germany

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Set off for a trip to southern Germany today from St Albans currently in Bruges Belgium.
Today the car was pretty great- smooth, quite and ran at about 4 mi/kWh over the journey (ACC set to 68mph and 110 kmph). It was nice to run some aircon during the Chunnel crossing!
We stopped at Maidstone Ionity before the Chunnel, basically a garage forecourt but ok and 4 charging stalls. Note currently the exit south is closed and you have to loop north then south adding 5 journey miles. You are also limited to 30 mins charging.
The other side we stopped at Veurne Ionity in Belgium. It was pretty grim tbh. In a lorry park near some sulphurous chimneys about 1.5 miles off motorway. Need to source an alternative on the return.
Other things to note:
You need an adhesive UK sticker, the magnetic ones are no good for the ID3.
Take your V5C, insurance certificate and a first aid kit.
Heading south tomorrow. More to follow…
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.

OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Now near Metz in central France after 230 mile drive.
I charged 100% via Ionity at a large modern service station at Wetteren. Recommended.
Car drove great again. Around 3.9 mi/kWh at 110 km per hr (68 mph). Drops to around 3.7 at 115 kph.
Saw very few EV’s during the journey. Surprising
Last leg to Colmar tomorrow.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Interesting to hear some of the Ionities are at poor locations, thanks. I'm hoping to take the ID3 through some of northern France in autumn so will bear that mind. I assume you haven't had any issues using the wecharge card?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

sidehaas wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:42 pm Interesting to hear some of the Ionities are at poor locations, thanks. I'm hoping to take the ID3 through some of northern France in autumn so will bear that mind. I assume you haven't had any issues using the wecharge card?
The card has worked absolutely fine. The ionity instructions do vary though between the brand new and older units.
Charged this evening at a large 6 bay ionity station at a hypermarket in Hauconcourt. So yes there seems to be quite a lot of ionity variation. It seems the ones off the beaten track seem to be in cheaper venues.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Now arrived in Colmar. Nice smooth quiet motorway run. Drove at 115kph (71.5mph) 3.7mi/kWh seemed a bit of a slowpoke on a 130kph limit but safety first re range 👍🏻
1 charge needed at the ionity at modern but busy service station haut koenigsbourg. Interesting etiquette issues because all 6 bays were full. Each had a waiting parking place. So some arguments about whether the queue was for that specific bay or across all bays. Also some people reversing against the traffic to get to a bay that came free.
In the end I think we need to queue cars before entering the bay complex to keep things in order.
Car again was great.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Perhaps we need to develop some sort of token system, like the take a ticket at the deli counter.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

OB1CCFC wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:19 pm Now arrived in Colmar. Nice smooth quiet motorway run. Drove at 115kph (71.5mph) 3.7mi/kWh seemed a bit of a slowpoke on a 130kph limit but safety first re range 👍🏻
1 charge needed at the ionity at modern but busy service station haut koenigsbourg. Interesting etiquette issues because all 6 bays were full. Each had a waiting parking place. So some arguments about whether the queue was for that specific bay or across all bays. Also some people reversing against the traffic to get to a bay that came free.
In the end I think we need to queue cars before entering the bay complex to keep things in order.
Car again was great.
We're there any Germans from just across the borderlaying down beach towels on the waiting bays to reserve them? 😀

Last time I was in Alsace, I was in Strasbourg for an audit in Dec 2019 and left the main square where the terrorist shooting took place 6 minutes before it happened, to catch the train to Molsheim. That was a close call!
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

ImageWe have now made our way up to the Mosel valley near Krov.
2 more trouble free ionity stops, one in a service station and one off the motorway. The occasional charger has been down and they all seem slightly different models but all worked fine.
The most striking thing is the lack of EV ‘s about in Germany! Literally only seen a handful and most of them are Dutch. Only seen 2 other ID3’s all trip.

9647DE28-5F4B-4E03-97F0-1461C27D872F.jpeg

duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Glad the trip is going well. In general most of the autoroute services have modern chargers. Most are Ionity from my experience. Note the High Speed 350KW or 150KW have higher charges than the 50KW versions. Note the charge curve for the ID3. 50KW maybe the better choice and just as quick.
The WeCharge app / card works well.

Off the autoroute there are a lot of Freshmile chargers. In my experience these aren’t well maintained and often out of order. There are also several chargers located in supermarkets. These however require a loyality card.
In Germany similar situation, and in the towns with many chargers located in Parking garages.

Important when planning you trip to check the ‘community’ on the app. to see if the charger is working
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

duckworthsj wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:47 pm Note the High Speed 350KW or 150KW have higher charges than the 50KW versions. Note the charge curve for the ID3. 50KW maybe the better choice and just as quick.
The clues in the name I guess, but not sure why you would suggest using a 50kW maybe a better choice that, to be frank, is utter nonsense.
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Why is that? When here the 350kw charge fee is 30% per KW more than a 50KW charger and if you look at the charge curve for the ID3 the max charge drops off very rapidly to 65kW. It depends on the % charge you start with.

So depends on the how quickly you need to charge but paying 30% more and using a fraction of the charger’s capacity seems not to make sense.

Whilst you claim it may be rubbish and you may have greater experience in the matter, the objective of this forum is to provide information for people to consider and then make their decisions. It doesn’t need snide remarks
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Just used my WeCharge card successfully on a brand new ENBW charger at a local Lidl.
Only seen one other EV around this small German town and that is a UK Tesla M3.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Tbh I usually choose a 50kwh on my leisure trips simply so I can relax with a coffee and a comfort break for 20 or 30 mins without worrying about moving the car.
Obv it depends on your needs at that point in time. As a retired gentleman of leisure I can usually just swan along chilling…
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

duckworthsj wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:54 am Why is that? When here the 350kw charge fee is 30% per KW more than a 50KW charger and if you look at the charge curve for the ID3 the max charge drops off very rapidly to 65kW. It depends on the % charge you start with.

So depends on the how quickly you need to charge but paying 30% more and using a fraction of the charger’s capacity seems not to make sense.

Whilst you claim it may be rubbish and you may have greater experience in the matter, the objective of this forum is to provide information for people to consider and then make their decisions. It doesn’t need snide remarks
Perhaps if you'd said 'Cheaper and just as quick" it would have made more sense and therefore been a useful piece of information, your statement implied that 50kW was as quick as 100kW that is not the case, whether it's more convenient is a personal choice.
As for using a 50kW so as not to under utilise a 150kW+ charger, I am not sure where that rule came from, I'll use whatever charger is available thanks.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Now in Belgium, near Ghent on my return to the UK.
I have used Ionity for the vast majority of my trip, about 12 different stations. Quite a few variations on charger interface but all have worked smoothly off my WeCharge RFID card with no problems at all. All worked first time, no funny business at all. I only had to queue once for a charger, for 5 mins, the others had plenty of spare capacity.
The only other network I used was an ENWB charger at a local Lidl, twice. Again off the We Charge card and again zero problem.
The car has been fantastic. So smooth, quiet and relaxing. I drove at 115 kWh, could have done 120 I’m sure with the same charging strategy but I was happy enough at 71 mph.
The main surprise on the trip has been the lack of EV’s, especially in Germany. I saw 2 ID3’s and a handful of Tesla’s in 10 days in Germany.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

OB1CCFC wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:47 pm Now in Belgium, near Ghent on my return to the UK.
I have used Ionity for the vast majority of my trip, about 12 different stations. Quite a few variations on charger interface but all have worked smoothly off my WeCharge RFID card with no problems at all. All worked first time, no funny business at all. I only had to queue once for a charger, for 5 mins, the others had plenty of spare capacity.
The only other network I used was an ENWB charger at a local Lidl, twice. Again off the We Charge card and again zero problem.
The car has been fantastic. So smooth, quiet and relaxing. I drove at 115kph, could have done 120 I’m sure with the same charging strategy but I was happy enough at 71 mph.
The main surprise on the trip has been the lack of EV’s, especially in Germany. I saw 2 ID3’s and a handful of Tesla’s in 10 days in Germany.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Interesting. Confidence-inspiring for continental Ionity charging.
I was surprised how few EVs I saw in France in April. Just a few Teslas, one Amie and a (British) Enyaq. By contrast I was in Portugal last week and saw lots - although no VWs that I remember.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
baguette

Post by baguette »

I have driven my ID.3 from Finland to Spain and then Spain back to Finland and found charging across the continent to be quite easy. The trip back up north was the easier of the two, in part because of more experience, but mostly because of using A Better Route Planner, with Android Auto integration and an OBD dongle. ABRP is a game changer. I planned each day's route ahead of time, using my laptop and the web interface, and then called up the appropriate itineraries in the car each day. ABRP's predicted battery consumption was spot on, and I never arrived at a charger more than 2% off from the prediction. Absolutely zero range anxiety.

I highly recommend this setup for anyone wanting to do a long road trip. I'm looking forward to the next one!
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

baguette wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:36 pm I have driven my ID.3 from Finland to Spain and then Spain back to Finland and found charging across the continent to be quite easy. The trip back up north was the easier of the two, in part because of more experience, but mostly because of using A Better Route Planner, with Android Auto integration and an OBD dongle. ABRP is a game changer. I planned each day's route ahead of time, using my laptop and the web interface, and then called up the appropriate itineraries in the car each day. ABRP's predicted battery consumption was spot on, and I never arrived at a charger more than 2% off from the prediction. Absolutely zero range anxiety.

I highly recommend this setup for anyone wanting to do a long road trip. I'm looking forward to the next one!
Interesting. I used to live in Spain and my daughter was at Helsinki university for 2 years so I used to fly Malaga to Helsinki quite a bit. Driving sounds ‘interesting ’!!!!
Spain charging remains a bit of a concern but I may try it in the next year…
baguette

Post by baguette »

OB1CCFC wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:36 pm Interesting. I used to live in Spain and my daughter was at Helsinki university for 2 years so I used to fly Malaga to Helsinki quite a bit. Driving sounds ‘interesting ’!!!!
Spain charging remains a bit of a concern but I may try it in the next year…

The drive is pretty nice, and not too long if you take the ferry from Travemünde, Germany to Helsinki.

If you're driving long distance in Spain, be sure to check out Zunder's network. They're not on WeCharge, but they have some 150+ kW chargers along important routes. Payment via app works fine.